Having more than one dog

jett

Tourist
Do you only have males, females or do you have both?
I'm curious with how dog thinks when you have sex with one while the others watch...
For males, I've read a post saying that they have to separate the other so they don't get jealous, but I don't know for females or both sexes. If you have both male & female, will they still mate with each other?

I own two male dogs, so I can't help you here though I imagine if you have a male and female they will inevitably mate during the female's heat.

Do you have to separate them or were they patient enough to have sex with you at the same time?

Not if you managed to satisfy the both of them everyday ;)
Though I'm not sure which is why I'd like to know if anyone have the experience
I keep things seperate.

I very much doubt that.

If you have multiple female dogs (no matter if they are both yours or one of a different owner) which accept each other without the sexual context, they will rarely react envious, as long as you care for both of them in their needs. It is possible that they try to get into your focus between your activity with the other dog.

About the parting: dogs are impressively smart. It is easily recognizable for them if other dogs are / were sexually aroused or had copulated, as well as potential lube usage, zooming and so on. They can differ between hormonal based smells very well.

It would be more of a momentary limitation to reaction of the other dog (like: they won't care as much if they don't see what happens "live").

For male / female mixed packs it depends a lot on the individuals, I don't have or had mixed packs. All those experiences are made with female dogs outside of heat.

If you want to prevent impregnation of the female dog while in heat, you should not leave male intact dogs with her alone or free to do what they want, else you might quickly have a copulating dog pair. No matter if you cared for both of them beforehand sexually and fulfilled their needs. That is in this case quite irrelevant, it is no problem for the male dog to still copulate with the female one after both of them were cared for by you. :husky_wink:

A female dog in heat might copulate quite a few times a day, a male dog might join her at least once, some 4-6 times, so.. don't try out your luck with that guess regarding "no puppies through sexual human caretaking". That will not work well.

I own two male dogs, so I can't help you here though I imagine if you have a male and female they will inevitably mate during the female's heat.
There is nothing inevitable! A dog bitch in heat does not mate with every dog.... she still decides for herself with which male she wants or not!

i have a mixed pack of three. the boy doesn't really care when me and the girl are doing anything. the girl is all over me when the boy is involved. she likes to lick me. when i still had my late love, he'd let me ride him (it was one of the few comfortable positions for him) she was always there to clean up.
i have one more boy who was sadly neutered before i adopted him and he doesn't care when me and the others have sex, sometimes he does perceive it as playing and tries to join in.
i keep the intact ones separate when she's in heat.
Not if you managed to satisfy the both of them everyday
believe me, it's not physically possible to do so enough for him to not try to get at her... 5-7 blow/handjobs a day when she's in full standing heat and he'd still try to get a go at her.

There is nothing inevitable! A dog bitch in heat does not mate with every dog.... she still decides for herself with which male she wants or not!
of course it is inevitable and they do try to mate with any available male... any decision capability of the girl is overridden by her body/hormones screaming at her "you need to get fucked now! time for puppies!" during standing heat. probably the main reason i'm not really a fan of sex during heat, it's not really her choice if she wants it.

of course it is inevitable and they do try to mate with any available male... any decision capability of the girl is overridden by her body/hormones screaming at her "you need to get fucked now! time for puppies!" during standing heat. probably the main reason i'm not really a fan of sex during heat, it's not really her choice if she wants it.
So much for the stubborn theory. The practice looks then nevertheless quite often differently, as with female dogs known to me. :cool:

So much for the stubborn theory. The practice looks then nevertheless quite often differently, as with female dogs known to me. :cool:
it stops being a theory once it's fully studied and observed (which domestic dog heat cycle quite thoroughly is)... then it's called a fact regardless of your wishes or what is "known to you".

It depends on how good its the dinámic between the pack, i been knotted by a dog while other one watch and dont have problems if they have defined the rol in the group and have good training

it stops being a theory once it's fully studied and observed (which domestic dog heat cycle quite thoroughly is)... then it's called a fact regardless of your wishes or what is "known to you".
Aw stop telling stories here! What you believe and what are facts are two different things!

It depends on the individual dogs and their coexistence outside the heat (strictly disliking dogs tend to still bark / growl the other away, even in heat).

But it depends less on the female dog's human sexual caretaking of her needs. In heat from my experiences around 2/3 to 4/5 will enjoy the intercourse with male dogs of the pack (or even visitors), they are not "mostly declining the chance" if you assume this.

Sure they can still decline offers (more like intense tries..) from the male dog, as long as they are not forced to stay in position like some breeders did in the past and maybe still do.. which I think is basically forced rape. The problem begins right then, if her owner guesses "oh, she's so much cared for by me, she will not accept any male dog".

This thought is very often bound to fail. Even a female dog in heat that was cared for (climaxing) 10+ times per day from manual stimulation can still show interest for copulation, either with you or with an interesting male dog. :husky_grin: The hormonal aspects interfering with personal decisions of her are no joke.

i have nothing to say, but i have to reply.
as expected.
It depends on the individual dogs and their coexistence outside the heat (strictly disliking dogs tend to still bark / growl the other away, even in heat).

But it depends less on the female dog's human sexual caretaking of her needs. In heat from my experiences around 2/3 to 4/5 will enjoy the intercourse with male dogs of the pack (or even visitors), they are not "mostly declining the chance" if you assume this.

Sure they can still decline offers (more like intense tries..) from the male dog, as long as they are not forced to stay in position like some breeders did in the past and maybe still do.. which I think is basically forced rape. The problem begins right then, if her owner guesses "oh, she's so much cared for by me, she will not accept any male dog".

This thought is very often bound to fail. Even a female dog in heat that was cared for (climaxing) 10+ times per day from manual stimulation can still show interest for copulation, either with you or with an interesting male dog. :husky_grin: The hormonal aspects interfering with personal decisions of her are no joke.
dunno if this was aimed at me or @stami as you did quote as both, but i agree with "they are not mostly declining the chance"... my girl (who is very dominant and can't stand unfamiliar dogs outside of heat) will flag for literally any male dog during heat. even if we had sex five minutes before she spots any. i highly doubt she's "outside the norm" with this behavior. there's a reason there's a saying "she's horny like a bitch in heat". they'd go for any male dog if given the chance.

Oh, it was not aimed at one of you specifically as neither said something wrong in terms of possibilities. Just the collected experience over the last decades of own dogs, family / friends / breeders / zoos / strangers dogs and so on.

Met female dogs in heat which were very selective and declining as well, but that was not the norm from my experience. Most were more open, repetitively interested, not limited as much by over sensitizing as outside the heat. Lower down times between shown interests add as well.

It is well possible that the female dog of a zoo caring for her will decline dogs in her heat most of the time (mine did as well), but as long as it does not cover all the time, guaranteed - it's always good to keep two open eyes on her if she has a possibility to meet intact males.

This is the puppy-preventive way with the absolutely lowest risk for any of the dogs. No side effects. None of the "oh shit, it happened!" countermeasures after copulation would be nearly as healthy.

as expected.
They distort quotes. Is that what they do in your country?

If you declare your experiences with your dog to be universal, what are you? Ignorant or just stupid?

My father's dog, a Caucasian shepherd, had a constant visit from a dachshund when she was in heat. This one was very intrusive but NOT successful! On good days she just sat down, on bad days the dachshund got a beating from her.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights. I just love when someone shares their unique experience outside of common stuffs.
As for me, no need to worry cause I won't get any dog soon. Gotta aim for a house before I can own a dog. It sucks that I can't experience it while young :husky_eyeroll:

However, I like to imagine having one hence I'm always wondering about their behavior if I do have one.

When I have animals in my life I rarlry ever have females. We just never seem to get along that well. Even back when I lived on a small scale farm(just enough animals to feed ourselves through the years) I only ever really bonded with the males.

So once I do get a dog again I'll definitely be getting a male. Maybe 2

If you declare your experiences with your dog to be universal, what are you? Ignorant or just stupid?
feel free to quote where i declared such a thing, all i did was point out my gal's behavior is hardly "outside the norm" regarding heat cycle related behavior (maybe your father's girl is) while also pointing out the whole thing is very well documented and studied should you wish to look it up yourself. i certainly won't do any research for you.

hopefully, one day you will learn to read. it's getting kinda stale how your only form of wannabe "retort" is insulting others. but i guess that's understandable since you probably can't understand well what others are trying to say...

feel free to quote where i declared such a thing, all i did was point out my gal's behavior is hardly "outside the norm" regarding heat cycle related behavior (maybe your father's girl is) while also pointing out the whole thing is very well documented and studied should you wish to look it up yourself. i certainly won't do any research for you.

hopefully, one day you will learn to read. it's getting kinda stale how your only form of wannabe "retort" is insulting others. but i guess that's understandable since you probably can't understand well what others are trying to say...
Unfortunately this is not the dumpster fire, otherwise i would love to tell you what i think of you! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately this is not the dumpster fire, otherwise i would love to tell you what i think of you! :rolleyes:
see? this is literally all you do. act like a child (laugh reaction and "i need to have the last word" reply). it's just stale at this point.

Breathe deep in.. and out.. :husky_wink:
No need to get personal. I am sure your dogs proved all wonderful companions inside the norm.

"Normal" shows a very wide range regarding living beings. I don't even see acts of old line (straight back) German shepherd dogs which copulate actively and repetitive with the sheep they herd as "outside the norm". It's just their individual style of life.

I once had an intact male and a big neutered male. I took the neutered male into the room with me and let him watch the other male go at it. As soon as I got mounted, the other dog came over and started fucking my arm. He understood me well. I let him have me next, and was mounted again by the first dog. From then on, we did our business one at a time. They delighted in fucking me if the other got some action first. There were unspoken tensions, though. The intact dog would share, but not so much the other. This can be a dangerous game.

I have two males, a Siberian Husky and a PitBull, Have never had any problems with them but if there are other male dogs visiting
it will be a big problem right when it comes to sex otherwise it goes well.

Have tried a few times with different dogs but get into fights almost immediately.
Do your dogs fight over you? Or do they fight other dogs because of you like that’s mine?

Back