Name one thing that makes you instantly cringe

YIMBY

Tourist
I cringe when someone upholds that something is better simply because it is natural.
This especially comes up in advertisements, where they state their product is all-natural, as if that should mean it is inherently better.
A good example is the 'raw water' fad where people only drink water out of springs or streams, instead of purified bottled or tap water.

Of course, something being natural or not has nothing to do with its merit. But, if 'being natural' actually did make something lean one way or the other, given how hostile Nature is, I would say something being 'natural' might actually mean it is worse, not better.
We have spent eons getting away from Nature for a reason, and we still have not succeeded (as any hurricane or earthquake can demonstrate), so this idea of 'getting back to Nature' would be like shooting ourselves in the foot. The natural world is not something to be romanticized.
The natural/unnatural divide always struck me as rather arbitrary anyway. For example, it's natural for elemental hydrogen and oxygen to react violently propelling nearby items away with great force but nobody ever talks about the natural beauty of a spacerocket.

dartel

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Voice acting of little girls in video games and dubbed anime, many of which perpetrated by Sherry Lynn. Fucking hideous whiny baby voices that make you want to rip your ears off.

ShanoirII

Citizen of Zooville
i cringe when people try to molest the english language and use words to mean what they were not written to mean.
creating more synonyms and connotations only serves to make definitions more broad, so it makes a concise point more difficult to make.
the word fine is in definition for a reason - it is not supposed to be usable in every single scenario.
it is even worse when you are using a word to mean a particular thing, and then someone looks at the third definition down in the dictionary, and tries to pretend like you are talking about the homonym like they are the same thing.

dartel

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
"They're/we're dead in the water" said by someone aboard a spaceship. I don't give a fuck that it has "ship" in the name, you're not on fucking water! Say "we're dead in space" you fucking retard!

ShanoirII

Citizen of Zooville
i cringe when someone calls a mature adult animal "their little furbaby"

i cringe so hard
i see that i should have been more particular in what i meant.
the thing i cringe over is when people refer to / treat animals like they are little impotent and mentally-deficient toddlers without an ounce of dignity who dont know what they want.
thats more along the lines of what i mean

suzyk9

Zooville Settler
When a man tells me "I know how to please a woman."

Really? Which one? I would like to show her a few things!🧐

Last edited:

ShanoirII

Citizen of Zooville
the unironic use of the word 'pithy' makes me cringe, especially when someone uses it to refer to a an elementary or cliché saying you might see on a birthday card or bumper sticker, making it out to be some 'deep' evaluation

YIMBY

Tourist
Pith_helmet_-_Royal_Canadian_Military_Institute_-_Toronto%2C_Canada_-_DSC00325.jpg

dartel

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Retards who pronounce Hyundai with a o and a day. The word is H-you-n-die. There's no fucking o anywhere in it!

"Gluten Free" on things like CORN meal. Of course it's fucking gluten free, gluten is a WHEAT protein!
And what do you think how many ppl know that , the ppl who think gluten free = more healthy? ye right , give that one more thought:)
I really wana pull most labels even legalize most drugs etc , i mean if u wana chug down a pound of heroin , go for it evolution at its finest

ShanoirII

Citizen of Zooville
I cringe whenever someone, usually a professional / pop culture person, tries to do an impression of Middle English, and they obviously have never read a single contemporary document in their life because they pronounce "Ye" with a y-sound instead of a thorn-sound, screw up thee and thou, put exactly the wrong suffixes on all verbs, and obviously do not even try to learn what the linguistic rules were, as if they just throw in "old-sounding" words at random.

Jill 83

Tourist
sitting next to someone eating chips who bites down without first closing their mouths, or just chews with their mouth open the whole time.

I can't even sit through chip commercials on television that exaggerate the sound.

dartel

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
When people say pleaded instead of plead. They're both technically valid, but pleaded just sounds retarded and doesn't follow normal English tense construction. Fleded isn't a valid past tense of flee, it's fled. Why the fucked is pleaded a valid past tense of plea? It's plead.

GoldenGait

Citizen of Zooville
Retards who pronounce Hyundai with a o and a day. The word is H-you-n-die. There's no fucking o anywhere in it!
Hyundai is the Korean word 현대 spelled out in English letters. It’s pronounced…hmmm…how do I explain this lol. The H is a normal H sound. The yun is like the ion in onion. The dai is like the dea in the word dead. Kind of awkward for an English speaker to pronounce correctly. It means new age or present day or something like that.

ShanoirII

Citizen of Zooville
the advertisements on the sides and bottoms of webpages that say "top heart surgeon recommends this simple trick to empty your bowels every morning" alongside some generic photo of a common food item make me cringe

RexShepherd

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
The first 3-5 hours of Final Fantasy X.
Absolutely love the game, but the beginning is so cringe and annoying in many ways. It's more tutorial-ish and being spoon fed information about the world, like, come on dude.

Johnterry4658

Citizen of Zooville
The first 3-5 hours of Final Fantasy X.
Absolutely love the game, but the beginning is so cringe and annoying in many ways. It's more tutorial-ish and being spoon fed information about the world, like, come on dude.
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
The laugh that let's you know one of the seals on Hell's gate has been broken. 😆