Dog vasectomy or chemical sterilization

knottyinva1

Tourist
Hello!
I am interested in getting an intact pup soon but there are several reasons why I would like him to be sterilized but not castrated.

-I'd like to prevent unwanted litters. They result in pets going to kill shelters and being euthanized, as you all surely know.

-My current (neutered) pup goes to doggy daycare occasionally for socialization and they require males be neutered.

-Most of the dog parks here require that males are neutered.

I obviously want to keep him intact so he can knot me. Does anyone have any experience with either a dog vasectomy or chemical sterilization? I'd like to make sure he is sterile but keep the cum, if possible. Also, how did you justify this choice to your vet? I'm not interested in coming out as a zoophile to my vet. ?

Lastly, does anyone know of vets on the East coast that perform this?

Last edited:
If you want your dog to be social, I'd meet up with other dog owners. I don't believe dog parks are guarded. Cop walks up "Excuse me mam, I'm gonna have to check your dog's dick to see if he's neutered.". I'd just train the dog to not do anything suspicious.

Chemical castration is what it sounds like.
It's a chip that is inserted under the dogs skin which reduces the testosterone levels of the dog. It is the same as cutting the balls off only with the difference that when the chip stops releasing it's chemical things (i don't know what exactly happens there) he's gonna be potent again.
Chemical castration makes the balls shrink during it's time (i think it's somewhat about 6 to 9 months). Sex drive is reduced.

Vasectomy, I don't know anything about that.

Vasectomy, dog keeps full sex drive and can still cum. Basically nothing changes accept that his sperm count goes bye bye. He still has all the tendencies of an intact male. On dog parks, you will find that neutered males will attack intact males out of insecurity. Dog parks are just an all around bad idea for more than 1 or 2 reason.

Does chemical castration only reduce the sex drive so it's no guarantee against successful matings?

I really want to get a female dog but don't want any accidental litters. I don't think neutering my male dog would be fair towards him just to make things more convenient for me.

Does chemical castration only reduce the sex drive so it's no guarantee against successful matings?

I really want to get a female dog but don't want any accidental litters. I don't think neutering my male dog would be fair towards him just to make things more convenient for me.
It also stops production of sperm.

Here is a directory in case anyone else is interested:

There's another option, though I haven't done a lot of research on it beyond learning the very basics involved - google "zeutering" and you should find a wealth of info. The short form is that a zinc compound (I'm wanting to say zinc chloride from memory, but that may be wrong) is injected directly into each testicle. This causes what amounts to chemical burns inside the testicle (and before you cringe and turn off the idea entirely, be aware that while testicles are generally pretty "impact" and "crush" sensitive in terms of pain, the one video I watched documenting the procedure didn't appear to cause more than minor transient discomfort, despite being done with no anesthesia) followed by massive scar-tissue formation inside the testicle that blocks the tubules that collect the sperm and deliver it to the vasa for transport to the rest of the reproductive system. There's also some speculation that says the initial chemical burns destroy a major percentage of the cells that actually produce sperm cells, reducing sperm production to the point where even if the scarring didn't mechanically prevent whatever sperm cells are still produced from getting to the point where they can be ejaculated, the sperm count would be so low as to render the dog effectively sterile without the assistance of "heroic measures" to collect and concentrate whatever small amount of viable sperm cells he produces.

Get him vasectomised! That is only the sure way you know he is sterilised and still behaves and plays like an intact male dog.

Chemical castration - Deslorelin (Suprelorin) implants is a temporary "castration" therapy that lasts anywhere from 6 - 18 months, depending on what dose you using. It makes male dogs sterile but knocks their libido right off completely, so you are less likely able to play with them sexually while they are on the implant.

Veterinarian Directory - Parsemus Foundation
Yes, that is a helpful list to find a vet who will do that for you.

:husky_happysmile:

Get him vasectomised! That is only the sure way you know he is sterilised and still behaves and plays like an intact male dog.

Chemical castration - Deslorelin (Suprelorin) implants is a temporary "castration" therapy that lasts anywhere from 6 - 18 months, depending on what dose you using. It makes male dogs sterile but knocks their libido right off completely, so you are less likely able to play with them sexually while they are on the implant.

Yes, that is a helpful list to find a vet who will do that for you.

:husky_happysmile:

The vasectomy is the plan :)

If a vet asks why, you could say that you disagree about castration on ethical grounds (bodily integrity). If they argue, just say you're done your own research, youll be responsible about avouding unwanted litters, and you don't wish to debate it with them.

Some breeders do not want you to remove the testicles because breeds like grate Danes brake down earlier if castrated earlier then two years.

On dog parks, you will find that neutered males will attack intact males out of insecurity. Dog parks are just an all around bad idea for more than 1 or 2 reason.

Not strictly true. There are many factors to take into account. My boy was attacked once when he was still in his puppy monbths but since thern only had a few snarls from other intact dogs. Dogs vasectomised within 6 months or so have their hormones all over the place which can cause problems until they settle down.

Recent studies also show if a puppy is neutered before adulthood it can slow the closure of their growth plates which in turn can cause increased risk of dysplasia.

Not strictly true. There are many factors to take into account. My boy was attacked once when he was still in his puppy monbths but since thern only had a few snarls from other intact dogs. Dogs vasectomised within 6 months or so have their hormones all over the place which can cause problems until they settle down.

Recent studies also show if a puppy is neutered before adulthood it can slow the closure of their growth plates which in turn can cause increased risk of dysplasia.
Not strictly true, you are correct. BUT, when you get down into the factors involved, you aren't just dealing with dogs. It is dogs with their inherent personalities and quirks AND their owners. I would be willing to state that owners are a bigger issue than the other dogs themselves. When you start getting into socialization, shots, training (or lack thereof), how observant the owners are, do they discipline their dogs when required or are their dogs the most perfect little angels? When you start adding up all those factors, is the risk REALLY worth it? You and I may be the best owners in the world. That doesn't mean that Joe or Jane Schmuckerelly next door puts the same emphasis on being a responsible owner.

Last edited:
When it comes to justification I recommend you do a little bit of research on the topic. The Scientific consensus is pretty clear that removing part of the endocrine system has mostly negative effects on a dogs health while the often cited behavioral changes are unsubstantiated. If you want to do some reading on the topic "Desexing Dogs: A Review of the Current Literature" is a good place to start. it's a "literature review" from 2019, basically a summary of the current consensus ( mdpi.com/2076-2615/9/12/1086/htm )

When it comes to justification I recommend you do a little bit of research on the topic. The Scientific consensus is pretty clear that removing part of the endocrine system has mostly negative effects on a dogs health while the often cited behavioral changes are unsubstantiated. If you want to do some reading on the topic "Desexing Dogs: A Review of the Current Literature" is a good place to start. it's a "literature review" from 2019, basically a summary of the current consensus ( mdpi.com/2076-2615/9/12/1086/htm )
I'm not planning on removing anything. That was the point of this post.

I'm not planning on removing anything. That was the point of this post.
Exactly my point. Neutering has an enormous impact on the health of an animal and in the case of dogs the behavioral changes don't justify it in any way! If you ask me it should be illegal to do in without medical necessity in every country not just a few! I was just giving you some resources so you have a basis to stand on when you feel the need to justify not mutilating your animal...
(little nit pick thou: the recomended vasectomy procedure on animals calls for the removal of a part of the Vas deferens so even thou that would be a less invasive procedure keeping the endocine system in tact you'd still be removing something. That sayed keeping an intact dog isn't such a big deal if s/he's properly trained)

... That sayed keeping an intact dog isn't such a big deal if s/he's properly trained) ...

Are you sure if you can train away the sex drive? Yes it makes sense to leash you male dog when a bitch is in heat. But keeping in mind, that your dog will know much earlier about the bitch then you as human ever will. So even with a well trained dog, I would expect mother nature to find her way sooner or later. :love:

Right now we have an intact male Husky and an intact female Great Dane in the house. I'm home most of the time so I can keep an eye on them, but can't watch them 100% of the time, and all it takes is a few seconds for something to happen. However, I don't think dogs can get pregnant when they aren't in heat, and her pussy is extremely tiny, anyway. It's been well over a year since she's been in heat, and she's too tall for him and isn't cooperative. These factors have prevented her from getting pregnant.

However, in most situations it's a bit of a gamble. Even though pregnancy is a big fetish of mine and I'd LOVE to see her with a swollen belly, I'm somewhat rational and responsible. I would encourage my roommate to have a vasectomy done on his Husky if there were anyplace that would do it at a reasonable price. I understand ovarian-saving spays can be performed on females, but it's the same situation.

The intact Husky can be very aggressive when he wants to hump and tends to bite and bark in your face, which we are trying to correct. On the other hand, the one on whom I had a vasectomy performed was the sweetest, most gentle dog you'd ever meet.
Thanks so much for the response! It is good to hear from someone who actually got it done! I will let you all know how it goes

Are you sure if you can train away the sex drive? Yes it makes sense to leash you male dog when a bitch is in heat. But keeping in mind, that your dog will know much earlier about the bitch then you as human ever will. So even with a well trained dog, I would expect mother nature to find her way sooner or later. :love:

Contrary to what some mutilation propagandist might have you believe male dogs aren't some unstoppable heat seeking missile... Sure a bitch in heat is interesting but if you can call back your dog from chasing a cat odds are you can call him back from chasing a girl.

Think about it: Humans have lived and worked with dogs for thousands of years without mutilation. A dog that completely lost his mind as soon as there's a bitch in heat wouldn't have come very far. The whole "mutilate everything that fucks" mindset only happened in the last 50-100 years and even then mostly in the US. If you look at Europe you'll see a very different picture. From what I found about half of all dogs in Germany and France are intact and, due to stronger animal protection laws, over 90% in the Scandinavian countries. As far as I know we don't have much of a dog overpopulation problem here in Germany...

Right now we have an intact male Husky and an intact female Great Dane in the house. I'm home most of the time so I can keep an eye on them, but can't watch them 100% of the time, and all it takes is a few seconds for something to happen. However, I don't think dogs can get pregnant when they aren't in heat, and her pussy is extremely tiny, anyway. It's been well over a year since she's been in heat, and she's too tall for him and isn't cooperative. These factors have prevented her from getting pregnant.

However, in most situations it's a bit of a gamble. Even though pregnancy is a big fetish of mine and I'd LOVE to see her with a swollen belly, I'm somewhat rational and responsible. I would encourage my roommate to have a vasectomy done on his Husky if there were anyplace that would do it at a reasonable price. I understand ovarian-saving spays can be performed on females, but it's the same situation.

The intact Husky can be very aggressive when he wants to hump and tends to bite and bark in your face, which we are trying to correct. On the other hand, the one on whom I had a vasectomy performed was the sweetest, most gentle dog you'd ever meet.

If a had a male and also a female I would try to get a vasectomy just in case. But in general there isn't much pressure on spaying/neutering where I live. Specially if they are pure breed, since you just say you want to have puppies some day. Even with females. When you adopt a stray dog is different, specially in big cities, they are usually already spayed/neutered, or ask for it after adoption (but you don't usually need papers). Although I've seen a stray female dog with tubal ligation. Maybe because is cheap and easier to do. That's also an option, but for young females, you probably want to do the hysterectomy sooner or later, since this is more necessary, at least before becoming senior, to prevent pyometras. And if you go in an emergency, they will perform a full ovarian-hysterectomy.

A ovarian-saving spay (or plain hysterectomy) is not always "the solution". The problem is that apart from removing the uterus, they usually remove a big part of the vagina, leaving just a few centimeters (just behind where the urinal tract finish). So good luck trying to explain your vet than you not only want to keep her ovaries, but also her full vagina intact.... Also it doesn't prevent mamary tumors, which is an awful intervention to remove them at old age.

Last edited:
Hey, SkawdDawg? Just shake him off. Just a zoo who, like his dog, feels a need to raise a leg to every post.

Nothing of import in his response. Like the good book says, "He's done it before and he'll do it again, and every time he does it, seems only the children cry."

Like a couple responders mentioned previously, I very much appreciated hearing the details of an actual experience with an alternative to castration.

Back