Gun Ownership - NO politics, just "Do you or do you not own a firearm"

Do you legally own a firearm of any kind?

• I own one or more firearms, and am an American

Votes: 350 56.9%
  • I own NO firearms, and am an American

Votes: 93 15.1%
  • I own one or more firearms, and am other than American (Feel free to specify Citizenship)

Votes: 58 9.4%
  • I own NO firearms, and am other than American (Feel free to specify Citizenship)

Votes: 92 15.0%
  • I am not legally able to own a firearm (Feel free to specify reason)

Votes: 22 3.6%

• Total voters
U.S. citizen here (and a Texan, no less!) and I do not own any items whose primary function is that of a weapon (besides my bare hands, like Chuck Norris). Honestly, I don't think I have anything that's worth enough to warrant defending with a weapon.

View attachment 391190
Personal being is enough. With out that nothing else can happen in the monetary or materialistic sense. For you or family.

What about your own life?
So your life isn't of value?
I'm not saying that my life is a complete and total waste, but if someone felt so desperate that they needed to take my life and couldn't be talked out of it...

1. My quality of life and mental health after having shot someone, even out of self defense, would drop considerably.

2. I have thought about death a lot, and would be at peace regardless of when it occurs. So if someone were to take my life, it would be doing more harm to them than it would to me.

3. For all I know, they could be in a life-or-death situation, and if only one of us can survive, I'd bet they value their life over mine. And I'd kinda agree with them. I'm not saying I want to end my life (although I struggle with those thoughts fairly often, so depending on the day, they may be doing me the favor of putting me out of my misery).

So when weighing the value of my life with a gun vs. without a gun, my personal opinion is that I prefer my life without one, even with the possible consequences that come as a result.

I'm not saying that my life is a complete and total waste, but if someone felt so desperate that they needed to take my life and couldn't be talked out of it...

1. My quality of life and mental health after having shot someone, even out of self defense, would drop considerably.

2. I have thought about death a lot, and would be at peace regardless of when it occurs. So if someone were to take my life, it would be doing more harm to them than it would to me.

3. For all I know, they could be in a life-or-death situation, and if only one of us can survive, I'd bet they value their life over mine. And I'd kinda agree with them. I'm not saying I want to end my life (although I struggle with those thoughts fairly often, so depending on the day, they may be doing me the favor of putting me out of my misery).

So when weighing the value of my life with a gun vs. without a gun, my personal opinion is that I prefer my life without one, even with the possible consequences that come as a result.
Fundamental disagreement then. I believe that anyone who purposely threatens the life of another has forfeited their right to their own. Aka, if you point a gun at someone’s face and they kill you, I believe that’s honestly a good thing, because the worldwide average quality of human improves and no innocent people are hurt.

At the end of a long and stressful day at work, I like to take a little drive into the hills, set up a few soda cans and blow them away with my little 9mm. Unplug for a bit, get out in the open air, and blast some shit to smithereens. It's kinda like therapy. :cool:

How is the Beretta 92A1? I am looking into getting one or something similar from Beretta.
I'm out of the closet - I've loved almost every Italian gun I've used. The 92 is beefy as a heifer and I've got girlish hands, it doesn't do well with me. I like the design of it, the lines of it, and the open slide concept, but it's just big and doesn't do it for me.

I'm out of the closet - I've loved almost every Italian gun I've used. The 92 is beefy as a heifer and I've got girlish hands, it doesn't do well with me. I like the design of it, the lines of it, and the open slide concept, but it's just big and doesn't do it for me.
Ah I can totally see that they do seem very large especially if you compare them to a Glock in the same caliber. I 100% agree with you on the design aspects of it. Time to be thankful for big hands then lmao

Not own guns and people with guns are never welcome in my house. I've seen what guns can do...

Not own guns and people with guns are never welcome in my house. I've seen what guns can do...
What can guns do? The worst I've seen is dripping oil onto nice slacks. The Dry Cleaner got it out though.
Glad to see how standoffish you are. Thanks for outing yourself.

The saying goes
Rather have it and not neesing it than
Needing it and not haveing it 😁
There will never be a shortage of weapons. When they are needed someone is going to show up with them. Look at Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatamala, Columbia or any Latin American country with a history of internal conflict. They didn't have the open market or the culture(I mean gun obsessed culture) that America has. There were a lot of restrictions on private ownership. Somehow it ended up that everyone had some kind of rifle. It's almost like somebody in a pick up truck showed up and just started throwing them out in a crowd. Just like in Iraq, Afghanistan, or wherever. Where did all the guns come from in Belfast. They just didn't pop out of nowhere.
They got armed guards at the KFC in Mexico City. Guys with shot guns guarding a 12 piece buckets of chicken.

There will never be a shortage of weapons. When they are needed someone is going to show up with them. Look at Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatamala, Columbia or any Latin American country with a history of internal conflict. They didn't have the open market or the culture(I mean gun obsessed culture) that America has. There were a lot of restrictions on private ownership. Somehow it ended up that everyone had some kind of rifle. It's almost like somebody in a pick up truck showed up and just started throwing them out in a crowd. Just like in Iraq, Afghanistan, or wherever. Where did all the guns come from in Belfast. They just didn't pop out of nowhere.
They got armed guards at the KFC in Mexico City. Guys with shot guns guarding a 12 piece buckets of chicken.
There's armed guards at most markets I've been to in Mexico, not just KFC. There's armed guards at Vallartas and other mexican markets in the states too, makes it feel more like home.

Welp, here's the little .380 I mentioned, with size context. Waiting-period over so I picked it up and went straight to the range. Only 1 miss-feed with FMJ out of 180+ rounds (both FMJ and HP)! IMO that's pretty good for an out-of-the-box-new pocket pistol. I've never had great luck with the budget sub-compacts, but the LCP has been around for a while and I saw decent reviews. (y)
I like it for what it is, and I'll definitely prefer carrying it over the 9mm when it makes sense. It was on-sale for $200, so why not?
The grip only fits my middle and ring fingers, but it looks like I can get extra-finger mag extensions.
It's accurate enough for close-range. It doesn't have a safety, but the long, stiff trigger-pull makes me feel better about keeping one chambered - unlike no-safety, striker-fired models with the short, light trigger-pulls which I'm convinced would blow my balls off the first time I sat down or something.
I sincerely hope I never, ever need to use it off the range.

I also picked up some Tannerite targets to take out with my long rifle next weekend. I've never shot them before but I've seen some vids and they look like a lot of fun. 😁

[Moving this here from the "For Gun Owners" thread]

For anyone who cares, or is just bored and keeping their eyes busy, here's an update on this pistol: IMO, it's great.

It's light and compact enough that I can wear it inside my waistband like it belongs there, and not so uncomfortable that I have to remove it when sitting or driving. It's more comfy when I do, of course, but I don't have to.
I wore it around for a full day to test it out and by the end of the day I had nearly forgotten it was there. I mean, I was aware of it's presence, like a cell phone in a back pocket.
I've put about 500 rounds through it at this point and it runs like a champ no matter what type of .380 ammo I put into it. Not a single malfunction since the 1 miss-feed during the first few hundred rounds. I'm not sure if I was just lucky and got a "good one", or if it's because Ruger knows how to make reliable firearms.
This is the 3rd budget compact .380 I've ever purchased. The other 2 - a Lorcin and a Cobra, both of which I eventually traded off - taught me one very important thing about cheap pistols: assume you may initially have only 1 shot to save your life with. This was also my experience with the 9mm SCCY DVG-1. CPX-1 runs great if I don't use anything heavier than 115 grains.
Not the case with this little Ruger, however - it fuckin' delivers, or at least mine does.
Definitely a close-range weapon; accuracy gets quickly "relaxed" as the distance increases (but the barrel is less than 3 inches).

It's my new primary CC and I decided I like it so much that I got the 1-inch mag extensions for a full grip, a tiny-but-bright little spotlight attached to the front of the trigger-guard, and a belt-clip attachment so I don't need a holster. The trigger pull is stiff-and-long enough that there's no chance it's going off in my pants (if I keep one chambered).
There's really no place for a red-dot, but it's range doesn't really justify one, anyway. Unless you put a laser on it, quickly aiming this one is the equivalent of pointing your finger.

If I had any complaints, it would be that the built-in sites suck on dark targets. They're pretty bad in general. I may actually paint some white dots on them to improve them. Also, it only holds 6+1 rounds. A sacrifice for the size, I imagine. Maybe down the road I'll try the LCP MAX and see if I like it better. It's still .380, but holds 10+1. The price is also twice the cost of the LCP.

Is it too obvious I don't have a lot of folks in my life I can "talk guns" with? 😄

Last edited:
Eh, Milling machine and a lathe fills the gap.
Unfortunately, my "shop" is not so endowed. But I think I'd love to get into using a lathe. Couldn't a rudimentary one be rigged up using a power drill, a dulled spike, and a couple of vices? 😁

Unfortunately, my "shop" is not so endowed. But I think I'd love to get into using a lathe. Couldn't a rudimentary one be rigged up using a power drill, a dulled spike, and a couple of vices? 😁
Put the word out that you want a lathe, pop in at machine shops inquire about old machines. You will end up with one I promise.

Reactions: IHO
Gitcherself a set of the Gingery "build your own metalworking shop" books :)

South Africa, the real wild west.😂 One of the highest crime and murder rates in the world, damn right I have guns. Canik TP9sf, Sig sp2022, Mauser M18, panzer ar12, norinco type 56 (more a display unit, old and rusty. Chinese shit)

Back