Is having purebred is like indirect abuse?

D

Donea

Purebreds suffer lots of health problems that exist in a first place cause people breed them in order to look good. I don't think it's moral. I want to get a doggo myself and I'm considering getting non-thoroughbred one. I don't want to for instance have pog that just beein suffocated cause of his head shape.

Showing ruins lots of breeds.
Breeds to get judged by the clock All by the work they do usually have no problems

Purebreds suffer lots of health problems that exist in a first place cause people breed them in order to look good. I don't think it's moral. I want to get a doggo myself and I'm considering getting non-thoroughbred one. I don't want to for instance have pog that just beein suffocated cause of his head shape.
Depends of the breed and the breeder I would think. While french breeders try to breed the french bulldog back to the state of 1900, german breeders still want to spawn alien mutant dogs. Can't be generalized. I prefer and had only mongrels, though. My terrier mix was healthy till he got almost 17.

Depends of the breed and the breeder I would think. While french breeders try to breed the french bulldog back to the state of 1900, german breeders still want to spawn alien mutant dogs. Can't be generalized. I prefer and had only mongrels, though. My terrier mix was healthy till he got almost 17.
makes sense

That’s a pretty general statement. I can’t speak for other countries, but here in the US, breeders breed for health and temperament. Genetic testing, hip and elbow certifications, pedigrees...it’s all for breeding a healthy and happy dog. Yes there are some outliers, such as pugs. And GSDs have had a terrible breeding history. But any reputable breeder, which is ideally the type of breeds you would purchase a puppy from, only and exclusively breeds for their pups health and temperament.

You have to understand 2 things about breeders:

1: They are a business. And they won’t stay in business selling sick or unhealthy puppies. Backyard breeders can and will try but they always fail, and reputable breeders who breed quality pups stick around.

2: The whole point and purpose of dog showing, is to show the ideal specimen of a breed. That means perfect coat, perfect gait and structure, good temperament, receptiveness to training and a whole bunch of of the criteria. The literal purpose of dog shows are to show the best of the best of the breed. That’s it. It’s not a for profit thing. They are NOT bred to look good. The AKC does not mess around when it comes to this stuff. You cannot show an unhealthy, poorly bred dog. Nor can you be backed by the AKC if you chose to breed said dog.

My recommendation to you: if the pups health is as important to you as you make it seem, which it very well should be, stick with an AKC breeder, assuming you’re in the US. The AKC has tons of resources and help available to help you find the right breeder. A puppy from an AKC breeder will come with a pedigree showing multiple generations of ancestors, numerous healthy checks, genetic tests clearing the pup of genetic diseases such as DM, the OFA certifications of the parents as well as their genetic tests, and most puppies come with a health guarantee, where if say the poor pup developed severe hip dysplasia at 6 months, they may help cover the cost or offer you another puppy, every breeder is different. Do some research, getting a mutt because you think it will be healthier is completely backwards.

[...]I can’t speak for other countries, but here in the US, breeders breed for health and temperament.[...]

[...]They are a business. And they won’t stay in business selling sick or unhealthy puppies. Backyard breeders can and will try but they always fail, and reputable breeders who breed quality pups stick around.[...]
That makes a lot of sense. I generally was told that if I get purebreed its gonna have higher risks than typical dog. I also have problem with prices. I know that you don't cheap on breeder to not end with pet that dies year after. I'm looking for some dog to be affordable, but not sick or just hostile. I even doubt if I can have dog, cause I might not have enought of funds to ge to vet with it in the end. I kinda feel like I am doing all the reserch to have a bit of fun of pretending of going to have dog than having a real one.

What yoyre
That makes a lot of sense. I generally was told that if I get purebreed its gonna have higher risks than typical dog. I also have problem with prices. I know that you don't cheap on breeder to not end with pet that dies year after. I'm looking for some dog to be affordable, but not sick or just hostile. I even doubt if I can have dog, cause I might not have enought of funds to ge to vet with it in the end. I kinda feel like I am doing all the reserch to have a bit of fun of pretending of going to have dog than having a real one.
What you’re referring to is a backyard breeder. Someone who just breeds pups for the money with no care for their health. Quantity over quality. Those you should avoid.

I completely understand reputable breeder feeling unobtainable. When I was looking for my first dog, all I wanted was a GSD. I reached out to a couple breeders and couldn’t some of their prices. Lowest i found was $1500. Some were over $5000. Being 18 and barely an adult, that was beyond unobtainable to me. So i get it. But I got a little older, got more experienced with dogs, and learned that it’s worth it. I’m only 22 now. I got my male Malamute last year as a puppy from a wonderful breeder, paid $3000 for him, and had to drive 12 hours across the country to pick him up. Totally worth every penny! He is the happiest, friendliest dog in the world, and it shows. Save your money, don’t impulse buy like I have. Save your money, find a nice breeder that you like, and go from there.

[...]Save your money, find a nice breeder that you like, and go from there.
Good advice, but problematic in execution. I wont be able to gather such sum in a few years and also I might have problems with vet bills or general maintenece costs.

Just do your research....the medical problems mostly stem from inbreeding not necessarily the pure breed nature...now some breeds are susceptible to more things than others but as long as you can track the mom and the dad of a pure breed you get you should be ok. Just make sure it isn't the 5th generation of incest pups or you increase the risk significantly.

Just do your research....the medical problems mostly stem from inbreeding not necessarily the pure breed nature...now some breeds are susceptible to more things than others but as long as you can track the mom and the dad of a pure breed you get you should be ok. Just make sure it isn't the 5th generation of incest pups or you increase the risk significantly.
I heard there are some like familly trees. Like books or something that you can check. I that true?

That all being said, genetics can still fuck things up. Health testing and having the pedigree can put the odds in your favor of having a healthy pup.

It is a myth that mixed breeds are healthier. That is not how genetics work. The offspring of any mixed breeding can get any of the traits from either parent. You can get the best of both parent's breeds or you can get the absolute worst. We still have no way of knowing until the pups arrive and grow up some.

You can track lineage. Not sure if it's in a book or not. Typically if it's a full breed pedigree they have papers you can track.
I heard there are some like familly trees. Like books or something that you can check. I that true?

I'm not a breeder, but I have been doing the leg work on finding an ethical breeder for my family's dog. As stated, purebred pedigrees have papers on the parents and preceding generations, however most breeders are only concerned with the most recent 3 or 4 generations. I'm sure, if someone wanted to do so, someone could sit down and work backwards, but that would be more hassle than it's worth.

Be prepared to be looking for a while. Most breeders have waitlists and people can be on them for years. Ethical breeders should not overbreed and should take the time to match the pup to the prospective buyer.

If you are worried about health, perhaps find a mix of at least two breeds like Shepherd/Rottweiler... but you never know for sure. Even with good breeders, they are not focused purely on health since they also try to hit breed standards. However, for ethics you could easily make up ground by finding a pet that needs rehomed or adopted and give your pet as good of a life as you can.

You may be interested in this article about breeding for health not looks,

Last edited:
The only pit fall of having a mixed breed is you have to make sure you keep them in a good kennel or home when your away, you don’t want them loose in the neighborhood mounting every female k9 they see. Not that a pure bred wouldn’t do the same.

The dog breeding world is A LOT more nuanced than “purebred vs mixed breed”.
For one, a dog is only as healthy as the dogs that went into creating it. If someone breeds unhealthy parents or genetic carriers you'll likely get unhealthy offspring.. This applies to both purebred AND mixed bred dogs. When mixing two different breeds together that are prone to different health problems, it isn’t going to cancel out and magically produce healthy offspring. For example breed a Boxer (prone to cancer and epilepsy) with a GSD (hip dysplasia). Oftentimes a pairing like this may double down on the health issues. And while yes, there are particular issues that a certain breeds may struggle with within their gene pool, that does not mean that entire breed is doomed to have such issue. Genetic health testing and OFA testing is hella important, which is why reputable breeders health test to avoid these specific issues. If seeking a puppy from a breeder (whether purebred or mixed) it’s important to do thorough research and buy from a reputable breeder.
This also brings up another point, which is purebred does NOT equal “well bred”. Papers doesn’t automatically equal quality. Hell, puppy mills and bybs get their hands on AKC registered dogs all the time, and will slap two dogs together and advertise the pups as AKC. Doesn’t mean that they’re healthy nor quality.

I have wondered this myself. It seems to me as though, at least in the US, its luck of the draw when it comes to actually purchasing puppies. I will say that the way my husband and I came across and bought our girl was a bit unorthodox, but probably pretty normal within most of rural America. I heard through word of mouth that someone was selling pups (tuned out to be a backyard breeder situation, but was done rather well from what I could see), but the puppies had no lineage or paperwork, though they were being sold as pure bred labs, which does appear to be the case.

My girl seems to about as robust of a Labrador Retriever as they come, though she is technically not recognized as so by the AKC. And, I really couldn’t care less. She is very healthy, and shows no defects or concerns with conformity. Buying dogs strictly for their papers, or how they appear, or whether or not they’re “purebred” is fucking stupid as hell. As long as the dog it happy and healthy, who cares what their bloodline is?

Back