How many of you have a current career involved with animals?

Is working with animals part of your career or ...

• Full time

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Part time

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Not involved

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Volunteer

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Hobby

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters

Sheppidog

Tourist
Greetings!

I know all you come from different walks of life but wondering if zoos would have a higher percentage of careers working with animals vs the average. As I see that a majority of us care much more about them than the typical person, I would think that it's in our passion to pursue these fields.

So starting with me, I currently am pursuing a career working with doggos as a trainer :gsd_grin: Don't know the endgoal yet but know I'm in the right direction to helping dogs.

I'm sure there have been threads like these already but the search feature didn't show much from my snoopin. But hey put your vote in the poll!

i picked non-involved, but i did work around horses for like 4 months. i'm not into horses that much, i was just looking for work around animals. i had to quit. i didn't really mind that most of the work was shoveling shit or that the salary was no jackpot. i just couldn't stand the general attitude of most ppl there... it was a part of a larger breeding farm, so the horses were treated pretty much like objects. random erections were no fun either, even though i'm not really attracted to them (not to a point of wanting to own and care for one anyway), random mares just winking at you as if they knew you can scratch "that itch" just gets to you.

sadly, it seems way harder to find a job involving dogs...

i picked non-involved, but i did work around horses for like 4 months. i'm not into horses that much, i was just looking for work around animals. i had to quit. i didn't really mind that most of the work was shoveling shit or that the salary was no jackpot. i just couldn't stand the general attitude of most ppl there... it was a part of a larger breeding farm, so the horses were treated pretty much like objects. random erections were no fun either, even though i'm not really attracted to them (not to a point of wanting to own and care for one anyway), random mares just winking at you as if they knew you can scratch "that itch" just gets to you.

sadly, it seems way harder to find a job involving dogs...
Totally understandable, no point in keeping yourself in a bad work environment. And for work involving dogs just start volunteering and asking places if they need help. That is how a colleague of mine got into the field. Also there is foster care for dogs if your current work schedule and living conditions allow it.

Totally understandable, no point in keeping yourself in a bad work environment. And for work involving dogs just start volunteering and asking places if they need help. That is how a colleague of mine got into the field. Also there is foster care for dogs if your current work schedule and living conditions allow it.
i was on more about a full-time job than volunteering tbh... i do have 2 dogs of my own and am gonna took a foster one in soon (whom i intend to keep if the other ones accept him). i'd just like to work with animals at some point, not to get "handsy" with them when noone's looking... just to make their lives better even if it sounds corny as fuck.

i was on more about a full-time job than volunteering tbh... i do have 2 dogs of my own and am gonna took a foster one in soon (whom i intend to keep if the other ones accept him). i'd just like to work with animals at some point, not to get "handsy" with them when noone's looking... just to make their lives better even if it sounds corny as fuck.
Ahh I see, so we got the same goals :) I also was trying for a good while to get into work involved with dogs just because my heart and passions always lay in the natural world and especially dogs ever since I got my first one a little bit back. My view is all about bettering the lives of other dogs or animals and for the romantic encounters, if the perfect moment comes and they consent (or are asking you for it haha) great! But the main goal is just the constant progression of helping others

if i ever have enough money my dream is to start a kennel/sanctuary of my own. intended mainly for older dogs (the kind noone seems to want anymore) to live out the rest of their lives knowing love and peace and not cages, but that would require me to win a lottery...

I didn’t check anything off as I’m not currently working with dogs although when I was younger I did lots of dig walking for extra cash. One of the dogs I admit I was drawn to because of his size and looks and was able to train him to mount me before I left him home after his walk. That lasted a few months when his owner started asking me if I noticed a change in his behavior because lately he was trying to mount her and her daughter whenever they were with him in the downstairs den. That’s the room I always took him to for our after walk fun. I’m pretty sure she became suspicious because after a few more walks she stopped having me take him out. I always wondered if that poor boy wound up satisfying his newly discovered love of human pussy after I was gone. I hope so. He really loved it and was a great fuck.

I didn’t check anything off as I’m not currently working with dogs although when I was younger I did lots of dig walking for extra cash. One of the dogs I admit I was drawn to because of his size and looks and was able to train him to mount me before I left him home after his walk. That lasted a few months when his owner started asking me if I noticed a change in his behavior because lately he was trying to mount her and her daughter whenever they were with him in the downstairs den. That’s the room I always took him to for our after walk fun. I’m pretty sure she became suspicious because after a few more walks she stopped having me take him out. I always wondered if that poor boy wound up satisfying his newly discovered love of human pussy after I was gone. I hope so. He really loved it and was a great fuck.
chances are he wound up neutered or worse... i hope you learned your lesson to never mess with other people's animals.

Well, there is this similar poll - Here.

I have never specifically worked in a career that has been oriented towards animals. I've always been interested in working in IT and dealing with computers. I do wish that when I was younger I had volunteered or even worked on a farm. But it's too late for that now. I'd only reconsider this position if I magically came into a lot of money. I wouldn't mind starting a farm, vegetarian in nature. I'm not vegan nor vegetarian, but I can't see myself slaughtering animals of any kind.

sounds like he got lucky, maybe even gets some action. lust getting the better of me got a poor boy "fixed" in my teens...
I knew this woman loves this boy and never intended to neuter him as she believed it was cruel. I’ve always thought she let him have his fun. She at some point later after I stopped walking him she told me she was pregnant with her second and would be home. That’s the reason she gave for stopping my walking him. Like I said I still see him being walked by her oldest girl. He’s older now but I bet he still enjoys getting some pussy. I hope he does at least.

Well, there is this similar poll - Here.

I have never specifically worked in a career that has been oriented towards animals. I've always been interested in working in IT and dealing with computers. I do wish that when I was younger I had volunteered or even worked on a farm. But it's too late for that now. I'd only reconsider this position if I magically came into a lot of money. I wouldn't mind starting a farm, vegetarian in nature. I'm not vegan nor vegetarian, but I can't see myself slaughtering animals of any kind.

Thanks for that thread link. Obviously being remotely small sample sizes so nothing is for sure. but it seems to be around a quarter have their work involved with animals. A quarter to do so as a hobby/volunteer. And half have not or do not currently work with animals. Even compared to the other poll it shows a bit variance but has it similarites.

Also a former IT guy here and definitely know there was way more money in the field. But it allowed me to make some savings and go for my passions during the whole covid slowdown. I understand my current field of work with dogs may never make as much money and it's much more involved meaning you're not working for 8 hours on and 8 hours off. You're always working with them but once you get used to it and especially love it, it doesn't become work anymore :D Also money once at a sufficient level is not a concern for me as I don't have a family to support other than my boy. But I second you on the future goals on getting a small farm/homestead and become more self reliant.

Thanks for that thread link. Obviously being remotely small sample sizes so nothing is for sure. but it seems to be around a quarter have their work involved with animals. A quarter to do so as a hobby/volunteer. And half have not or do not currently work with animals. Even compared to the other poll it shows a bit variance but has it similarities.

Also a former IT guy here and definitely know there was way more money in the field. But it allowed me to make some savings and go for my passions during the whole covid slowdown. I understand my current field of work with dogs may never make as much money and it's much more involved meaning you're not working for 8 hours on and 8 hours off. You're always working with them but once you get used to it and especially love it, it doesn't become work anymore :D Also money once at a sufficient level is not a concern for me as I don't have a family to support other than my boy. But I second you on the future goals on getting a small farm/homestead and become more self reliant.

Former Corporate I.T. guy here too, I stayed in "cubeland" with the prairie dogs until I had my first 10 Acre hobby farm at least Half paid into it.
then I left for my farm. it wasn't long before I was working as a contractor for folks like Tyson foods, Wal Mart & Motorola, so I could pay off my "golden parachute plan". once I did pay it all off, I left the field & started working for a Local Safari Park, and I have few regrets.
I no longer make "The Big Bux" that I.T. pays, but I got out while I still had a Soul to save, Namely My own.

it was amazing the things I learned after having left the industry, like just how many knives were in my back, from other techs laying claim to the work/procedures & accountability for inventory, that I had built from scratch & implemented before my leaving.

Working in a Safari Park you KNOW when your being attacked, that's not always the case when working in the Corporate Jungle.

Former Corporate I.T. guy here too, I stayed in "cubeland" with the prairie dogs until I had my first 10 Acre hobby farm at least Half paid into it.
then I left for my farm. it wasn't long before I was working as a contractor for folks like Tyson foods, Wal Mart & Motorola, so I could pay off my "golden parachute plan". once I did pay it all off, I left the field & started working for a Local Safari Park, and I have few regrets.
I no longer make "The Big Bux" that I.T. pays, but I got out while I still had a Soul to save, Namely My own.

it was amazing the things I learned after having left the industry, like just how many knives were in my back, from other techs laying claim to the work/procedures & accountability for inventory, that I had built from scratch & implemented before my leaving.

Working in a Safari Park you KNOW when your being attacked, that's not always the case when working in the Corporate Jungle.

I know that too well, having been sub contracted for a utility company and there was only one IT guy holding down the fort of 7000 employees. The guy said he became bald from pulling all the hairs out of his head from all the stress lol. The previous group of contractors were grossly incompetent and the system they had before didn't even give it to the new contractor tech, just basically left him with scraps and a good luck.

Although not all IT work will be like that it's just as you talked about, working with the natural world is as real as it gets. It's the social interaction with animals always being upfront vs more complex humans.

Thanks for that thread link. Obviously being remotely small sample sizes so nothing is for sure. but it seems to be around a quarter have their work involved with animals. A quarter to do so as a hobby/volunteer. And half have not or do not currently work with animals. Even compared to the other poll it shows a bit variance but has it similarites.

Oh yeah, once you've been around for a while you start to see many similar posts to one another. And hell, I've been guilty of posting similar threads myself. An example would be when I setup a poll about nicotine/vaping/smoking, and as someone pointed out there was already a thread similar, but it just wasn't a poll like mine was.

So far, I'm still pretty fresh out of college. I have a job troubleshooting retail/restaurant payment systems. It's not exactly the IT work I was necessarily gunning after, but it pays well enough and it is a step in the correct direction to one day fulfill my passion. My goal is to eventually move up and seek work that aligns closer to my degree in hand. Who's to say that maybe one day my dream of owning a farm won't become a reality. I'm young, and there is a whole lot of life ahead of me.

It is great that you are able to follow the passions you so desire, I definitely wish you luck on your endeavors. I know that a happy work environment can truly not feel like just a "job" to do, if the line of work is something you're overly committed and passionate about.

First and Foremost: SUPER cool seeing so many active or interested in bettering critter lives!

Just please be super vague about the details. Remember trouble from the vengeful not only turns your life totally fucky, but also potentially hurts the institutions you work for or classifies lives you care for as "abused".

As much as it's natural to want to boast experience or push a group you belong to, this is not a closed ecosystem. Don't hurt future opportunities to do good by making it easy for the not nice elements. Super general - talk shop in private - win at the internet! Fun police over and out! :gsd_wink:?‍♂️?

I'm not involved in any animal related careers. I did grow up on a farm and used to volunteer at local animal shelters back in the day before I got my boys and a full-time job.

Back