How to work with strays?

What are some tricks of the trade you like to use in befriending in strays? Any warning you would like ro give to new people before they try to make a new friend?

You have to, like what @Goattobeloved said, gain their trust. Take them in get them back to full heath and be kind to them. It's possible that they have never known anything other than hostility so be careful about approaching them. If you get down to their level and face away from them with an arm out and away from your side let them come to you. Sometimes enticing them with a treat helps but you still have to wait for them to initiate further contact. Other than that once you've been together for a month or however long it might take to build a healthy companionship with them then you can pursue furthering the relationship.

Ive only done this once, found a stray, it was a german shepherd mix with something smaller, he was a bit older and fat. So anyways I gained his trust with a subway sandwich. He hopped in my car and seemed to know what to do, so I know he had a home. We drove around for a bit with the windows down, I thought if we somehow drove past his home, he would smell it and want to get out, but no luck. It was night so I took him home and gave him a bath, as he was pretty smelly. I noticed he wasnt neutered, as lota of strays tend to be. - they are out looking for dog pussy. So I did what he wanted, grabbed his cock and let him go to town. He fucked my hand like a jackhammer, almost knocking me to the bathroom floor. I Left his knot out, squirting and bobbing into the bathtub for a while, and then eventually cleaned up abd dried him off. I didnt put him outside because he could easily escape, and instead had him in the house. Unfortunatrly he peed on a few places in the kitchen, so I had to put him in my dogs cage.

Next morning, brought him to the shelter, they found a chip! His owners were notified and I stayed there for a few hours it took for them to come and get him. It was quite a fun time.

So you're molesting other people's animals without their knowledge/consent.
Wow. Way to interpret a sentence fragment in the worst possible way. I guess it's official. You are my first bullshit flamer. Getting flamed for something you actually say is one thing, but this is a whole new level.

I meant that I'll always find a home for a stray. They generally stay with me.

Flame on...

Food is a great way to make friends with stray dogs. Case in point, befriended a big boy German shepherd who comes by with his pack, absolutely loves me (before you ask, no I have no plans to ever attempt anything sexual with him cause I don't do boys) and then a couple of girl dogs in his pack also come along. She wags her tail when she sees me but always maintains a 6 foot distance. (So don't get offended if they don't ever wanna warm up to you, still feed them anyway). Doesn't matter if I get to pet her or not, still feed her and any other stray that might stop by the house. Sometimes I watch recordings from my security camera from the previous night and see all the dogs, cats, raccoons and possums that come by. Makes me feel like food Santa or something IDK

Food is a great way to make friends with stray dogs. Case in point, befriended a big boy German shepherd who comes by with his pack, absolutely loves me (before you ask, no I have no plans to ever attempt anything sexual with him cause I don't do boys) and then a couple of girl dogs in his pack also come along. She wags her tail when she sees me but always maintains a 6 foot distance. (So don't get offended if they don't ever wanna warm up to you, still feed them anyway). Doesn't matter if I get to pet her or not, still feed her and any other stray that might stop by the house. Sometimes I watch recordings from my security camera from the previous night and see all the dogs, cats, raccoons and possums that come by. Makes me feel like food Santa or something IDK
I see you are also good at keeping distances to avoid bites in the forum. 😁

Yes, agreed. Many times the best reward is seeing you are able to get them to rely on you. Been there too

Isn't the microchip just a random serial #? Is there an easy way for joe blow to convert a microchip to a contact?

Yes, but if there a chip you can suspect there is an owner you can contact.

It IS just a serial number, but if you get it to vet and the owner has bothered entering number and contact data in a database the can find them... If they also bothered keeping it up to date.

Personally I see no big benefit in a personal reader. Just have a vet check that. If none, basic heath, deworming, vaccines even uf you finally have to release him (Assume some strays will not survive in a house)

Back