How does one get started with a zoo lifestyle?

Valken

Tourist
I'd assume you'd need a bit of capital or connections to have your first zoo experience, especially with anything larger than a dog. I have been gathering some info just browsing the forums as well about the dos and don't s. But for me, I guess my main issue is that I'm a young adult living the renter lifestyle so I don't have access to pets yet.

My first zoo experience was with another zoo's canine. It didn't occur over night either, I knew this guy for awhile before meeting him in person. And... It didn't occur in the first meeting either, it was the 3rd or 4th meetup.

But really, the best thing you can do it work for it. Busting your ass at a job for 60 hours a week so that you can go to college/trade school is not going to be fun. Not in the slightest. But in the end you'll receive a paper that says "I know how to do X field of work." The next step is to apply apply apply and apply some more to jobs around your area or an area you wish to live in. Unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, life isn't going to just hand you everything.

My college education, my good job, my newer vehicle, and my house sitting on land wasn't given to me. I had to work for it. I knew with my sexual orientation that if I wanted an animal partner, I, would have to make this happen. And, it might have taken years, but in the end, I, did make this happen. That's the best advice I can give you.

Focus on yourself and what you need to do to get yourself in a situation where you can have a companion of your own and that you are stable supporting both yourselves.

The other option I always suggest to people is to simply make friends and connections here. And I don't mean the "hey looking for an owner" approach. Meet people with similar interest other than being zoo, build friendships. Even if the other person isn't an owner now most likely you or that friend will be in the future. Then you can help out one another sense you'll have that trusting relationship.

If you know this is the thing for you, work toward being able to support whatever partner it is that interests you.
To that end, my best advice is to learn a trade that makes you worth more than just your labor. Plenty of fields one could choose, pick one and try it out, if you don't like it try another one.

I been trying hard to learn more about this but making the connections seem…difficult honestly. Even on other sites, I’m just not sure what I’m looking for.

It's pretty straightforward if you're into dogs, just get a decent-paying job and that's it. Now if you're more of a "large animal" type of person, e.g. horses, you had better find a way to make a shit ton of money lol. Honestly the more of it you have, the better off you'll be in this scenario.

I currently have Chihuahuas and have never done zoo before. Im not going to do anythinf with mt chihuahuas of course but I would like to join someone to kind of teach and mentor me a bit as I try it for the first time. Later down the line, I want to adopt a bigger dog either male or female and try it out.

I was dog sitting for a neighbor, her German shepherd and I would play and I felt I could be intimate with her unlike ways that I could be intimate with another person

especially with anything larger than a dog.
I assume that would be horses?
If so, it nay be easier than a dog needs you there every day to care, while hirses is usual to have them kept and visit when you are able to. It is just a question of being able to spare the money into it.
But for me, I guess my main issue is that I'm a young adult living the renter lifestyle so I don't have access to pets yet.
My guess is your best option is get a temporal work in some horse related job just to make sure you are actually interested, you click well with them and learn how to care, interact and the work needed.

If you find that is your interest, you may get into this sort of job permanently, chances is you can negociate keeping your own horse there as part of your employee benefits.

Alternative is getting house, piece of land, horse and knowing you can not go away for long without someone supervising.

Different alternatives are up to you to decide. Just do it slowly and one step at a time.

This thread is really inspiring me to buckle down and pursue a career opportunity that I've been putting off. Just to be able to afford the stallion of my dreams.

I waited for over a decade to have the living conditions to own a dog. Couldn't adopt one as a student or when starting a new job after graduating. Took a lot of time and planning to make it work.

Well, it took me ober 40 years of planning and even had to set a global wide pandemic just to be able to get some free time and place to propperly raise a pup...

∆∆
This, I worked two jobs for thirteen years, so I could provide for a few animals in the future. It's not just money, but time. Having a puppy is like having a baby, it's soooo much work and time. But man is it worth it. And that's just doggy's . Horses are incredibly expensive to house , groom, vet visits, feed and you need some land.

There's no shortcuts , either find some good zoo buddies or work your ass off for it. But then honestly ask yourself - after putting in all that time and money , finally own a farmhouse on some land- how likely are you to put all of it on the line for a stranger that wants to live out a fantasy.

Get to work , see you in 15 years bud.

If you are like mr. Huskytail you network, you get involved in the bdsm scene. (He's such a good boy.)
Even that takes risk, work, time, and sometimes pain. I know it's not what you want to hear.. but there's no secret handshake that's going to get you into some pussy or dick any faster.

The thing is , most people that are willing to share their animals with strangers right out of the gate, typically aren't very stable mentally.

I'm happy to see a lot of informative takeaways from this thread. It'll certainly help me on my journey to become an owner one day. There are some things I can say in confidence, for example, socially, I'm not amazing so I'm not hedging my bets on finding someone who's willing to share without at least being a little suspicious about it.

It seems like being a zoo owner and indulging in the lifestyle is pretty heavy on the self reliance, and hearing a lot of folks talk about waiting years before they were finally able to achieve that dream makes me realize that this is very much a lifestyle that rewards patience. It takes a long time to build up that life and all it takes is trusting the wrong person to see it all tumbling down.

I have a lot to think about, and I have to weigh my situation before choosing a path towards becoming an owner.

Now that's the kind of understanding we like to see folks arrive at ;)

And yes I know I owe you a PM reply, lol don't worry I'm working my way thru new mail piecemeal every time I pass my computer and sit long enough to type anything!

I'm happy to see a lot of informative takeaways from this thread. It'll certainly help me on my journey to become an owner one day. There are some things I can say in confidence, for example, socially, I'm not amazing so I'm not hedging my bets on finding someone who's willing to share without at least being a little suspicious about it.

It seems like being a zoo owner and indulging in the lifestyle is pretty heavy on the self reliance, and hearing a lot of folks talk about waiting years before they were finally able to achieve that dream makes me realize that this is very much a lifestyle that rewards patience. It takes a long time to build up that life and all it takes is trusting the wrong person to see it all tumbling down.

I have a lot to think about, and I have to weigh my situation before choosing a path towards becoming an owner.
you can go the resourceful route, to afford to have what I have I reduced my expectations of life style and tons of barter!

I found a property owner whom was willing to do a rent to own, I focused on lowest taxes and least bs codes so remote, ghost town, hows is terrible, it is old leaky and drafty, but I own it and the land free hold tittle.

my best shopping spot is a junk pile, amazing what society tosses out that can be fixed with little effort!

So you can keep up with the Jones's or have a much simpler life with animals. but in the end yes, you will be doing it all, I take care of bulk of the first aid on the property, so I have large amounts of books on biology medicine, physiology. (This allows you to find a lot of off the shelf compatible medications)

Back