I want to pet a cow more but I am afraid.

L

Lunebleux

I am used to pet dogs,cats and horses but I am having a hard time petting cows. I am afraid that they will bite me etc.

Any tips to have a better approach with cows in able to cuddle them more? I usually like to give nice cuddles.

I am used to pet dogs,cats and horses but I am having a hard time petting cows. I am afraid that they will bite me etc.

Any tips to have a better approach with cows in able to cuddle them more? I usually like to give nice cuddles.
Farm animals are not really much willing to be pet. One thing is coming near you, a different thing is to be ok with you coming near them. You need to ask someone with a pet cow or one raised with people and used to us.

If it is just to pet and get your fear away I see no problem talking with a farmer or visiting a country fair.

Btw: Cows do not bite, or at least not seriously like a horse. They lack all the upper teeth so it would take a seriously mean cow to do serious damage. Now, get deeper into the molar zone and it is a different story...

Farm animals are not really much willing to be pet. One thing is coming near you, a different thing is to be ok with you coming near them. You need to ask someone with a pet cow or one raised with people and used to us.

If it is just to pet and get your fear away I see no problem talking with a farmer or visiting a country fair.

Btw: Cows do not bite, or at least not seriously like a horse. They lack all the upper teeth so it would take a seriously mean cow to do serious damage. Now, get deeper into the molar zone and it is a different story...
What do you mean by molar zone??

They are carnivores fear them 😂🎉

They are usually very gentle you just simply get to know if they are comfortable with you

Cow's are curious creatures. But unless they know you you won't be able to pet them. There not as dangerous as people make out, they can't bite you, unless you go sticking your hand in there mouths.

Even with cattle I've raised, there's still some who are really skittish when im around. since it's in there nature being a pray animal. But the vast majority are extremely friendly once they get to know you especially when you work and live around them like me.

Cow's are curious creatures. But unless they know you you won't be able to pet them. There not as dangerous as people make out, they can't bite you, unless you go sticking your hand in there mouths.

Even with cattle I've raised, there's still some who are really skittish when im around. since it's in there nature being a pray animal. But the vast majority are extremely friendly once they get to know you especially when you work and live around them like me.
I mean there's so many movies with cows they are always so.... Just There. I'm sure some cows would accept being petted

What do you mean by molar zone??
Teeth at the back of the mouth. Front teeth do not have upper to match. The obes inside are the crushing part, but they are far inside and you need to put your *whatever body part*.

I doubt a cow will bite. They WILL gore you, trample you, kick you.
Yep. That is the real danger. Stepped, kicked, head butted and be *really* careful you do not get near a calf protecting cow 😅

I mean there's so many movies with cows they are always so.... Just There. I'm sure some cows would accept being petted
Of course. Those knowing you are going to pet or scratch them will gladly let you. But generic farm animals, even free roaming cows are just neuteal to human presence and usually fall into the conservative "keep distances" edge.

I have had a dozen "wild" (free roaming, left to fatten in the mountains) young cows following me (for a taste of dry bread and apples) and still will mostly move away if hand went three inches distance, come back and follow us calmly if we just stood.

Had to hurry to the car before they fully circled it for more food. I was thinkingg Larson's cartoon 🤦‍♂️

These are wise words from Zoofucius:

If the cow you fear
Petting her you should avoid
Be cautious always

Last edited:
My experience with petting cows was me slowly walking past a row of maybe 50 feeding cows at a farm and petting their heads/noses one by one. Wasn't a fan of the smell burning my nose (ammonia buildup?), but it was funny and heartwarming to observe how much their reactions varied from cow to cow. Some of them were merely curious, some instantly caught on to the headpats and seemed to demand more, some started licking my hand, some were nervous or frightened and shifted back from my hand, they didn't let themselves get pet at all... In a single row of cows you could witness a whole kaleidoscope of personalities. And yet they still had traits common to all of them, such as that none of them were aggressive in the sense that they'd try to bite my hand or similar (well, a few tried to chew it, but that stemmed from curiosity rather than anger).

I guess that being afraid of them is natural, considering how big and heavy they are. It's true that a cow in theory has the strength to kill a grown man with ease. But consider that they're prey animals by nature, further bred for docility, and you get huge scaredy softies either unaware or reluctant of their might. There's something profoundly philosophical to it that I find really fascinating and sad actually. You have up to hundreds of these huge creatures per farm, each of them up to a ton in weight or more, each of them capable of ending a human pushing them around, if they ever set their minds to it. It certainly is within their brain's physical capacity to do. Yet they almost never do. They let themselves be treated like trash, or outright openly murdered, and so often they just don't even seem to care that there's a covert predator visiting them day to day, whose hands both feed and kill. My mind goes back to how politicians treat people in modern society and how for so many of us our position is barely different from the cows.

I often think about whether such a thing as a cattle uprising would ever be possible. What would it be like if every cow and bull somehow magically decided that they've had enough with humans? I'm reminiscing of a very nasty and miserable novel, Cows by Matt Stokoe, that devotes half of itself to a cattle uprising (and to stay on our own topic, includes even a few scenes of bestiality).

Last edited:
Back