I think I am going to get a husky maybe

DaddyDomDog

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Haven't decided yet. But I think I can handle an active noisy dog that sheds.

Anyone have any experience owning huskies?

Make sure you research them fully before deciding one is for you. There's a lot more to owning a Husky than being able to cope with how active they are, and how much they shed.

They are often expert escape artists, highly independent (which demonstrates itself as stubbornness), and will think nothing of destroying everything within reach if bored.

If you can cope with all that, they are excellent companions.

Make sure you research them fully before deciding one is for you. There's a lot more to owning a Husky than being able to cope with how active they are, and how much they shed.

They are often expert escape artists, highly independent (which demonstrates itself as stubbornness), and will think nothing of destroying everything within reach if bored.

If you can cope with all that, they are excellent companions.
Yeah I considered that. Thank you for going more indepth too because the escape is a concern my property is easy for dogs to come and go.

Anyone have any experience owning huskies?
Yes.
No, you will never handle the amount of fur. You will just learn to drink your tea (or beer?) and ignore the hairs between your teeth. Same goes for sleeping on your pillow and ignoring the hairs between your teeth. Same goes for walking with socks anywhere in the flat and ignoring the furballs on your feet.

This proves a difference to "handling": more of "what doesn't kill me, tends to stick everywhere".

Yes.
No, you will never handle the amount of fur. You will just learn to drink your tea (or beer?) and ignore the hairs between your teeth. Same goes for sleeping on your pillow and ignoring the hairs between your teeth. Same goes for walking with socks anywhere in the flat and ignoring the furballs on your feet.

This proves a difference to "handling": more of "what doesn't kill me, tends to stick everywhere".
I am fine with that. I have hardwood floors it will sweep right up.

Sure, it does. You can actually sweep the floor, pick the bed mattress and your clothes around thousand times a day. Doesn't take long per individual process, but provides no staying condition, hehe.

I just tend to ignore it nowadays and clean the dust collector mats around once per week by scrubbing them with a hard sole, effectively rolling the fur together.
To remove the fur balls loosely hanging everywhere, I slap the duvet out really good and generate a small storm in the room. Most fur balls in the room gets rolled or flying to the dust collector mats (sometimes called floor protective mats as well) and stick there. This makes cleaning easier.

If one would try to clean after each piece of visible fur that appears, it tends to result in stress and loss of time. Two hours later you'll find new pairs of fur hairs. It is as it is.

For people with sensitive family or friends that they want to keep or visit, lend yourself a big bag of shedded fur of another nordic dog owner and empty it in the front of a strong air fan in the house of the poor people. If they still smile, you can keep both: dog and family. If they don't smile anymore: I suggest the dog, who needs sensitive relatives. :husky_whistle:

Sure, it does. You can actually sweep the floor, pick the bed mattress and your clothes around thousand times a day. Doesn't take long per individual process, but provides no staying condition, hehe.

I just tend to ignore it nowadays and clean the dust collector mats around once per week by scrubbing them with a hard sole, effectively rolling the fur together.
To remove the fur balls loosely hanging everywhere, I slap the duvet out really good and generate a small storm in the room. Most fur balls in the room gets rolled or flying to the dust collector mats (sometimes called floor protective mats as well) and stick there. This makes cleaning easier.

If one would try to clean after each piece of visible fur that appears, it tends to result in stress and loss of time. Two hours later you'll find new pairs of fur hairs. It is as it is.

For people with sensitive family or friends that they want to keep or visit, lend yourself a big bag of shedded fur of another nordic dog owner and empty it in the front of a strong air fan in the house of the poor people. If they still smile, you can keep both: dog and family. If they don't smile anymore: I suggest the dog, who needs sensitive relatives. :husky_whistle:
Dog stays always

Are they good lovers?
They show some behavior traits more often than others and love a good caretaking of their needs. At least the female ones, with males my experiences are interest-limited. :husky_wink:

They also show their wishes and request quite graphic & acoustic.

Back