Do certain breeds have a higher libido than others?

I don't know about that.

But there's something called "hypersexuality", which occurs in some breeds like Labrador Retrievers.
However, this is not really desirable since it leaves the (male) dog under permanent stress, especially when meeting a female or neutered male.

Do you know whether this is related to Labradors' insatiable appetite, @MRYP? Maybe even to their openness to strangers? Labradors seem to lack more than one inhibition which other dogs show.

I could imagine that accounts of hypersexuality in dogs are sometimes just within the range of normal sexual behavior that some owners feel uncomfortable with though. Many people simply reject to see their pets as sexual beings. For example this article "Hypersexuality in Male Dogs" says:
Hypersexuality is essentially excessive or aberrant sexual behavior, although it is sometimes also taken to encompass normal sexual behavior that is misplaced within modern society. [...] Many of the dog owners stated that they were not concerned about seeking treatment for this behavior. This is possibly because this type of behavior is accepted as part and parcel of owning an entire male dog. In fact, some of these traits are normal in male dogs and it is merely a question of severity, frequency and place that makes the behavior unacceptable.

Do you know whether this is related to Labradors' insatiable appetite, @MRYP? Maybe even to their openness to strangers? Labradors seem to lack more than one inhibition which other dogs show.
I guess it comes from the way they are bred, not particularly from their high appetite or openness to strangers.
It might come from a mix of all those traits, because Labradors appear to have an increase desire to do anything.
Yes, they have a monstrous appetite, they lack distance whether it's humans or dogs.
Labradors, especially young ones, tend do be extremely submissive and sometimes also fiddle alot. This is a sign of nervosity and/or anxiety, which automatically leads to stress and stress needs to be released somehow.
This can look like hypersexuality.

But like... Real hypersexuality, I'm not sure. It may be the hormones, it may be the individual dog, or it may just be a breed "trait" that came as a consequence for increasing and decreasing other behaviours.

I could imagine that accounts of hypersexuality in dogs are sometimes just within the range of normal sexual behavior that some owners feel uncomfortable with though. Many people simply reject to see their pets as sexual beings. For example this article "Hypersexuality in Male Dogs" says:
Yeah, I also believe this to be true.
However, there are still non-zoo dogowners who had enough males to tell the difference between normal sexuality and hypersexuality.
But honestly, I wouldn't even know when to call a dog hypersexual or just unsatisfied in his sexuality. My dog basically never has sex, but he doesn't roam around trying to hump everything and everyone.
He's a shepherd. Maybe he'd react differently if he was a Lab or Chihuahua.

Yes, and the build of the dog is a big part of how willing or able they are to hump, too.
You can't get a Saint Bernard to mount on a sunny day in Texas no matter how horny he is, because he is very fluffy, too hot and his body is heavy and cumbersome. This breed also has some of the worst hips you could ever have on a dog breed, collectively. They are not built to move a lot and they overheat easily.

A dog like most huntings dogs, dalmatians, belgian malinois, kelpie, sighthouds.. those are built to move and run so they are better at jumping on someone else's back and hump away!
But then there's the psychology and sex drive to count for. A shy dog might be too scared to "be rude" and mount, and a rude dog might be even aggressive and not nice to offer a hump for.
Very friendly breeds seem to be more open to hump more imo. If you want to have sex with a "primitive" breed, which doesn't want to please others so much and has more inhibitions starting from just greeting strangers.. you'd have to put a lot more effort into getting to know to them. They are always worth it though IMO, and I'm not even talking about sex here :)

Depends on how active a particular breed is. The climate plays a large role in this, some breeds are very adapted for cold climates and are more active while in hotter climates they are more sluggish and vice versa. Dogs are social animals so interaction with the dog has influence aswell. A healthy amount of spending time with the dog results in a happier dog, happier dogs excrete hormones that make them feel positive, same with us humans.

This is very weakly dependent on the breed group.
Of course, you can track the drift of the trait within the breed group, if you carefully monitor breeding. But overall, it is most individual.

For male dogs I'd definitely have to say pitbulls or bullys, those seem to be the only breeds that are sexual around me

Read your post & it got me wondering my doberman bitch used to nuzzel & lick my penis if i was naked she would just come up & do it. Also she would back into me when i was sitting down. Was this a sign she wanted more? and are they known to be more sexual as well?

Hell yes, you are being told to screw her. She knows what you have and she knows where you should put it.

I do not think this is something that can be characterized by breed. Dogs are very individual. I believe the more enjoyable you can do it for the dog, the more horny the dog will appear.
yeah, i think the same on this matter. it's very doubtful any breed was shaped to have higher libido (even as a biproduct of fishing for another trait) considering a "humpy" dog is generally seen as a nuisance

Spending 10 years around at least 12 breeds of dog both mixed and pure fixed and non fixed YES there are. Which is hornier no idea, but up there is Pitt bulls for sure, especially those mixed with labs, at least specifically the male versions along with various shepherds and Siberian huskies. For females black labs German shepherds and golden retrievers are generally hornier. Those are the breeds I specifically have been around and can say for sure apply, but it is still a case by case basis. Younger dogs are also the horniest, and males are generally hornier than females. In the end it's best to just read body language and let that be the ultimate deciding factor on any sexual activity.

I somehow always thought that small breeds tend to be hornier. Poodles are too much into licking though.

Was this a sign she wanted more? and are they known to be more sexual as well?
Each breed group is characterized by a certain type of higher nervous activity. For convenience, in our country they are standardized into 5 types.
What you described for Dobermans is determined by this. This also applies to elements of reproductive behavior, respectively. But this does not determine the degree of sexual arousal of a particular breed group. This is just a definite type of reaction to a standardized stimulus.

Can't be generalized, but for years I've checked GSD as the horniest dog, easy to train and estimulate. This breed is known for his intense and uncovered sexual ( and that perfect hot cock!!!) factor

All my female Labradors were sexually receptive. The are friendly and great with people in general.
You must spend time with them bonding. They are not hyper sexual but receptive to human advances in and out of heat. For Lab sex can be just part or a relationship.

Back