Help! I don't know what to do.

PatchyNerd

Tourist
I am best buds with an intact bitch, and her estrus just ended. I was playing with her when I noticed that there was a clumpy, bloody discharge coming from her vagina. I find this very worrying, and since she is not mine, I'm not sure how to help her. Her owner likely won't notice, as he uses her mostly as a 'guard dog'. See doesn't seem to be in any pain, but I haven't seen this before, and I've known her a number of years.

Is she in any kind of discomfort? If she is then talk to your friends. If not she is just having a heavy ovulation. Some dogs do have that from time to time. Just like in women. If she is in pain when you touch her abdomen then there could be something wrong. Could be anything from a bad urinary track infection to endometriosis so just keep an eye on her if you are concerned.

You must be new here. Surely you know "I am fucking someone else's animal AND...." usually doesn't go over well.

assuming you have reasons to be around his dog and that alone won't be creepy, a "Hey man, your dog was over playing at my place yesterday, and a fuckin NASTY big ol blood baby popped out of her hooter and stained my carpet. I got it cleaned up but I think a vet should take a look"

If you've been sneaking time with his dog without him knowing, or he's the kind to just let nature take it's course, you're fucked.

You must be new here. Surely you know "I am fucking someone else's animal AND...." usually doesn't go over well.

assuming you have reasons to be around his dog and that alone won't be creepy, a "Hey man, your dog was over playing at my place yesterday, and a fuckin NASTY big ol blood baby popped out of her hooter and stained my carpet. I got it cleaned up but I think a vet should take a look"

If you've been sneaking time with his dog without him knowing, or he's the kind to just let nature take it's course, you're fucked.
Fair point. If his friend knows of there activities then yes bring it up. If not than he is screwed. I do not condone fucking other people's animals without their knowledge.

If you can do the deed and is worried of any consequences. Take responsibility of her. She maybe just a "guard dog" to him but she's still another life that always deserves attention...

Btw... I'm against owner hopping because if that was my possible mate then yes... It would be a bad place of trust. However I'm only speaking neutral here.

Just to put things in perspective:
While fence hopping may be wrong and bring many knee jerk reactions, (specially when asking for advice to act on it) once someone is into that, I do not see it wrong to ask for unrelated health concerns about that animal.

Now, IF the health concern can be related to any fencejumping activities, that will boldly go to the dumpster fire quite fast and the spanking will be notirious...

About that case, it is not unseen that after the heat some even old, even foul, accumulated blood may come out. If she is acting as always it might be nothing. If it has some odd (like orange) color and she looks tired and poorly, or has temperature... she needs help ASAP!

It seems it has been assumed that I hop the fence. This is not the case. I pet her through the fence. He is aware that I do this. If he doesn't want me doing that he hasn't told me.

Got the ol' Mackey in my head. "Fencehopping is bad, m'kay? You shouldn't do fencehopping."

Sigh. But since we know people are going to do it anyway regardless of what we advise...

Goat's probably on the right track. My guess is its probably normal discharge consistency for that individual dog . They have to pass unfertilized eggs at the end of the cycle, so that may be what you saw, and blood does of course clot naturally so if this was 'old' blood and not quite fresh, ie. got hung up somewhere and did not fully evacuate the vagina until hours later, that could be why it was clumpy. Could be mucous material too. When I was a young man in my 20s working at a shelter/vet clinic, I thought I had worms once from all the patient clean-up duties -- til I described it to one of our on-staff vets and she reminded me there's mucous in shit, lol. The more you know! She did give me a sample collection container just in case, har har. Ditto consider the similar process for diagnosing presence of blood in stools: your vet will invariably ask first whether it was bright red (fresh) or dark and tarry (even black), appearing as though it had dried. If its the former fresh red, your animal has an injury or condition low in the rectum somewhere; if its black you've got something going on further up the GI tract that had time to work its way thru, drying out by the time it was passed with the stool. Rule of thumb for discharges around my ranch from various species, is I use my nose. Next time sniff it -- if it smells foul, it could be infected material. Then you look for corroborating symptoms eg. fever, lethargy, off-feed, excessive thirst or no thirst, swelling/pain in an affected area, etc.

Perhaps the other guys who've owned bitches longer than me can chime in as I'm no expert; my knowledge of normal vs abnormal bitch discharge is limited. I've had males most of my life, don't breed (not dogs anyway, just livestock), and could probably tell you more about cattle / sow estrus than canine. But, if it'll help with perspective and peace of mind, in my time I've had several female dogs come thru my ranch on temporary/foster stays eg. an older rottie who'd birthed a few litters in the past, a young shepherd mix who'd never whelped, two danes who were both in heat when they were here, and a husky ditto in heat while she was here. In all of them, heat or not, I've observed small trace amounts of discharges (often with presence of dark/old blood but not always) that I chalk up to background-normal excretions for intact females. Likewise for my current mastiff girl, who came to me as a rehome off a puppy mill and is still with me but very old (7-8, about the end of the line for giant breeds). She's had god-knows how many litters bred thru her from the previous owner. She, same as the others (who were younger), also has occasional 'background' leaks/discharges but is otherwise healthy, normal, and asymptomatic of anything. And as I recall the bloody stuff even went on for awhile after her last heat. Though hers is never coagulated/clotted, pretty runny and dark actually. I myself am curious what that is, but it resolved on its own in time. As I said my knowledge in this area is limited, so hopefully the guys who've owned intact bitches longer than me can chime in with their observations.

Hope that helps with perspective anyways.

Got the ol' Mackey in my head. "Fencehopping is bad, m'kay? You shouldn't do fencehopping."

Sigh. But since we know people are going to do it anyway regardless of what we advise...

Goat's probably on the right track. My guess is its probably normal discharge consistency for that individual dog . They have to pass unfertilized eggs at the end of the cycle, so that may be what you saw, and blood does of course clot naturally so if this was 'old' blood and not quite fresh, ie. got hung up somewhere and did not fully evacuate the vagina until hours later, that could be why it was clumpy. Could be mucous material too. When I was a young man in my 20s working at a shelter/vet clinic, I thought I had worms once from all the patient clean-up duties -- til I described it to one of our on-staff vets and she reminded me there's mucous in shit, lol. The more you know! She did give me a sample collection container just in case, har har. Ditto consider the similar process for diagnosing presence of blood in stools: your vet will invariably ask first whether it was bright red (fresh) or dark and tarry (even black), appearing as though it had dried. If its the former fresh red, your animal has an injury or condition low in the rectum somewhere; if its black you've got something going on further up the GI tract that had time to work its way thru, drying out by the time it was passed with the stool. Rule of thumb for discharges around my ranch from various species, is I use my nose. Next time sniff it -- if it smells foul, it could be infected material. Then you look for corroborating symptoms eg. fever, lethargy, off-feed, excessive thirst or no thirst, swelling/pain in an affected area, etc.

Perhaps the other guys who've owned bitches longer than me can chime in as I'm no expert; my knowledge of normal vs abnormal bitch discharge is limited. I've had males most of my life, don't breed (not dogs anyway, just livestock), and could probably tell you more about cattle / sow estrus than canine. But, if it'll help with perspective and peace of mind, in my time I've had several female dogs come thru my ranch on temporary/foster stays eg. an older rottie who'd birthed a few litters in the past, a young shepherd mix who'd never whelped, two danes who were both in heat when they were here, and a husky ditto in heat while she was here. In all of them, heat or not, I've observed small trace amounts of discharges (often with presence of dark/old blood but not always) that I chalk up to background-normal excretions for intact females. Likewise for my current mastiff girl, who came to me as a rehome off a puppy mill and is still with me but very old (7-8, about the end of the line for giant breeds). She's had god-knows how many litters bred thru her from the previous owner. She, same as the others (who were younger), also has occasional 'background' leaks/discharges but is otherwise healthy, normal, and asymptomatic of anything. And as I recall the bloody stuff even went on for awhile after her last heat. Though hers is never coagulated/clotted, pretty runny and dark actually. I myself am curious what that is, but it resolved on its own in time. As I said my knowledge in this area is limited, so hopefully the guys who've owned intact bitches longer than me can chime in with their observations.

Hope that helps with perspective anyways.
Okay this makes me feel better, I'll just keep an eye on her as per usual. She doesn't appear to have any symptoms.

It seems it has been assumed that I hop the fence. This is not the case. I pet her through the fence. He is aware that I do this. If he doesn't want me doing that he hasn't told me.
Next time preface that "play" actually means playing, and not a euphemism for sex, because around here that's generally what people are meaning and are going to assume you mean when you say play.

and what keeps you from just telling the owner if it worries you this much? is "you noticed my dog has a vagina, you're totally a zoophile!" paranoia worth her health?
sure, it can be some residue from the heat cycle (my girl had "heavier flow" once or twice), better safe than sorry is what i'd say.

just say you were petting her through the fence like you usually do, she stepped aside to pee and you noticed clumps of blood in her pee...

He usually brushes me off when I try to talk to him. If I tell him I have to catch him where he can hear me. He's got bad hearing. I think I'm just going to keep an eye on it the next few days and see if it persists or worsens. It did only happen once though, so I'll check again in a day or two.

Back