Let's talk about hormones and bones

chrispbacon

Zooville Settler
We all know what spaying/neutering is. Recently i wondered why we don't really talk about the physical consequences, especially when it comes to bones.
Before and while I was taking estrogen blockers, my endocrinologist always told me to take calcium and vitamin D supplements, because out body needs sex hormones for our bones! That's why old women tend to get osteoporosis. I wonder if it also affects other animals like that.
What i did read though is that spaying increases the chance of bone cancer and some orthopedic problems.

Speaking of cancer and kinda off topic "spaying prevents testicular/ovarian cancer" is such a weird argument to me. If i remove my lungs i can't get lung cancer either lol

For those people who castrate their animals the "benefits" of that outweigh the dangers. Or this type of genital mutilation is so much part of their culture that they do not think about it at all. Do not forget that a seriously large number of people see animals as something that is under humans, it is here for us to use it and control it. So if their dog can be surgically modified to behave differently, why not do it right?
You also get people who cut dog's vocal cords or declaw cats for the same kind of benefits.
Obviously not all people think so extremely and there are legitimate circumstances when castration is a good idea. But to me the castration propaganda seems to be based on allowing people to stay lazy and careless by modifying their animal.

So stupid, but neutering wasn't around forever. Humans throughout history had always dealt with horny ass dogs. I bet you it was more socially acceptable to "service" dogs since they can't masturbate and people were just bored back then.

So stupid, but neutering wasn't around forever. Humans throughout history had always dealt with horny ass dogs. I bet you it was more socially acceptable to "service" dogs since they can't masturbate and people were just bored back then.
In Victorian times ppl believed that rabies was caused by sexual frustration (no really) so they would get their dogs laid to try to prevent it. I bet you anything there were thousands of people history never recorded jerking their dogs off or going even further w them to try to prevent rabies.

In Victorian times ppl believed that rabies was caused by sexual frustration (no really) so they would get their dogs laid to try to prevent it. I bet you anything there were thousands of people history never recorded jerking their dogs off or going even further w them to try to prevent rabies.
Haha oh I'd love to prevent rabies then :D

Back