Music Genre Preferences

What genre(s) of music would you be interested in hearing on a compilation album for zoos?

• Blues

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Classical

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Country

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Electronic

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • Folk

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Hip-hop

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • Jazz

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • New Age

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • Reggae

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Rock

Votes: 66 72.5%

• Total voters

Kynophile

ZooVille Philanthropist
In honor of Zoo Pride, I'm looking into starting work on an album of original music in all styles for zoos to enjoy. Hopefully I can get artists than myself involved, mainly because I have a squeaky tenor voice that serves some genres better than others. But of course, that raises the question of what genres to make. Choose as many as you like, and put some details (artists/songs you'd like emulated in some way) in the comments. Of course, there will be others I can't include in this list, since music is so diverse, but feel free to mention them as well.

80's and 70's Pop and rock for me. In my opinion the 80's is when American pop culture as a whole peaked.

I voted: blues, folk, hip hop, and rock. I mostly listen to other genres so long as its anything between 1964-1997. My main love for music though is the progressive rock genre.

So what will make this a zoo album?

Are you going to have zoo lyrics like I don't know: "My dog gave me, game me his bone" in a sound like "bad to the bone"

Or maybe "That little mare with the white socks on, just winked at me, as she walked on by. To a sound something like the beach boys.

So what will make this a zoo album?

Are you going to have zoo lyrics like I don't know: "My dog gave me, game me his bone" in a sound like "bad to the bone"

Or maybe "That little mare with the white socks on, just winked at me, as she walked on by. To a sound something like the beach boys.

Yes, zoo lyrics. If love songs are the most common, overplayed thing in music, and the emotions behind them are so primal that pretty much all mammals feel them, there's no reason one couldn't make an album of zoo love songs. Hell, arguably one could make such a thing out of existing songs.

I'm surprised that classical is the 3rd most popular vote. I compose classical sounding music myself, I may be interested in writing a piece for it

"Video game music," as a genre, tends to have a specific feel. It describes environments and emotions, instead of relaying a message.

Definitely rock and metal for me. I have nearly 3 albums worth of music I've created since I was 16. They're all original tracks (minus an AIC cover I did many years ago), many have stated that I'm not a bad vocalist either. I've actually been considering recording an original zoo related rock song and uploading it here. But unfortunately, other than maybe the general section, I don't know where I could put it on here.

@Kynophile, as a fellow musician I would love to work on this and collaborate some. Though I don't have much equipment of my own and I suck at singing I would just love to throw some ideas around even.
I realize that this was a few months ago and you may be far into the later stages but I figured I'd drop you a line just to let you know :)

My main instrument is piano/keyboards currently, though I have experience in guitar, violin, and drums. My preferred genres are alternative/indie/pop/rock/metal from the 90s and 2000s, my tastes vary far and wide beyond that though and I'm very open to differing genres from differing eras too!

How is Alternative and Pop not on this list? They are two of the most popular genres of music in America.
Personally I view terms like 'Alternative' and 'Pop' to be umbrella terms as opposed to genres. Pop obviously means popular. Most pop music is pretty much made for clubs nowadays... the lines are hella blurred yknow. I mean take the band Nirvana for example. They could just as easily be classed as 'grunge' as they can be 'alternative rock'.

Back