my neighbor keeps his dogs in cages all year. What can I do about this?

Laurie

Tourist
So my neighbor has dogs for hunting that he keeps in cages that are about 7x5 feet. He doesn’t neglect them or hit them, he just keeps them in a cage all year. I don’t think he does anything when it get really cold (it got to -20 last year). I emailed my local police department a month ago and I haven’t gotten a response. Is there ANYTHING I can do about this?

I'm gonna get blasted for this but I'm going to say it anyway..........

While it is not ideal what this person is doing they are his animals and he can determine how they are housed. If he is not mistreating them and takes good care of them you really need to mind your own business.

Before I get blasted for that opinion...just remember that a majority of people think that we, as zoo's, mistreat animals and we hate that they make judgements about us. They would like to take our mates away for how WE treat them. Judge not.....

They shouldn't be kept in cages all year round. He probably sees them as outside dogs but surely he could let them sleep in the kitchen at night? And he should let them inside when it gets really cold. Just my opinion.

What kind of hunting dogs are they? That is quite common for old school hunters. I build runs for hunting dogs before with heated foundations before and a good bit of shelter. However mine was 10 by 12.

Me again. Are the cages shut most of the time or can the dogs roam freely around the space they are in?

I'm gonna side with the previous spokesman here. Judge not and mind your own business. There are dogs on this planet capable of handling harsh temperatures and weather conditions and they don't mind beeing in the cold or a small place as long as they get their exercise

Sleddogs for example.
but they don’t get exercise that much

If they are unhappy you should be able to tell, they will show neurotic behavior, complain, have patches of fur where they lick or chew too much, they can be fat (if not enough excersize), dirty fur, strong smell, and so on. Do they seem unhappy?

So my neighbor has dogs for hunting that he keeps in cages that are about 7x5 feet. He doesn’t neglect them or hit them, he just keeps them in a cage all year. I don’t think he does anything when it get really cold (it got to -20 last year). I emailed my local police department a month ago and I haven’t gotten a response. Is there ANYTHING I can do about this?
Mind your own business. That's what I advise doing. Not trying to be hateful but I live out in the country with plenty of hunters and plenty of hunting dogs. Not everyone looks at dogs the same way you do, and I'm sure he takes care of them and wouldn't let them freeze. If he has the money for hunting dogs I'm sure he takes them out often to keep them sharp like any good hunter would do.

His dogs, his rules. I submit: he knows them better than you do. You would not accept him interfering with your pets....let his alone. Far too many times, well-meaning people "help" a critter into a bad place from a good one. My dogs generally go where I go. But do-gooders make me not willing to chance a five minute wait in the car while I pick up dog food. Im afraid the dog wont be there when I come out because a "samaritan" got helpful. That, OP, is fascism. Your ideas are not the only ideas. Your ways are not the only ways....Your idea of whats best may have ZERO bearing on a situation. Have you tried asking the owner about this? Personally, Id tell you to mind your own backyard, as the old song goes. But he might be willing to educate you. Possibly you might educate him.

Back