Money-saving tips for dog owners. Share yours!

This one is just a suggestion, and it depends on a lot of things, but... Consider adopting someone's dog instead of buying a puppy.

A lot of people get a puppy and for whatever reason have to rehome him within the first year. You can provide that dog a good home and also enjoy financial benefits, like:
The dog can be already house trained and grown past his destructive phase, saving you from replacing ruined belongings.
He might come with toys, a crate, leashes and collar, so you don't have to buy that stuff.
The rehoming fee will probably be cheaper than the price of a puppy, especially if the dog is a couple years old.

instead of paying $10-$13 for a pack of 10 K9 specific panty pads (for when she’s in heat and leaking) I went to the dollar store and bought a pack of 100 for like $3 (human and unscented) they work just as good. My dog has been fixed since and I still have some of them left.
Yup, another example of overpriced "pet" product variants. They also sell absorbent cloth diapers for dogs in heat and those pay for themselves by being reusable. But if you're really lacking cash and don't mind a little extra difficulty, a pair of underwear and a safety pin works fine. I'd recommend a black pair of boxer briefs.

"Dog toys" are over priced and inferior quality. "Dog toy" tennis balls are $5 for 2, and will fall apart in short order. You can get a bag of actually tennis balls for about 50 cents a ball, and will last faaaaar longer.
Yes! And for dogs that chew up tennis balls, especially the fuzz on the outside, try racquetballs.

Hi folks
I cook rice and add about 30% ratio to his biscuits.
It stops him from doing really stinky farts. Used to fart a lot when on just biscuits.

Another tip, buy real tennis balls, not cheap Chinese knock offs. They don't last ten minutes with my dog, made with utter rubbish. You can buy them in bulk secondhand from ebay real cheap and they can't be torn up. High quilt rubber!

Keep cheap and budget ball throwers out of the sun when not it use. The sun degrades the plastic because they don't have uv protection in the plastic. They eventually bet brittle when you try to pick up the ball and snap.

I buy a lot of dog food at the same time, so the amount of discounts is also high, and the delivery is free. You have to check how much that dog food costs everywhere, because the prices can be different.
Dry dog food must be buy, not canned dog food. Those who are willing can cook rice and meat if they can buy it cheaper than dry food and can add it to the dry food.

Medicines used to protect against fleas, ticks, and heartworms must also be checked in several places, because the products very have different prices. If you buy always the largest of the solutions that are applied to the skin and distribute it to the dogs with a syringe (if you have several dogs). Or if you can store it without deterioration, it can be used in the next month.

Do not buy snacks or only very rarely. Dog beds, dog toys, dog accessories always cost twice as much as human ones. Complementary medicines for dogs (joints, immune boosters, etc.) also cost much more. It is necessary to examine which human supplement is suitable instead.

Dog leash, collar, harness. A leash can also be made from rope etc.
It is also worth checking the weight/money ratio, I have already come across cases where the same dry food in a 20 kg bag was more expensive than in a 12 kg bag.
Think about your dog's health status, if he is completely healthy, he does not need to buy high-end dry food.
There are also huge differences in price between veterinarians.
In winter, heat to a lower temperature. The dog likes it more, and you sleep with the dog anyway and it warms you. :husky_laughing:

Foam mattresses from IKEA make really good dog beds and are way cheaper based on size compared to actual dog beds. They sell babies cot sized ones for £30 or single bed sized ones for £60 if you have two dogs. The covers seem to be durable too and are usually removable if they need washing.

I've found that items for cats tend to run about 30-50% more than the exact same thing for a human.
Similarly, items for dogs seem to run about double-to-triple the price of the same item for a human.
And the king: If it has the word "horse" or "equine" anywhere on the package, expect to pay between 5 and 10 times what you'd pay for the same item if it was being sold for human use. A prime example: Horsey eye-wash - A 10 ounce bottle was $38.00 last time I was desperate enough to buy it 'cause I needed it *NOW*. But a quart bottle of "opthalmic saline" (eye-wash for people) could be had for $6 and change. Identical ingredients, in identical order, made by the same company, in a bigger package, with a different label, for a little less than 1/6 the price, to get a bit shy of 4 times as much. Can you say "no-brainer"?

Know what preventatives your animals should be on and keep up to date on it. Trust me; heartworm treatment is much more expensive than just getting the monthly preventative.

This extends to almost everything you do in life. If your car's check engine light is on don't ignore it or put a sticker over the light. You can get the codes checked at like an Autozone for free, or just buy a cheap scanner and DIY. Same for your own health; if you notice something wrong get it checked out. (Unless you're in the US, dying is almost always cheaper) Problems that are not handled in a timely manner can quickly become cost prohibitive.

Do some research to see if you can do something yourself first. Faucet leaking? You might not need to call a plumber if you can turn the water supply off, find a replacement part, and install it with the help of a video.
There's no point in having all this medical technology and breakthroughs if we cannot use it. That's the frustrating thing about health care they talk about all these medical advances and yet the typical person has no access to them so why do they even research the stuff if it's just a waste of public resources. (Yes ranting about healthcare as well as medical technologies how it's unaffordable)

Only the 1% is able to use the most of the technology so why do they even bother announcing they can do it.

why is dying always cheaper?

I'm just kidding about the dying part. Sometimes it is true though, especially if the ambulance you need isn't in network with your insurance. A big reason why some people can never escape poverty or improve their credit score is simply because they are weighed down with medical debt that can never be paid off.

Also companies only put money into medical advancements (which includes tech) if they stand to profit off of their research in the future. It's why certain drugs can get so expensive; a company developed the drug and patented it so nobody else can make it. This ensures that the millions of dollars they spent researching and developing the drug are recouped, and then they start to make profit after they money has been made back.

I think that's why the covid vaccine was developed so quickly. Each company wanted to win the contract to produce the billions of doses for the whole world; subsidized by world governments.
And this is why medical Care should be free

Pet or human. It's just wrong to withhold because of funds that can save cases that are 100% treatable / curable. (Triaging by health of individual to save resources instead of prolonging suffering).

Anyways that's great info you shared

And this is why medical Care should be free

Pet or human. It's just wrong to withhold because of funds that can save cases that are 100% treatable / curable. (Triaging by health of individual to save resources instead of prolonging suffering).

Anyways that's great info you shared
there is no such thing as free. re-read sheppermutt's post: millions goes into research for human or pet stuff. that money has to come from somewhere

one of my big money saving tips: look at the health of the parents before getting a pet, often a pet store or backyard breeder will have more health issues than a well bred line of that breed. here in the US a cheap lab, doodle, or other "in" breed is only cheap to buy then the expenses start

there is no such thing as free. re-read sheppermutt's post: millions goes into research for human or pet stuff. that money has to come from somewhere

one of my big money saving tips: look at the health of the parents before getting a pet, often a pet store or backyard breeder will have more health issues than a well bred line of that breed. here in the US a cheap lab, doodle, or other "in" breed is only cheap to buy then the expenses start
This is true hereditary diseases can occur down their genetic line

Biggest money saving tips: buying a bigger bed allows you and them sleeping in the same area instead 2 separate bed. You can share the comfort as well as them getting the same memory foam treatment

I just remembered another money saving tip. Often I see people stating "Oh, I can't buy a cheaper vacuum, otherwise it'll burn up in 3 months from the dog hair! So I bought a $369 Shark vacuum instead."

And, if you want to spend that much on a vacuum, and you have the means, go for it! However it is completely unnecessary. You most certainly CAN get away with a cheap vacuum. However you must perform a bit of maintenance on it every 2-5 vacuumings.

Located near the brush roller almost every vacuum cleaner has a surrounding panel with 4-7 Philips screws in it. Remove the bottom panel, and clear the fur out of the belt, and make sure that the suction hole in the back is free of debris. Most of the time the problem is the fur that gets trapped in the middle the belt, which will not only causes excessive heat, but also puts strain on the roller motor. Once you pull the fur out, put the roller back in place and screw the bottom cover back on. (Make sure the vacuum is cool, otherwise the belt will be hot.)

This may sound complicated to some, but it's actually stupid easy! If you have a drill, I'm not even exaggerating, it literally takes less than 5 minutes to do! Just remember to set your drill to the absolute lowest setting since your screwing things into plastic.

I went nearly 3 years with a cheap $49 dollar vacuum from Walmart. The only thing I did to keep it running that long was clean the fur out of the belt after every 2-4 vacuumings. $49 is way cheaper than forking out $369 for the expensive vacuum!

And, if you want to spend that much on a vacuum, and you have the means, go for it! However it is completely unnecessary. You most certainly CAN get away with a cheap vacuum. However you must perform a bit of maintenance on it every 2-5 vacuumings.

Located near the brush roller almost every vacuum cleaner has a surrounding panel with 4-7 Philips screws in it. Remove the bottom panel, and clear the fur out of the belt, and make sure that the suction hole in the back is free of debris. Most of the time the problem is the fur that gets trapped in the middle the belt, which will not only causes excessive heat, but also puts strain on the roller motor. Once you pull the fur out, put the roller back in place and screw the bottom cover back on. (Make sure the vacuum is cool, otherwise the belt will be hot.)

When I was much poorer I used to get a new vacuum every year or so by fishing one out of the dumpster and cleaning it. Amazing how many people will throw something away because it's plugged up and they don't realize/care that it can be opened and cleaned.

Anyone with a long haired breed will appreciate the advice to clean the vacuum every now and then, pull/cut the hair wrapped up on the roller brush, clean out the passages, etc.

When I was much poorer I used to get a new vacuum every year or so by fishing one out of the dumpster and cleaning it. Amazing how many people will throw something away because it's plugged up and they don't realize/care that it can be opened and cleaned.

Anyone with a long haired breed will appreciate the advice to clean the vacuum every now and then, pull/cut the hair wrapped up on the roller brush, clean out the passages, etc.
Indeed, it still baffles me how many people will just throw away perfectly fine vacuums, or they'll let the vacuum belt get clogged to the point where it burns up the motor. I remember on my old vacuum I had neglected to clean the fur out after 5 or 6 vacuumings during shedding season. I could smell the motor burning up, the roller was making a whining noise, and it wasn't spinning like it should. But after a 5 minute cleaning it was back up and running like it should be. Had I further neglected to clean it, it too would have likely completely burned up like it does for so many people.

Although, nowadays, I would be very hesitant to fish a vacuum out of the dumpster. From what I understand vacuums can potentially be magnets for bed bugs and their eggs. Gone are the days where you could DDT them back to hell form whence they came. But if you can keep a cheap vacuum going, that's more money you have to spend on your canine companions!

Ok, the following ideas are all long term projects. Also financing the first point will not be easy but worthy when possible. I am slowly working on them myself:

1 Over time you need to find a suiting location. Consider areas that are not as urban and ideally also have taxes as little as possible.

2 Start producing your own food. Start slowly by planting a few vegetables and herbs, either in pots or directly in the garden. Start at a small scale to get experience. Than plant more and more. The more you plant, the more it is usefull to have a property that is big enough, this is why I initially recommended to move to a non urban area. I started small recently and my goal is to have a small remote farm with enough space for homesteading. Farm animals are part of my future projects.

3 Consider getting into hunting.

4 and I forgot to mwntion, and I am doing this for quite a while: cook more of your own food instead of buying premade dishes or eating outside. I am doing this for a year. I am doing it mire and more often and I am getting better and better. Some people also suggested preparing the food for the dog, which is a good advice and I need to attack that topic ASAP

Being Frugal, one of my fav. subject :)

A related tip (animal products for human)

A great moisturizer cream humans can use is TSC Udder Balm. Cheap and very good.

Save momey on bath/showertimes,
Take your grubby darlings to nearest deep bit of water, bring your shampoo, (2nd tip, dog shampoo is far better than anything ive ever tried, gets any grease/muck out amd doesnt sting like fuck when you get it in your eyes!) Send a tennis ball in to said water, dogs follow, get them out, cover them im shampoo, throw ball in water again! Repeat as needed, clean,excercised non stinking dogs!

I just remembered another money saving tip. Often I see people stating "Oh, I can't buy a cheaper vacuum, otherwise it'll burn up in 3 months from the dog hair! So I bought a $369 Shark vacuum instead."

This may sound complicated to some, but it's actually stupid easy! If you have a drill, I'm not even exaggerating, it literally takes less than 5 minutes to do! Just remember to set your drill to the absolute lowest setting since your screwing things into plastic.

I went nearly 3 years with a cheap $49 dollar vacuum from Walmart. The only thing I did to keep it running that long was clean the fur out of the belt after every 2-4 vacuumings. $49 is way cheaper than forking out $369 for the expensive vacuum!
I have 1 of those silly expensive Shark things, its bloody fantastic! Came from tip, it had a screw in pipe on a bend, all the stuff collected round it. 10 mins poking and ratching and that was it. Even treated it to some new filters. All my vacuum cleaners come from tip, never usually much wrong with them.

About prices and supplies...

Threats:
Small wiennervrrankfurts at thecsupermarket, as low as $2 four pakets of 5 sausages. You have a pack in the refrigerator, freeze the others

Horse supplies:
6ft strong, thick, comfortable "leash" for $5. If you can hold a 1000pound horse, it can likely do for a 150 pound dog.

A 2$ plastic horse brush is *best* one I've found so far for long haired breed. Also, some simple $6 horse halters double quite well as big dog harness. Just cheaper and sturdier.

Aliexpress, handle with care, quality may vary and sometimes more ecpensive thsn local market.

DIY: Seriously, wood boards, screws, and even bricks and masonery are cheap to build dog houses, bath tubes, etc. Industrial plastic containers also do quite good bath tubes

About prices and supplies...

Threats:
Small wiennervrrankfurts at thecsupermarket, as low as $2 four pakets of 5 sausages. You have a pack in the refrigerator, freeze the others

Horse supplies:
6ft strong, thick, comfortable "leash" for $5. If you can hold a 1000pound horse, it can likely do for a 150 pound dog.

A 2$ plastic horse brush is *best* one I've found so far for long haired breed. Also, some simple $6 horse halters double quite well as big dog harness. Just cheaper and sturdier.

Aliexpress, handle with care, quality may vary and sometimes more ecpensive thsn local market.

DIY: Seriously, wood boards, screws, and even bricks and masonery are cheap to build dog houses, bath tubes, etc. Industrial plastic containers also do quite good bath tubes
Dunno where you are, but around here, putting the word "horse" on *ANYTHING* means that it costs AT LEAST 3, sometimes as much as 8 times as much as THE IDENTICAL ITEM that isn't labeled "horse".

Dunno where you are, but around here, putting the word "horse" on *ANYTHING* means that it costs AT LEAST 3, sometimes as much as 8 times as much as THE IDENTICAL ITEM that isn't labeled "horse".
Here this happens more when the label says "dog", possibly because horses are infrequent and dogs are people's "baby"

Will depend on the shop, but here the Decathlon franchaise has some decent basic line sport products at affordable prices (catalog looks more extensive here, though)

You might help a kennel by housing a breeding dog :)

A lot of dog breeders. Common usage, not ours 🤣 are looking for owners who won't spay or neuter so the breeder can use the dog to have litters eventually. They can only own so many. Good opportunity to help somebody out who is also passionate about a breed haha!

Warning that you're basically sharing the dog with the breeder. This is great for medical costs for example. And not so great if you're anxious about not letting on, if your relationship with the dog deepens eventually.

Just get involved in your breeds of choice and offer a great life for a dog. We're all here because we love dogs for other reasons too.

A lot of dog breeders. Common usage, not ours 🤣 are looking for owners who won't spay or neuter so the breeder can use the dog to have litters eventually. They can only own so many. Good opportunity to help somebody out who is also passionate about a breed haha!

Never heard of this one in here, but might be because I have never gone for pedigree / breeding quality dog myself.

Still, an interesting concept.

You might help a kennel by housing a breeding dog :)

Warning that you're basically sharing the dog with the breeder. This is great for medical costs for example. And not so great if you're anxious about not letting on, if your relationship with the dog deepens eventually.

Just get involved in your breeds of choice and offer a great life for a dog. We're all here because we love dogs for other reasons too.
I have this set up with the breeder I got my pup from.

Back