Does spayed bitches go in heat?

Don't laugh at me for making this question. I don't know a thing about how their biology works.
This is really reassuring my suspicion that more and more people simply do not understand what spaying, neutering and castration (all the same procedure basically) is, what it does and how it is done.
It would explain the large number of "how to have sex with a neutered dog" threads.
Is this a failure of the education system in some probably mainly USA countries in the world?

This is really reassuring my suspicion that more and more people simply do not understand what spaying, neutering and castration (all the same procedure basically) is, what it does and how it is done.
It would explain the large number of "how to have sex with a neutered dog" threads.
Is this a failure of the education system in some probably mainly USA countries in the world?
i'd say it's just so normalized in countries like the usa that it's something you're raised with doing without even thinking about what it actually is or does. it also seems that it gets kinda pushed by vets in some places, like it's a thing you're supposed to do when you get a dog.

wouldn't really surprise me if there also was some number of ppl who simply discovered animal sex vids yesterday and decided they want one today and never cared for a dog prior so they have zero knowledge of what's what. might explain the number of "how to get my dog erect" threads...

still, it doesn't make this kind of thread any less hilarious.

I don't, that's why I asked.
I never studied about it anywhere.

I don't blame you for not knowing cause all states want you to but don't want to say anything about how the animals are affected by neutering. I could go on ranting but I'm not going to.

Anyway neutering/spaying almost always completely kills a dog's sex drive. Females won't go into heat and males won't be horny. That being said I've known a few to still like to play every once in a while but they had previously gotten pregnant.🙂

At a guess, I'd say it's a combination of "it's so standard you don't even think about it" and a lack of actual knowledge as to what the procedure is - especially because the terminology is different for humans vs animals.

For a male, castration is fairly obvious and well-known in how it works: balls go bye-bye. It's something easy to see, easy to comprehend, easy to explain. It's also fairly 'widely known' that it strongly affects (aggressive) behavior, meaning it's a somewhat common step to make a male dog more easy to control. I've heard more than a few people advocating the neutering of males point blank, unless you want to use them for stud service.

When talking about spaying/sterilizing it's slightly more removed: you can't see a uterus or ovaries. Female dogs are 'widely known' to be less aggressive, so there's less of a social pressure to spay them. Not to mention that in humans 'sterilizing' has a different connotation, it invokes the thought of a vasectomy, or getting your tubes tied. These procedures leave the sex drive intact, so "why would it be different for animals?"

It'd probably more clear if they were flat-out called as they are: castrations and hysterectomies.

Back