Idea to cut down on the constant barrage of "Why can't I send PMs", "Why can't I join groups?" etc from the newbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

UR20Z

Dumpster Diver
I've seen other forums (dunno if they ran this software package - perhaps they did and I just didn't notice - or perhaps they didn't... ) where a new signup gets an automatic PM dumped into their inbox when they first log in. Depending on the forum, maybe it's a "Hiya, welcome to the Area 51 Forum - cafeteria on the left, delousing to the right, welcome back from Arcturus meeting at 1:00 PM in the conference room, straight ahead to the anal probe victim support group, down the stairs and to the right for Venusian engine maintenance, etc, etc, etc" type thing, or maybe it's a list of "thou shalt NOT!" commandments, or... You get the picture.
Does this forum-ware have that ability? "Force" a "canned" PM to a user?

If so, it would strike me as a REALLY good idea to either turn it on (and build a short-but-informative bit of text) that they get "force-fed" via PM?

Seems to me that it would (at least possibly...) cut down AT LEAST SOME on the "Why can't I send PMs???" "How come I can't join groups?" and similar newbie queries. Hell, maybe even throw in something like "The "what dog has the biggest cock?" thread can be found at <insert link here> but you're gonna be disappointed to hear that there is no real answer to that question" and so on...

I feel like a simple “need 10 posts” everytime you try to pm someone would be better
2 ways... A forced pm saying needing 10 posts before you can pm

Or a bot to manage specific words then delete it.

Well... The third way is to allow them to pm someone however a bot will hit them with " not at X status"

I'm still fairly new to the site. I've been taking my time with posts and not just spamming for the sake of unlocks.

I believe I'm at ten comments now but reacts, groups and PM's are still off limits. Have I misunderstood how this works?

I believe I'm at ten comments now but reacts, groups and PM's are still off limits. Have I misunderstood how this works?
No, you're just impatient like all the other posts asking that same thing. Like all the response to all of them state, it's not instant, you have to give the server time to update your permissions.

You're right, they are unlocked now.

I think there's a usability issue here. The post stickied doesn't mention that the process takes time after the tenth post. I tried to search "why can't I pm" but the search function is broken.

I believe op is correct. If it's possible to do so, sending a pm to every new member would avoid some of these teething issues.

As a newbie, some hint would have been appreciated.
Different forums works differently, and given that the message when I first tried to join a group was to contact the site admins, that was what I did.......
An introduction PM would have been greatly appreciated!

Different forums works differently
Knowing that, logic should tell you that there are new member restrictions in place, and only an incredibly poorly run site would not have such restrictions posted publicly. People just need to learn to stop and think for a second and look for the information that's already there rather than opening their months and expect it to be fed to them.

Knowing that, logic should tell you that there are new member restrictions in place, and only an incredibly poorly run site would not have such restrictions posted publicly. People just need to learn to stop and think for a second and look for the information that's already there rather than opening their months and expect it to be fed to them.
But barring the sudden development of common sense (which, as we know all too well, ISN'T particularly common) at least a "flyer" with such info dumped into a newbie's inbox will likely have to do...

If so, it would strike me as a REALLY good idea to either turn it on (and build a short-but-informative bit of text) that they get "force-fed" via PM?
Yes this would be a good idea. Currently it does not happen. I have also asked about and suggested this several times.

Something along the lines of read the rules here:
And:
New members:
Why new members can't PM or join groups.
Following permissions.
PM attachments
Liking posts and other features are also limited for new users as above.

@ZTHorse

Yes this would be a good idea. Currently it does not happen. I have also asked about and suggested this several times.

Something along the lines of read the rules here:
And:
New members:
Why new members can't PM or join groups.
Following permissions.
PM attachments
Liking posts and other features are also limited for new users as above.

@ZTHorse
Fixed. All new users will be given a direct initiation PM with the links provided. Thread closed.

Fixed. All new users will be given a direct initiation PM with the links provided. Thread closed.
We are getting some odd threads asking what 10 public posts means.
The rules page has changed a little over time with more explanation.
Maybe the welcome message depending on what it contains should be updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back