Least Favorite Dog Breeds

Desire

Tourist
What are your least favorite dog breed's and why?

Personally, I dislike many small dogs (especially Chihuahua's) mainly because some people think their aggression is cute so they don't train them to anywhere near a normal standard. I find this ties into them treating them as they would human children rather than animals with different needs than humans. Also many look like oversized rats which personally does not appeal to me.

Of course I have met well trained and good looking small dogs but I find them to be the exception rather than the usual.

I am not so fond of brachycephalic breeds ie French Bulldogs, English Bulldogs, Shih Tzus, Boston Terriers, etc. I don't see the appeal of a misshapen dog who spend a compromised lifetime trying to "breathe through a straw", because their trachea is severely narrowed.
Almost every Bulldog and Frenchie I see require upper airway surgery at some point in their life, just to mildly improve their quality of life.
And they cannot reproduce naturally without veterinary assistance, which is so sad.

Any brachycephalic breed like German Boxer, French Bulldog, Old English Bulldog, Pug and so on.
Sadly the Rottweiler is slowly becoming brachycephalic, too. This enrages me, ya'll wouldn't believe. And I see the same fate for the Cane Corso. I don't know why people go for extremes after a while.

Other than that... Here's a list of the other breeds I don't like for various reasons, feel free to ask:

-Husky
-Rhodesian Ridgeback
-Great Dane
-Australian Shepherd
-Long Coated German Shepherd
-Every dogbreed with wired hair

This is not in order tho

Any brachycephalic breed like German Boxer, French Bulldog, Old English Bulldog, Pug and so on.
Sadly the Rottweiler is slowly becoming brachycephalic, too. This enrages me, ya'll wouldn't believe. And I see the same fate for the Cane Corso. I don't know why people go for extremes after a while.

Other than that... Here's a list of the other breeds I don't like for various reasons, feel free to ask:

-Husky
-Rhodesian Ridgeback
-Great Dane
-Australian Shepherd
-Long Coated German Shepherd
-Every dogbreed with wired hair

This is not in order tho
Great Dane? I've always found them so lovable!

Great Dane? I've always found them so lovable!
For me, they seem to be slightly "dumb" if I may say.
I also am not a fan of the size because it is absolutely nonfunctional in any way. They are too big for even themselves and I feel like for them it's kind of hard getting around. I don't know why, but they just don't look healthy to me.

I also am not a fan of the size because it is absolutely nonfunctional in any way. They are too big for even themselves and I feel like for them it's kind of hard getting around. I don't know why, but they just don't look healthy to me.
Ahh that makes sense! I like how them seem so "dumb" - it's cute to me. But I do agree that they're size is awkward, especially for themselves.

Curious about why you dislike huskies myself!
Honestly, I think they are extremely overrated. Everyone thinks they are beautiful because of their fur and their blue eyes (which aren't even as common as you'd think). The traits that make them beautiful for seemingly 100% of human population are really only the coat and the eyes.
I've seen so many huskies and heard so much of them, that I kinda got used to them. They don't look beautiful to me anymore, they look regular as fuck, as they don't even have structural traits that make them unique. But that is only my opinion tho.

And for some reason huskies have been getting smaller, I don't know why that is.

Their personality... The only thing I like about them is their general friendlyness. But they usually don't care about training, their preydrive is too much, they are very hard to handle since they are intelligent as fuck but also independent and don't want to do anything else than running.
I imagine it being hard to encourage them to do something else. Something that a Shepherd would do in a heartbeat.
Also, I am only talking about well bred Huskies. Huskies from backyard breeders, pure family dog parents and puppymills are messed up. Either it's some traits missing, decreased or they are anxious, nervous and have aggression issues (same for any other dog breed)

Pretty much any small dog. Especially ones curly hair. Small dogs always seem to be greasy and have that reddish brown shit coming out of their eyes. Gross. Makes me cringe every time. Get a real dog please, not a gross looking Shih Tzu or god forbid a Chinese Crested.

Personally, I dislike many small dogs (especially Chihuahua's) mainly because some people think their aggression is cute so they don't train them to anywhere near a normal standard. I find this ties into them treating them as they would human children rather than animals with different needs than humans. Also many look like oversized rats which personally does not appeal to me.

Of course I have met well trained and good looking small dogs but I find them to be the exception rather than the usual.
Been bit by more small dogs than large ones;
seems those little noise makers are great pets for a Boa or Python.

Maybe because they aren't as much bred for work anymore and more as a fashionable pet? Show labradors also lost some leg length.
It's sad tho. Huskies never have been tall dogs but people still feel the need to ruin breeds.

Curious about why you dislike huskies myself!
Oh my god: The shedding! Twice a year, Huskies shed their undercoat and everything you own will be covered in fine white fur. In some cases permanently. This while sending Roomba around the house every day and human-vacuuming once a week. And the rest of the year, they still shed constantly but at a slower rate. Washing them at home is a mess of wet undercoat fur stuck to everything in the house. Groomers charge more for the hassle. Potential Husky owners beware!

This won’t be popular but 24 stitches in the head at the age of six from a German Shepard makes them my least favorite. I know that my grand father probably got him from a mill or neighbor and that a well bred shepard is a great dog just not for me.

I love ALL breeds!! Including the little ones even though I have sex with big muscular dogs. I've house sat for a family with 2 little Chihuahuas and a minpin mix and loved them so much! Not everything has to be about doggy knots and sex

Great Danes can be stubborn, this is what can be confused with them "being dumb". They're not, they seem to know and understand a lot more than one would expect. They also can read their human very well. They're big, yes, but then again, if you love dogs, why not have a whole lot of dog, right?

In small dogs category Dachshund aka sausage dogs are my favorite.
Funny small dog with a big personality.

I really really dislike pretty much any dog under 20 pounds, especially if it has 'toy' somewhere in the name.

Overbred, sick, horrible and nasty little things that are owned by people who think their aggression is cute or who dress them and coddle them and treat them as toys so those nasty behaviors are reinforced

Great Danes can be stubborn, this is what can be confused with them "being dumb".
Nah, I really tried to teach a Great Dane something. I don't know man, they are extremely slow and you'll have to repeat the same thing over and over again, every god damn day until finally, they understood what I want from them. But maybe I am just used to shepherds. Shepherds learn way faster (but also easier to fuck up because of that. Every good thing also has a bad side).
I don't doubt that Danes can precisely read the body language of humans, because that's normal for any dog, no matter what breed. If a dog couldn't read it's owner after growing up with him/her or humans in general, then I'd consider that dog to be at least mentally underdeveloped in some way.

But yeah, my experiences. It's not a dog for me, even if they are extremely easy to handle.

I love pretty much all dogs, regardless but I have to chime in to the "no brachy's" crowd. I don't approve of any kind of cruel dog breeding practices. I don't think dogs should be as heavy and mis-shapen as most mastiffs are with droopy skin and splayed toes, nor do I approve of the short legs and long backs of dachshunds.
Dogs have to be able to run, smell, jump and enjoy life!!

Oh, and to the Great Dane conversation.. most big dog breeds are too lazy to do anything. Especially if they live in hot climates. Their bodies are cumbersome and they tend to avoid doing anything extra. They just are not made for exercise. They can also be dumb lol, but that's something I cannot comment on. I've had REALLY stupid dogs, but they were still great and adorable companions <3

I do appreciate a dog that has a great wit, and a body which will not randomly break because of structural problems.

'No dog is a bad dog' is something I've always said and still stand by - though I will say, the vast majority of Dalmatians I've met always seem to be a little tweaked. Not sure what it is but they almost always go for mine (My family keeps Setters, so that may play a part. They're lovely but ever so dumb), as well as younger kids. Could just be my luck however ?‍♀️

'No dog is a bad dog' is something I've always said and still stand by - though I will say, the vast majority of Dalmatians I've met always seem to be a little tweaked. Not sure what it is but they almost always go for mine (My family keeps Setters, so that may play a part. They're lovely but ever so dumb), as well as younger kids. Could just be my luck however ?‍♀️

Dalmatians sufferred badly after the Disney movie 101 Dalmatians. There was a great demand for them as people wanted "those cute disney animals" in their homes and it was a disaster. Dalmatians have a temperament more similar to a German Shepherd than a cute companion dog, and ppl didn't realize this. The high demand also meant they got bred like crazy with no regulation, so their nervous system got fucked. Now-a-days they tend to be leery and bite without growling to warn others, reactive and unhinged. It's got better though and meeting the breeder will help a lot to weed out the crazed individuals since this trait is hereditary.

They also suffer from a genetic disorder which makes their pee have crystals in it, this leads to a lot of bladder and kidney problems.
There would be a better strand of Dalmatians with no problems with uric acid, but they are considered a different line, and it took 30 years for them to be even accepted as Dalmatians despite their obvious better health. The Dalmatian kennel clubs vehemently attest that a dal with uric acid problems is not ill and one with no uric acid problems is not better than one with problems, but that's how breed clubs work, I have little faith in them and what they consider a healthy dog - just look at what they did to pugs and bulldogs and still claim they are healthy dogs with good proportions. Sigh.

Back