Informed consent and power dynamic as it relates to bestiality

UKdog

Tourist
I posted this on zoocomunity, but i thought I'd post it here too and hopefully more responses:

Informed consent and power dynamic as it relates to bestiality with reference to a moral framework.

I want to add view/opinion on informed consent and also play devils advocate in regards to bestiality (act of sex with animals).

I was listening to a debate (By the Youtuber Destiny) on incest and it overlapped with bestiality;

Incest moral argument
The point was once you move past the intuitive response aka the gut feeling that most ppl would have that something like incest is morally wrong. You realise that there as few moral and ethical argument against incest within the parameter that follow, If the 2 family member are both consenting adults who engage in non-reproductive sexual activates (any activity not resulting in conception e.g. use of contraceptives or non-penetrative sex) then what reason is there against incest. The point being incest is morally and ethically neutral if its acted upon under these condition.

Though a valid counter argument that i want to revisit in regards to bestiality, is power dynamics (aka if a boss or landlord proposition you for a sexual activity, though there may be legitimate attraction and consent from the worker/tenet you could never truly know if this were the case as the power dynamic dictated that you do not know the repercussions if you refuse and so can be coerced into sexual activities).

So in the case of insect if it were between parent and child even if the child were a consenting adult, or between older and younger siblings you can argue there is a power dynamic that can be abuse. A counter point to this is what if incest occurs between siblings of the same age and both consenting adults, the the only good augment again this counter point is that normalisation of this though morally neutral incest could encourage incest between individuals where a power dynamic could be abused.

Bestiality moral argument
Informed consent is all that is necessary for two animals (including humans ofc) to engage in sexual activities.

Ok, as far as bestiality and informed consent, I'd like to brake this into 2 parts; starting with consent:

I think it fare to say that animal including human can consent through non-verbal communication whether for or against sexual interaction, e.g. for a human analogue take an indigenous member of a tribe who have never had any contact with the outside world. If you meet them you would not share a language, culture, day to day life-style, religion etc and there would also be distinct physical differences (e.g. skin colour). Yet i'm sure you would all agree that if you attempted to proposition sexual interaction they would be able to understand your intention and clearly through body language and basic sound of affirmation or displeasure, display whether they wanted to engage or not.

I think this relates directly to our animal counterparts, e.g. with a dog if they are not happy with what you are proposing they will make it clear through body posture, eye contact how how they hold their head, if there willing/happy to come over to you when they smell sexual oder or see sexual prompts, to name a few, and again basic noises or affirmation or displeasure where they are interested, You don't need to be a dog whisper to pick up on these they're clear and obvious.

Though I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here i think this is a good anecdote for non-human consent.

-

Now to focus on the informed part of informed consent, as mention in another thread (Consent flow chart) in comes down to the understanding of associated risks, so if the following parameters are meet the the consent should be considered informed:

To begin with there must be an understanding of what sex and sexuality is, which all animals including humans reached with adulthood and sexual maturity, if the animal has reached these then it can be said they have an understanding of sex and sexuality(as far as attraction), further that both partner have been checked for any zoonotic diseases (though rare this must be accounted for), that there are no mechanical/physical incompatibilities (aka large enough dog that penetrative sex is not distressful or harmful), that the activity takes place in a safe environment (not dangerous during or lead to negative repercussions later on aka sex in public place) and finally that clear consent is shown.

-Also in the absence of coercion via a discipline system. (I was tempted to include reward incentive too, but if an animal make the choice to exchange service for food what is the moral argument against (aka prostitutes are morally neutral and it it hard to argue why exchanging sexual favour for money in a safe environment is detrimental/immoral, and or isn't directly an expression of consent). If you put peanut butter on your genitals then your dog is gaining food and human affirmation and the human is gaining sexual gratification what is wrong with this?

If these are meet, i believe all risks are mitigated and so consent in these parameters in informed.

Devil's Advocate - Moral argument against bestiality (Please counter this point)

This is an argument that I'm really struggling to morally and ethically argue against so I'd love to hear and counter points to this.

Power dynamic - This was the major counter point against incest (and though i dislike to draw comparisons to it, the second major point again paedophilia, the first ofc being informed consent) and i believe it strongly applies to bestiality, and that is simply it's impossible to get over the owner-pet power dynamic, (example here is for dogs) you control ever aspect of there life from what and when they eat to when and where they defecate to only state a few, this mean that using this argument (see PD augment explained at top) its hard to truly say if a response to a requests from the owner by a pet is ever fully or totally autonomous decision and not predicated on this relationship and the possible repercussions.

Even in an extreme case lets say the dog has full control over freedom of movement and isn't curtailed in anyway by the human, and is feed by an automated system to remove association with humans (or hunts/scavenges), and was generally able to wonder freely, then that dog would still known that human were above dogs that if a dog snapped at him he could snap back but if a human did the same then this reaction wash not acceptable due to societal and cultural norms, which would be incredibly hard to not learn if they had live around human for any amount of time.

This power dynamic remains and i don't see how it can be over come, (even if you are not a dogs owner and they were brought up wild, humans have a clear domain over animals as far as genetic predisposition to temperament relating to humans) to the point were pray had to develop a genetic fear of human and you take dogs, maybe one of the more genetically divers from their original phenotype seen as wolfs, there must be genetic factor for submission to human will, and they would have been selected for by early human. Even truly wild animals e.g. a wolfs would have genetic knowledge in regards to humans, that at a minimum they were dangerous and higher in the food chain.

Conclusion:
I know this is a long read and congratulation if you made it to the end, I've thought a far bit about informed consent (and it somewhat silly to think animals cannot at least in the moment and during sexual activity and make decisions whether they are comfortable or not with the situation), but i can't overcome the argument for the power dynamic and how it relate to consent and its impactions involving bestiality.

I look forwards to responses.
(P.s. please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors, further forgive any mistakes in my moral/ethical chain of reasoning)

Last edited:
The only rational argument against consensual bestiality I can see is the power dynamic one. Animals have little in the way of legal rights & are often owned as property. If a dog bites a human to tell them to stop doing s/t they don't like the human can have the dog killed but if a human hits a dog for doing s/t the human doesn't like the dog has no legal recourse.
So what's to be done abt that? Personally I think everywhere should have bestiality laws like Germany: legal if there's no animal abuse involved. So as someone said in another thread, just don't rape.

Dear UKdog,
thank you for posting your thoughts on this.
You have a point on the PD and I don't have an idea of an scenario where the PD is obsolete. I guess I have to think about this a while :)

If a dog bites a human to tell them to stop doing s/t they don't like the human can have the dog killed but if a human hits a dog for doing s/t the human doesn't like the dog has no legal recourse.
The dog knows nothing of this possible consequence, so its not a part of his decision finding and, imho, is not a part of the PD.

Dear UKdog,
thank you for posting your thoughts on this.
You have a point on the PD and I don't have an idea of an scenario where the PD is obsolete. I guess I have to think about this a while :)

Thanks, its a tough on to get round.

The dog knows nothing of this possible consequence, so its not a part of his decision finding and, imho, is not a part of the PD.

I think V4rmint was pointing out the inequality in where human and animals are held and that there a a vastly disproportionate reaction to physical harm depending who inflicts it, the "higher status" human can do so much more to an animal is there socially considered a lesser being. Consider the moral dilemma how many canine live are worth 1 human life, the majority of the population would stack those dog corpse high before they let a human die.

The power dynamic can be eliminated by simply waiting for the animal to ask for sex. If you make it known to them that you are available using means common to their species, the great majority of them will ask when they want it. If you hang out with large animals (I prefer stallions) the power dynamic can easily favor the animal.

The power dynamic can be eliminated by simply waiting for the animal to ask for sex. If you make it known to them that you are available using means common to their species, the great majority of them will ask when they want it. If you hang out with large animals (I prefer stallions) the power dynamic can easily favor the animal.

That a very interesting point, i agree in the circumstance that a person had never attempted any kind of sexual interaction, because in the case of you showing your willing it would have to be in a completely non-sexual manner, as the power dynamic inclines them, that as you're their master that they may have to have or are expected to initiate a sexual interaction with you. But if it was a completely unprompted proposition then it would seem to overcome the power dynamic between animal and owner.

What if you raised them from when they were young, they would trust you more and could be called grooming

It's only grooming if you raise them to expect sexual contact before they get the idea themselves
Grooming is based on what you did the animal being sexual before doesn't make it not grooming. It might not be called grooming here but look at what grooming means it it's not even only used for sex crimes.

Grooming is based on what you did the animal being sexual before doesn't make it not grooming. It might not be called grooming here but look at what grooming means it it's not even only used for sex crimes.

I feel grooming is slowly desensitising a person or animal to sexual play, maybe it just rubbing or touching one day, maybe its showing a video another, the point is that your taking advantage of your position of power to make these little steps and in the future your could successfully proposing sex, or cause the participant to think its expected for them to initiate sex. This would be classic power dynamic abuse. And i guess again you could relate it to animals though once an animal.

Last edited:
I feel grooming is slowly desensitising a person or animal to sexual play, maybe it just rubbing or touching one day, maybe its showing a video another, the point is that your taking advantage of your position of power to make these little steps and in the future your could successfully proposing sex, or cause the participant to think its expected for them to initiate sex. This would be classic power dynamic abuse. And i guess again you could relate it to animals though once an animal.
It just means setting up the stage, it's just more popular because of the whole pedo thing. Look at what it is in agile, I do remember seeing it is used when government sets up someone to do something (not sex related) but I can't even find those definitions anymore...

Yes but it is for something you want which imo is always true, but people will just deny it or keep repeating the same (rolleyes)

Yes but it is for something you want which imo is always true, but people will just deny it or keep repeating the same (rolleyes)
Funny thing is i wouldnt be put in that category i care about is simply her being on her best dog behavior as possible. Simply let everything natural happen

The point of grooming is taking advantage of a power dynamic, that why, if you tried the same thing with a fully matured, consenting adult and they wanted to do it, it would just be good fun, the point is with a power dynamic you never know if their decision is not influenced by the power dynamic (aka the inequality between the two and so power one has) and not an autonomous decision. You can never know the truth if a person wants to have sex or is being influences by the others power and so their action may not represent their true intentions/choices.

Last edited:
The point of grooming is taking advantage of a power dynamic, that why if you tried the same thing with a fully matured, consenting adult it and they wanted to do it it would just be fun, the point is with a power dynamic you never know if there decision is not influenced the the power dynamic (the inequality between the two and so power one has) and not an autonomous decision. You can never know the truth and so there action do not represent their true intentions/choices.
Simply just forcing a decision in their mind before it was even thought about

Funny thing is i wouldnt be put in that category i care about is simply her being on her best dog behavior as possible. Simply let everything natural happen
If it is illegal where you live do you think the judge will accept that reason?
The point of grooming is taking advantage of a power dynamic, that why if you tried the same thing with a fully matured, consenting adult it and they wanted to do it it would just be fun, the point is with a power dynamic you never know if there decision is not influenced the the power dynamic (the inequality between the two and so power one has) and not an autonomous decision. You can never know the truth if a person what's to have sex or is being influences by the others power and so there action may not represent true intentions/choices.
Adult do get groomed but it is legal. Power dynamics is also something that people will call grooming so you have not escaped this. Someone could groom you for 5 years and someone could groom you for 1 day because you trust them.

The only argument that can be used against power dynamic, is if the act was initiated by the animal. If the animal initiates the act you can be sure they wanted it, you can't change the power balance as that is the status of the relationship but the human can act by the terms of the animal. You could counter it and say there is a power imbalance between a men and women, but they are still able to maintain a healthy relationship together by going by each others terms. They will most probably hit on the "each other terms", then you can possibly explain how you set boundaries for the animal in order to make it sound like a partner relationship instead of an slave and owner relationship :)

The only argument that might be an issue is how will the animal be protected from abuse if they can not report the act?

Last edited:
I completely reject the very concept of consent.

This does not mean that I think we should go around raping people, but I don't think of it in terms of "violating consent." You have committed rape when you have made somebody feel used, ignored, manipulated, and deeply hurt based on a sex act with that person, whether you intended to do so or not, but it is something I think that you can still do after seemingly receiving permission from that person. It is not a crime of being "technically morally incorrect, but it is a crime where you cause profound damage to somebody that can haunt them for the remainder of their natural lives. I reject the idea of consent because I think that it is harmful to base our sexuality on a contractual system that is open to abuse and sophistry. "Mansplaining" is an unintentional consequence of trying to base how we engage in sexuality on such a shallow and empty deontological construct. It has created a generation of "consent lawyers." I am a hardcore consequentialist. Question: are you a cognitively functional adult? Great! I think you should be expected to be able to figure out if your approach to sexuality could potenitally cause unnecessary suffering for another human being, no excuses. I don't care how the rest of society thinks of it. Look at the world around you with clear eyes, and if you can't figure out that the rest of the world is fucked-up, then we have unreconcilable differences of opinion, which is a nice way of saying something else. What has gone wrong with the world is that they have made the task of being a "good person" into a complicated mess based off of stilted and pretentious contractual concepts that are wide open to being subjected to endless rounds of bad faith casuistry, and it's gotten to the point where you practically need a PhD to figure the whole fucking system out. You don't need to be a philosopher to refrain from being a fucking jerk, and the morality of the 21st Century is a failed, bankrupted crock of shit. The flawed and unpardonably stilted 21st Century notions about "consent" will not stop you from eventually getting accused of rape. You avoid getting accused of rape by not being an obtuse, selfish asshole toward the people that you are attracted to.

If all that you did was fuck your female dog during her heat cycle, then I am pretty sure that she appreciates it. I hope you tried to get her to orgasm, though, because if you did not, then you are a very bad boy and need to be punished. Just kidding...however, it is a good idea. It greatly enhances your own experience. From what I have heard, the orgasm of a bitch dog can cause incredible sensations for the person penetrating her. Anyhow, female dogs get so horny, during their heats, they make you feel guilty for not satisfying them, and generally speaking, they tend to enjoy sex as much or more than any human female.

If you approach the sex act with the intention of making it mutually pleasurable for both yourself and your dog, then I think that any argument whatsoever that you have done any injury whatsoever to that dog is based on toxic moral casuistry, and I have contempt for such casuistry.

It might upset most people to tell them that the early 21st Century concept of "consent" is a flawed one, but the early 21st Century has been a flaming dumpster fire, in general. Riots, insurrections, political instability, and the Middle East becoming even more fucked-up than it already was. If the first two decades of this century is any indication of how the rest of the century is going to go, then we are in for a total trainwreck of a century, courtesy of a toxic mixture of self-righteous Boomers, aloof and socially detached Gen Xers, and narcissistic asshole Millennials. Shame on all of the authors of this fucked-up century.

Rethink the entire idea of consent, or burn it.

This is an interesting topic. As a female, the dynamic with a male dog is very different than the dynamic between a male and a female dog. I believe if he (male dog) initiates, then it is most certainly consensual with a female (human or dog really).

I know when my shep initiates there are times I am not in the mood or not interested or a myriad of other reasons and I will say no, and he may or may not stop. Eventually, if he gets his way, is that consensual? I think so be cause at some level I am letting him have me.

fascinating topic

if it was a completely unprompted proposition then it would seem to overcome the power dynamic between animal and owner.

I've had countless dogs I'm pretty sure never had sex with a human, or even had manual stimulation before try to initiate sex. Unprompted. See there is always gonna be a counter argument made by those against bestiality because it is taboo and we are a eccentric minority. A hated one at that. We could rationalize until we are blue in the face.

Simple fact is the act of sex with animals isn't culturally accepted. People judge what they don't understand and choose to not understand what they judge. It's how it's been for a long time. It's dumbfounding that someone can assume ALL animals lack a sex drive and can't/don't initiate sex out of their species when it happens throughout the animal kingdom (Truth is it's common view because people 'desexualize' dogs {take away their sex drive surgically})

Take for example how many dogs are fixed for 'unwanted' humping habits directed to people. Do you think any of the 'Antizoos' have ever observed a horny dog willingly initiating a full on sex act with a human? Do you think any of them have observed the animals body language thoroughly?
do you think they even gave it a second thought?

No, therefore their argument is based in theory that they're trying to imply with no tangible basis behind it, no valid examples to back it up, It's all an unfounded conclusion, trying to paint a bad picture on every act of bestiality and make it seem like its 'fact'. There is NOT a power dynamic involved in bestiality that is done ethically with the animals choice to engage or not in mind before any act happens, within logical reason, that is seeking informed consent, said animals free will is being respected and they are aware they have a choice. Dogs are entirely capable of turning down something they don't desire and can refuse to cooperate. Even sex acts within their own species. Otherwise AI wouldn't have been invented to work around bitches who won't allow themselves to be mated

On the other hand A dog is undoubtedly capable of expressing when they want something! They will make it known if they enjoy it or desire it. If a dog is initiating a sex act with another dog for example the other dog could turn down the invitation or indulge in it and seek out said stimulation. They absolutely have a form of consent through their body language that is backed by studies of the sexual behavior of dogs. The same applies for a sex act between a human and animal. If a dog is horny they will express it with body language and sexual behavior directed at a potential mate.

Dogs give informed consent in the same way two humans would nonverbally, for example they'll show an interest in your genitalia, and attempt to a initiate the act. They'll see what your response is, if you engage that is mutual consent, even if a human initiates and the dog responds positively there is no difference! This 'barrier' that divides the sexuality of dogs from humans is an illusion! The only difference about consent when it comes to bestiality is the method of communication because it's a species that doesn't speak a verbal language similar to ours

Saying and believing something because it's 'common view' doesn't make it truth. Observation and logic would get people much farther in understanding us but of course the majority will stay blind in their hate and closed off to reason. I could go on for days but what's the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
you are right...i mean, most people are against it and nothing will ever change that. That is a shame, forced me to keep this part of my life a super secret. i do think there is a bit of consensual when the dog or whatever animal initiates. i mean, he is starting, he wants it, he might not completly understand like we do, but he wants to have it

Back