made friends with a new dog today

Out on my morning walk i ran into a dog who i assumed to belong to the person that owned the property he walked off of, im out in the boonies right now so i didn't think anything of it when he started scouting ahead of me, the person i thought was his owner didn't say anything about it and was leaving as i walked past. So this dog ends up walking ahead of me a good 50 feet my whole walk and ended up coming back to where im staying. I figured he was jsut a country dog allowed to roam the area and that he qould eventually head bacn where i found him.
Well he ended up sticking around for most of the day, so eventually we went back out for another walk around the neighborhood to bring him home; he has a collar on but no tags or anything to id him. plot twist nobody in this little back neighborhood im in had ever seen him before, and a few neighbors thought they had seen another dog in the area as well. Tomorrow we've got a local vet coming out to check if hes chipped; For now hes taken uo residence on our porch. Hopefully we can get him back to his owner assuming there is someone who wants him back; but judging by where i am and the locals not being familiar i fear he might have been abandoned. If that were to be the case, this boy got lucky because ive been interested in getting a dog since i moved out if my parents place and i would give him a home in a heartbeat. Hes a beautiful mix of what looks like pit and shepherd with coloring like a corgi and he may be the sweetest dog ive ever met; super affectionate, tolerant of my host's pups climbing around on and trying to play with him and even good with the local chicken flock. Whatever ends up happening with him i just want him to be as safe and happy as possible, but i will admit that if he does have an owner, ill be pretty sad to say goodbye to him.

Last edited:
So far Buddy has still been haning out here, apparently yesterday morning he wandered off for a few hours but was back by the time i woke up and he stuck around all day. Last night he dissapeared around 10, i looked for him for about an hour with no sign, but he was back by morning and is now back sleeping under one of my hosts car. Still none of the neighbors ive spoken to recognize him but we still arent sure if hes a stray, or if when he wanders off he goes back "home" either way he seems kinda underweight and he does stick pretty close to me whenever hes here. We also have yet to hear anything from the found dog posts weve made in local reddits and facebook groups.

So after i thought Buddy had gone back to his original home and i hadn't seen him in like 4 days he just showed back up, now collarless and with a friend; this new dog seems to be a blonde German shepherd mix. Buddy seems to still be doing well and got super friendly as soon as i stepped outside, and the other dog seems friendly but more on the skittish side, which is unfortunate considering she seems to have a few engorged ticks stuck to her and possibly some kind if cut on one leg. Hopefully they're both still around by the time the sun is up and i can do something to help Buddy's new friend. Sad to think that they really are strays or had been abandoned but im incredibly glad to see Buddy back and ok.

I hope you can take them both in and get them taken care of. If you aren't into female dogs or are looking for a home I could take care of her. She sounds like she needs some serious help. Man I wish I could help get her treatment x.x

Unfortunately once the sun came up yesterday, the chicken coop got ripped open and we lost our whole flock. Luckily i was able to run them both off before my hosts got ahold of them, and after a few hours once things calmmed down everyone agreed that Buddy had already proven himself as cool with the birds from when he was around before, so he should be safe. Also with his collar being gone consensus has finally swung to him being stray and probably a roadside dump so at this point assuming Buddy comes back again i think i can convince my hosts to let me keep him on property; unfortunately best i can hope for the other one is that they dont come back here and they find someone to take them in. I wish the news wasn't so shitty and i feel awful about the whole situation but ill do whatever i can to at least give Buddy a good ending to all this, ill keep updating if theres any good news.

Last edited:
Update: i roll up after work tonight and buddy was back, and looked to still be doing good. I sat and hung out with him for a while and got him some food and water. As far as i know hes still probably out by my car. No sign of the other one though

Back