Ear lump

goldenguy

Tourist
I have three golden retrievers. Work construction so this time of year money gets a lil tight. So before I goto vet I’d like some outsider opinions. One has a lump in his ear. He hasn’t been digging. No mites or fleas. It doesn’t bug seem to bug him. Could this just be an allergy I did switch his food temporarily because it’s getting really hard to find pro plan lamb an oat where I live. Any thoughts an suggestions are welcomed an appreciated. Thank you.

I have three golden retrievers. Work construction so this time of year money gets a lil tight. So before I goto vet I’d like some outsider opinions. One has a lump in his ear. He hasn’t been digging. No mites or fleas. It doesn’t bug seem to bug him. Could this just be an allergy I did switch his food temporarily because it’s getting really hard to find pro plan lamb an oat where I live. Any thoughts an suggestions are welcomed an appreciated. Thank you.
I’ve never heard of food causing a lump on an ear, but it’s always possible. Is the dog in physically good shape? How old? Some places have vets that you can speak to on the phone for quick advice. Keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn’t grow, and go over the area very carefully and make sure there is no bite marks or something else. Don’t squeeze it either, although it could just be a zit type thing/cyst, but possibly worse. At least try to consult a vet asap.

What kind of lump, like something small or is a large area enlarged kind of like a pocket?

If the latter it's probably a ruptured blood vessel that created a fluid pocket between the skin that is the inside of the ear and the skin that is the outside. The same thing happened to my Golden several years back. Took him to my vet, the vet said it's not uncommon for floppy eared breeds, they can do it just by a good head shake or a vigorous scratch. She said not to be concerned about it unless it keeps growing. The only option they have is to drain it, but in most cases it will drain itself. My boy's did, you can feel kind of a crease where it was.

Maybe a photo will give more hints.. I've seen dogs loosing an hear because of untreated lumps

It’s his actual ear flap I don’t see any bit marks he does shake his head from time to time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
Dogs can get different benign lumps from time to time. Lipomas are common in dogs but not in the ear.

Does it seem to bother the dog?

No I can touch it he doesn’t care I haven’t tried squeezing it though. Dont wanna intentionally hurt him. Nothing out of the ordinary other than the lump.

I’d keep an eye on it but if it isn’t bothering him yet I wouldn’t worry too much.

As long as it’s not changing color or growing

It hasn’t grown at at all just kinda was there one day.
Keep any eye on it, and ask a vet if possible. I know some tick bites can be fatal if left untreated. It doesn’t look infected or swollen at least. Might just be from when he was playing with your other dogs.

Have you looked up aural or ear hematomas like Dartel and BeastMelon said? That would be a common "ear bump" explanation. Can't really see anything on that picture (it's surprisingly hard to take a picture of something like that, I have no tips to give in that regard other then maybe zooming out so there are points of reference, and maybe indicating where the lesion is if it's still not very apparent)

Back