How does a vasectomy affect pyometra risk?

zvfdogzzz

Lurker
Pyometra is a huge fear in a female dog. I think I understand that it's caused by bacteria. Our human sperm tries to get to the dog's egg but dies inside the "girl parts" because they're different species. This dead sperm provides good conditions for bacterial growth. That bacteria enters the uterus and causes pyometra.

Best practice to lessen the chance of pyo is to be clean and not ejaculate sperm into her.

But what happens if the human male is sterile by vasectomy and doesn't fire sperm?

If a human male has had a vasectomy, does this affect the chance of pyometra?

Our human sperm tries to get to the dog's egg but dies inside the "girl parts" because they're different species.
This isn't really that much of a concern. When a male dog ejaculates into a female dog only a limited amount of sperm with penetrate her eggs. The rest of the canine sperm will also die. The thing is that the female's reproductive organs have ways of eliminating dead sperm for both canine and human sperm. The cervix, uterus, and fallopian tubes are all lined in mucus. This mucus will capture the dead sperm and white blood cells will process and eliminate it from her reproductive organs. It is then excreted from the body, usually via urine. The only time you have to worry about ejaculating into a female canine is when she's leaving standing heat. Once she leaves standing heat her body will soon begin to close the uterine wall. This will leave her somewhat highly infectious for 1-3 weeks, so I'd advise absolutely NO sexual contact with her whatsoever during this period. Otherwise, there are almost no ill effects from cuming inside of your dog's vagina, whether you've had a vasectomy or not.

It's hard to determine the root cause of pyometra. There are many intact female dogs that never have sex in their life and still get the infection. There are also many intact female dogs that will have sex with humans their entire lives and with not get the infection. It is known that a good way to mitigate and nearly eliminate any and all risk of pyometra is to allow her to become pregnant every couple of years in the first half of her life cycle. But for most people, and for the sake over pet overpopulation, this is not an ideal solution.

Back