Following question...

Lokissimo

Citizen of Zooville
Ok, this may be totally dumb of me but what is "following" a member all about? Do you get updates when they post something? Do they just see that there is an interest (like a "poke?") I'm confused!

I was thinking the same thing
Go to the bar at the top of the screen, and look for the "What's New" item - just to the right of it is a little down-pointing triangle icon. Click-and-hold on the little triangle (NOT on the "What's New" itself) until a dropdown menu appears, and from that menu, select "Your News Feed". Anything posted by someone you've "followed" will appear there.

You get a notice when they post sometimes (maybe always? no idea for sure.....), it tells you if they are online when you are, etc. I think most use it as a passive interest button to be honest.
That's how I expected it to work, but it doesn't - You have to "go hunting" for it under the What's New submenu.

That's how I expected it to work, but it doesn't - You have to "go hunting" for it under the What's New submenu.

You're right. I get it confused with the notice you get when someone posts in a thread YOU also posted in. I think it really does function more like facebook's old poke feature, lol. Except WAY less irritating.

You're right. I get it confused with the notice you get when someone posts in a thread YOU also posted in. I think it really does function more like facebook's old poke feature, lol. Except WAY less irritating.
Wouldn't know anything about that, as I have never (and never will) used Facepuke.

You get ignored by people who find it rude and unwelcome to randomly follow them.

how is following someone rude? oO
Simply, it feels like being stalked. I guess people are trying to be friendly, or bring themselves to be noticed by someone, but thats not a great way to get to know me. I put a note on my profile in BIG red letters not to do it. I have 15 or so followers. All but three are the remains of our Professional Stalker. Each time hes followed me and been banned, he's left me a reminder...if that isnt rude, I dont know what is. But it gives me a nice little collection of Shrunken heads<Grinnn>
At the base of the profile Card, theres a header "Postings". That brings up all posts by any given poster. You want to Read people"s latest posts, thats the way to do it.

Go to the bar at the top of the screen, and look for the "What's New" item - just to the right of it is a little down-pointing triangle icon. Click-and-hold on the little triangle (NOT on the "What's New" itself) until a dropdown menu appears, and from that menu, select "Your News Feed". Anything posted by someone you've "followed" will appear there.
AHA! Thank you very much! :) You get a cookie!

Simply, it feels like being stalked. I guess people are trying to be friendly, or bring themselves to be noticed by someone, but thats not a great way to get to know me. I put a note on my profile in BIG red letters not to do it. I have 15 or so followers. All but three are the remains of our Professional Stalker. Each time hes followed me and been banned, he's left me a reminder...if that isnt rude, I dont know what is. But it gives me a nice little collection of Shrunken heads<Grinnn>
At the base of the profile Card, theres a header "Postings". That brings up all posts by any given poster. You want to Read people"s latest posts, thats the way to do it.

"Shrunken Heads" - LOL

Oh wow, I didn’t know that. I though it just showed when they were online, lol. Thanks UR.

But I was going to fallow you to the watering hole old wise one.😢

Is it possible to turn someone’s following on your profile off without blocking or ignoring them? It’s not that I don’t want to see what they post or block them from seeing mine, I just find it kinda creepy especially when you’ve never talked, or are even remotely into the same thing.

Even if you ignore them, they are still following as far as I know. YOU don't see them, but they still see you. You are ignoring, not them. Aside from that, you can request that they unfollow, but I don't think you can make it happen.

I don’t facefuck or twatter, and yes sometimes a block all button would be great, it leaves holes in many discussions. Sometimes their input is never needed, but it can be good to know that the idiots are out there. Like running around with the blinders up. Life seems better, but the problem is still there, and usually just getting worse.
On that thought tho, it would be really nice to have a blacklist or something. Something that maybe highlights their post as a warning to be not taken seriously, or ignored lol

I don’t facefuck or twatter, and yes sometimes a block all button would be great, it leaves holes in many discussions. Sometimes their input is never needed, but it can be good to know that the idiots are out there. Like running around with the blinders up. Life seems better, but the problem is still there, and usually just getting worse.
On that thought tho, it would be really nice to have a blacklist or something. Something that maybe highlights their post as a warning to be not taken seriously, or ignored lol
Full concurrence with these thoughts.

Is it possible to turn someone’s following on your profile off without blocking or ignoring them? It’s not that I don’t want to see what they post or block them from seeing mine, I just find it kinda creepy especially when you’ve never talked, or are even remotely into the same thing.
You're not the first to want the ability to disable following. It's stupid that you can lock the ability to post to your profile. Block the ability to PM. Even prevent anyone from seeing your profile. But still they're allowed to stalk you and get a notification every time you post something.

Until they give us the ability to disable following anyone who does follow me gets ignored and an asshole post to their profile to remove their stalking.

Not sure if setting who can receive your news feed to nobody blocks followers or not, be nice if it did as well as having the ability to remove unwanted followers.

You're not the first to want the ability to disable following. It's stupid that you can lock the ability to post to your profile. Block the ability to PM. Even prevent anyone from seeing your profile. But still they're allowed to stalk you and get a notification every time you post something.

Until they give us the ability to disable following anyone who does follow me gets ignored and an asshole post to their profile to remove their stalking.
This would be nice, but as I was saying earlier, it can lead to many holes in conversations, as some people tend to go wild with blocking people, then next thing you know a thread turns into a garbled conversation. It would be nice to see an option to request a block, but I’m pretty sure if it comes down to that, it’s of a harassment matter, and usually someone gets banned...

Block enough people and you find out that you can only ignore 1000 people, and yes I found that limit months ago.
LOL. I was wondering when I was going to hit the limit. I got some time. And then, since I never see them and don't otherwise know, I can go thru and unignore the inactive idiots.

Back