Does sex change the way your dog acts around you?

DChing29

Lurker
Been lurking for a while and I've been wanting to ask this question. Will a male dog change his perception of you once you've done the deed? Would he be more dominant, less obedient, or maybe even overprotective? I kinda want to do it but I'm uncertain of what happens next. Thanks!

That depends on YOU. It's the same as asking "If my dog fucks me, will he now just tear the shit out of the garbage?" You're the "master" or you're not. Your dog is well behaved or not, based on YOU. You can keep the dog in check, or you can let the dog do whatever the hell he wants. effectively making THEM the boss. It's your life, you run it however you see fit.

Maybe, you can't give an answer which will fit for every animal.
I agree, it's a subjective thing and different things happen in different ways with different individuals. But, I do think the "perception" question lies entirely within how the owner behaves and responds, but I feel like the degree each exhibits is really all that differs, when you boil it down to the essence.

Sure. in my opinion it is similar with every other (unwanted) behaviour..you can ignore it or actually spend time with your pet and work on it together.
Yes. Agreed. And exactly my point. And it works the same with wanted behavior, although since that is generally "your" idea or concept, that involves the difficulty of getting the concept into the dogs head, same as you get the concept of sex with you into his head.

the important stuff was already said by others, all i can give is personal experience i guess...
my late boy (and the love of my life) never really changed after sex became a part of our relationship, he was way too submissive for that. he was 10 when i got him, had multiple owners and the last one used to beat him and he eventually almost starved to death after his "owner" just moved away and left him at the house (he was a gsd-mix and when he got to me he was slim enough to fit trough a picket fence).. i'd like to believe he just enjoyed that human touch can lead to other emotions than pain and fear.

my current boy (more of a buddy, i'm still not ready to really love again) gets a bit "forceful" when he wants some and does all he can to achieve "my sheath in your hand" and we're still working on me being the one with final say which is kinda hard at times, because him doing all that is usually instant erection for me. and that's about it. no over-protection or trying to lead or anything like that... he pretty much hated other dogs before anything sexual became a part of the equation, but that's more about his last owners failing to socialize him (a leonberger who lived in a flat for two years with very little contact with the outside before they decided "he got too big, we don't want him anymore")... it's weird seeing normally a very gentle breed get so vicious around others, just because he has no idea how to handle new situations. i mean, he went for my throat when i first met him, now he whines and paws at me trying to get his dick in my hand/mouth.

For my guy it really hasn’t changed his behavior. He still views me as alpha and respects his role. I’d say the only thing that changed was the way he looks at me when we are around other people. He’s super focused on me (not obsessive or dominant) and always glued to my side. I’ve had so many people tell me they can’t believe how much he loves me! We’ll be in crowd or around friends and he’ll just have that look in his eyes of pure love and affection 🥰. It’s all about you being the leader and him respecting that. Then it’s all training, training and more training. Hope this helps! There is some great advice by others here.

That is a hard question to answer because I only know my Shepard the way that I know him. I dont know how he would be if we were not active, because we are active. That being said, he is attentive and well behaved (more or less...haha!). I named him shadow when he was just a pup because he was my shadow, always right next to me and usually underfoot. He is older now of course and well, still right next to me.

I think it is really my behavior that has changed to a certain degree. I know that i am attentive to him, treat him certain ways and part of that is because of our connection. that connection is strong and i think is reinforced when we are together, which in turn makes me even more attentive.

Its fascinating to think about all this

That is a hard question to answer because I only know my Shepard the way that I know him. I dont know how he would be if we were not active, because we are active. That being said, he is attentive and well behaved (more or less...haha!). I named him shadow when he was just a pup because he was my shadow, always right next to me and usually underfoot. He is older now of course and well, still right next to me.

I think it is really my behavior that has changed to a certain degree. I know that i am attentive to him, treat him certain ways and part of that is because of our connection. that connection is strong and i think is reinforced when we are together, which in turn makes me even more attentive.

Its fascinating to think about all this
Loyalty is sexy 😉

I can only speak from personal experience. I would say that it all has to do with what you are looking for in your K9 companion. If you want to just fuck or are you looking for them to be a intimate partner. For me I wanted a intimate partner. So it wasn’t just about sex for me I wanted to explore the feelings that came along with the connection of having a intimate relationship with Samson. He did become more protective, attentive and he has developed other feelings for me. But like I said I wanted to explore these things, so I embraced the idea. I would say it’s easy to ignore these feelings and just train them for strictly fucking if that’s what you want. I do recommend exploring the more intimate side of it though. It’s a wonderful experience.

I can only speak from personal experience. I would say that it all has to do with what you are looking for in your K9 companion. If you want to just fuck or are you looking for them to be a intimate partner. For me I wanted a intimate partner. So it wasn’t just about sex for me I wanted to explore the feelings that came along with the connection of having a intimate relationship with Samson. He did become more protective, attentive and he has developed other feelings for me. But like I said I wanted to explore these things, so I embraced the idea. I would say it’s easy to ignore these feelings and just train them for strictly fucking if that’s what you want. I do recommend exploring the more intimate side of it though. It’s a wonderful experience.
I love your outlook on the subject 😊

I didn’t read the responses and apologize but incase no one brought it up….I’ve always wondered this; if a man has a male dog who he lets “take him,” does the dog assume the alpha position?

I didn’t read the responses and apologize but incase no one brought it up….I’ve always wondered this; if a man has a male dog who he lets “take him,” does the dog assume the alpha position?
Not necessarily. It all depends on how dominant you are but in my case, both my boys see me as pack leader. When you let him mount you, you give him permission to mount and give his pups but after that it’s back to being pack leader. For me it’s love and respect.

I can totally relate to that :)

No/Yes. This depends on you. You have to show them as much attention on the days nothing happens as you do when you have interactions with them. If you give them extra attention only before the deed they will see it coming and possibly act different.. when you two are finished with the deed you need to cuddle, talk sweet, treat them and play with them AS WELL as when you're just hanging out together.. Somewhat like a human interaction. You would use a person and push them away if you weren't truly interested so don't do it to puppo!

That depends on the dog, you, and your relationship with him. He could become all of those, maybe more aggressive too, maybe he’ll think he’s in charge now (although that one is unlikely). It’s up to you whether or not you want to correct him and he’ll follow your lead. Personally I recommend giving him a few days because you might end up enjoying your new dynamic

I have been thinking about this a lot. My Shepard I think just acts naturally and ‘does his thing’. I on the other hand, have changed somewhat and I think part of that is the intimacy of having him inside me, his semen inside me and the repeated close contact. My body just reacts to him now and the intimacy has become very natural for me too.

I guess I have changed due to him!

Been lurking for a while and I've been wanting to ask this question. Will a male dog change his perception of you once you've done the deed? Would he be more dominant, less obedient, or maybe even overprotective? I kinda want to do it but I'm uncertain of what happens next. Thanks!
It didn't change with my dog, he behaves the way he always has until I drop to my hands and knees.

Yes I do agree with you, my experience was, as you say, a wonderful experience, it was like after being in a situation of " intimacy, physical intimacy " we went from being "friends" to be "very, very close friends" and even though Walter was not my own pet, he could clearly express his increased closeness to me, after we had been together...

It doesn't affect your status at all as pack leader. The only way you could end up having any kind of negative behavioral feedback is if you let it happen. Just like any training/behavorial issue with a dog.

Dogs' social wiring isn't as ordered as wolves. I can't exactly speak for dogs generally, as my boy is more wolf than dog, but he was raised with great care by my brother and grandmother, along with myself though I was still a child at the time. Wolves naturally order themselves by seniority/parental supremacy, so the way he acts around my brother is different than around me. Sex probably did make him a lot more attached to me though, so he usually goes wherever I go, and it took a lot of training and experimentation to make him handle my absence without issue, or be able to go hunting with my brother.

There aren't really any fights for any "alpha position", at best there are miscommunications, where he doesn't understand what is going on, or I simply can't convey it to him, for example, I can't go into stores while walking him, because he won't remain outside and any leash will give up before he gives up on following me, but he doesn't have that issue with my brother when they are together.

I don't know if any dogs are similar in that regard though, as most dogs seem a lot more unruly and playfully care-free in my experience. Dogs aren't as smart, but I can't imagine them being completely rewired from their wild origins.

When I was young and stupid, I started having sex with my dog way before he was fully mature or fully trained. This resulted in some very bad behavior. We're talking marking in the house, fighting with the other dog and acting aggressive towards humans other than me. As I was still living with my parents and younger siblings, I had orders to either have him neutered or one or both of us would have to find a new home.

I had him neutered against my wishes. It took most of a year until the hormones wore off, but the bad behavior stopped and he was friends with the other dog again. (The other dog got neutered at the same time.) I continued having sex with both dogs (yes, they still wanted it and were fully capable, just no "liquid assets.") They got along OK, as long as I did any sexual things them in the correct order of dominance.

He was the first, last and only dog I got as a pup. All my later dogs have come to me as mature adults. Some were neutered, some were not. I have worked with all of them so they understand that sex only happens when I say so. It only happens in a special place and I do / say / wear something that I don't do at any other time. It's been over 40 years and 7 dogs, and none of them have done anything to 'out' me in front of friends or family.

Back