How to avoid neutering dog

StrangeGem

Lurker
There is a rural shelter a few towns away that does not neuter the dogs while they are there. They put the responsibility on the person adopting the dog. Is there any way to avoid neutering the dog I get? If that is not an option can dogs still fully function if they have had a vasectomy or chemical castration? Has anyone else had experience with a shelter like this before? Did they check on the dog after you had taken it home.

Most of those shelters typically have you get the pet fixed.

Personally, I would look locally, or a up to a couple hundred miles away for a litter up pups needing new home. That way you have more flexibility to pick out exactly what you are looking for. When selecting the puppy from a litter....watch for the one most interested in you...the one who wants to be near you....sits with you and such....if they all seem more interested in the other puppies instead of you....I’d pass....and wait till you find the right one....

Most of those shelters typically have you get the pet fixed.

Personally, I would look locally, or a up to a couple hundred miles away for a litter up pups needing new home. That way you have more flexibility to pick out exactly what you are looking for. When selecting the puppy from a litter....watch for the one most interested in you...the one who wants to be near you....sits with you and such....if they all seem more interested in the other puppies instead of you....I’d pass....and wait till you find the right one....
Thanks for the advice I'm probably gonna just get a puppy,,, I just feel a little guilty when there are so many dogs that need homes. And a lot of breeders have neutering agreements or have the pups fixed before you get them. But I guess there are always unwanted pups and stuff on Craigslist that might be my best bet

Where I live at we have a newsprint Magazine that comes out once a week. The magazine is a local classified ads zine. They cost only a few dollars. I think they sell classified ad magazines in any state. People call the number and pay $15.00 to place an ad. It is mostly ads for used cars, but they sell boats, motorcycles, jet skis, and musical instruments. In the back people are always selling puppies. They usually sell for $50.00 but the more sought-after purebreds can cost up to $250 - $700. It is a good way to get a dog within a two-hour drive of your house instead of looking at an internet ad for an over-priced $700 - $2000 dog that you have to make a six-hour drive to pick up. They sell the magazines at local gas stations.

A word of warning about those classified ad puppies. Get them vaccinated and get them dewormed at a vet as soon as you get it. Make sure you know what the puppies of a particular breed look like. No one sells a German Shepherd for only $75. People will sell you a pup that is a half black lab and half chow. You won't even know it until it is six months old. If they tell you that they have papers on only one of the dogs but not the other then that is a good sign that you are being scammed. Keep in mind that papers can be faked.

Where I live at we have a newsprint Magazine that comes out once a week. The magazine is a local classified ads zine. They cost only a few dollars. I think they sell classified ad magazines in any state. People call the number and pay $15.00 to place an ad. It is mostly ads for used cars, but they sell boats, motorcycles, jet skis, and musical instruments. In the back people are always selling puppies. They usually sell for $50.00 but the more sought-after purebreds can cost up to $250 - $700. It is a good way to get a dog within a two-hour drive of your house instead of looking at an internet ad for an over-priced $700 - $2000 dog that you have to make a six-hour drive to pick up. They sell the magazines at local gas stations.

A word of warning about those classified ad puppies. Get them vaccinated and get them dewormed at a vet as soon as you get it. Make sure you know what the puppies of a particular breed look like. No one sells a German Shepherd for only $75. People will sell you a pup that is a half black lab and half chow. You won't even know it until it is six months old. If they tell you that they have papers on only one of the dogs but not the other then that is a good sign that you are being scammed. Keep in mind that papers can be faked.
Thank you! I honestly didn't even think about the paper lol... I don't think I've ever bought one tbh. I'll definitely be buying one now :gsd_laughing:

Thank you! I honestly didn't even think about the paper lol... I don't think I've ever bought one tbh. I'll definitely be buying one now :gsd_laughing:
I think people call them "Used Car Magazines" or "Used Trader Magazines." Just ask your local gas station clerk if they have a local magazine for used cars and stuff. They usually keep them by the counter near the cigarettes or in the magazine rack.

Thanks for the advice I'm probably gonna just get a puppy,,, I just feel a little guilty when there are so many dogs that need homes. And a lot of breeders have neutering agreements or have the pups fixed before you get them. But I guess there are always unwanted pups and stuff on Craigslist that might be my best bet
I definitely understand people wanting to get “rescue“ dogs.....but another perspective is that all puppies need homes equally....so, if you get the one that’s right for you...in the short term and the long term...it’s not only best for you...but also best for the puppy...just think about what you want and you know what kind of dog you want....you know best, just listen to your little voice inside ya.....😁😁👍🏻

Another solution could be to move to a country where spaying/neutering of dogs is not a common practice (or at least not that common). If you are from USA, this could be a problem, however if you are from Europe, there are many countries like that. And also countries without strong anti-zoo laws or no anti-zoo laws at all. ;)

Last edited:
They will almost check on you and they will almost always take the dog back because when you sign the adoption you are agreeing to fix it

Tell them you need a strong healthy animal and that there is tons of false information about altering animals. Unless there is a medical reason to do so there is no reason. Altering an animal messes up their metabolism and plays hell on their joints. If you cannot convince them, take your business somewhere else. Unfortunately that's almost all shelters policy, so I wouldn't go there (their in the business to sell and make extra money from altering). Try finding a breeder or look for ads in the paper or online. I've always had unaltered pets and they've all lived long healthy lives. I've really known the difference especially when you notice someone else's altered dog. Anyone that believes that altering animals makes them live a longer healthier life is a fucking idiot and should not own pets. Altering animals is as useless as circumcision. The U.S. thinks fucked up and ass backwards upside down.

Back