Fostering

Does anyone know if it's possible to foster an intact male dog I want a dog but I want to have the dog for awhile without having to adopt immediately.

Not in any rescue I am familiar with, though I imagine it might vary based on your location's issue with stray dogs. Where I'm at a large number of backyard breeders+proximity to a place puppy mills are legal has bred an ongoing problem with every publicly funded rescue being at or near capacity, and with no kill shelters still having to put down a significant percentage (approaching 50% of intake for the year) of dogs for funding reasons. For example, old to very old dog, vet visit, likely put down. Cancers or conditions necessitating costly surgery or ongoing specialized care, likely put down. Severe temperament issues like aggression, likely put down.

So yeah, every rescue, whether breed or rescue here every dog taken is brought to the vet, checked for a chip or surgery scars, examined and if the dogs gunna stick with us and is intact gets spayed or neutered along with any other medical work needs to be done. Fosters are definitely in demand here.

Other places, however, like Colorado are in demand for adoptable dogs. We would sometimes, when possible, fly a group of dogs up with planned adoptions already in place (through another rescue there we worked with).

No try-before-you-buy in the rescue community lol.

Not in any rescue I am familiar with, though I imagine it might vary based on your location's issue with stray dogs. Where I'm at a large number of backyard breeders+proximity to a place puppy mills are legal has bred an ongoing problem with every publicly funded rescue being at or near capacity, and with no kill shelters still having to put down a significant percentage (approaching 50% of intake for the year) of dogs for funding reasons. For example, old to very old dog, vet visit, likely put down. Cancers or conditions necessitating costly surgery or ongoing specialized care, likely put down. Severe temperament issues like aggression, likely put down.

So yeah, every rescue, whether breed or rescue here every dog taken is brought to the vet, checked for a chip or surgery scars, examined and if the dogs gunna stick with us and is intact gets spayed or neutered along with any other medical work needs to be done. Fosters are definitely in demand here.

Other places, however, like Colorado are in demand for adoptable dogs. We would sometimes, when possible, fly a group of dogs up with planned adoptions already in place (through another rescue there we worked with).

Actually a lot of shelters love when fosters adopt their foster animals. I've seen a lot of foster to adopt they like this cause if you have the dog for weeks or months especially if you're spending a lot of time with it like a medical need dog you're more likely to actually keep the dog than going into a shelter and just choosing one based on a 30 minute to 1 hour interaction. Very sad about the status of rescue in your area though.❤️‍🩹

guess it depends on your area. around here (czech republic) it is possible to foster an intact dog. spays/neuters are not pushed as hard here as they seem to be in the us. tho i'd probably refrain from getting sexual with a dog i'm not 100% sure i want to keep.

there's a place where puppy mills are legal? oO

Actually a lot of shelters love when fosters adopt their foster animals. I've seen a lot of foster to adopt they like this cause if you have the dog for weeks or months especially if you're spending a lot of time with it like a medical need dog you're more likely to actually keep the dog than going into a shelter and just choosing one based on a 30 minute to 1 hour interaction. Very sad about the status of rescue in your area though.❤️‍🩹
Sure, those are called 'failed fosters.' that doesnt really have anything to do with the genetalia of the animals, however.

guess it depends on your area. around here (czech republic) it is possible to foster an intact dog. spays/neuters are not pushed as hard here as they seem to be in the us. tho i'd probably refrain from getting sexual with a dog i'm not 100% sure i want to keep.

there's a place where puppy mills are legal? oO
oklahoma -_-

Back