pes

Staff member
There is a lot of confusion around terms used in the zoo community, so here is how science defines these terms:

Bestialist: There are the “bestialists” who have one or a few sexual contacts with an animal, or they use animals when a more “normal” outlet is not available.
(2002, Understanding Bestiality and Zoophilia, Hani Miletski, page 5)

Zoophile: The second class are the “zoophiles.” These are the people who prefer an animal as a sex partner, often forming deep emotional relationships with it (Matthews, 1994)"
(2002, Understanding Bestiality and Zoophilia, Hani Miletski, page 5)

According to Kurrelgyre (1995), “zoophilia” is an emotional attachment to an animal that causes a human being to prefer a non-human animal as a companion and/or sexual partner.
(2002, Understanding Bestiality and Zoophilia, Hani Miletski, page 6)

Zoo exclusive: Class X, “exclusive zoosexuals” have sexual activity primarily or exclusively with animals and prefer animals to humans, consistent with Earls and Lalumiere’s (2009) criteria for exclusive zoophilia. (quoted below)
(2022, Measurement and Correlates of Zoophilic Interest in an Online Community Sample, Alexandra M. Zidenberg, Mark E. Olver, page 3)

Earls and Lalumiere’s criteria for exclusive zoophilia:
Preference for sex with nonhuman animals (preferential bestiality - zoophilia).
A clear case of preferential bestiality would meet the following criteria:
(1) the individual reports intense and recurrent sexual fantasies and urges about having sexual interactions with nonhuman animals, or reports repeated sexual interactions with nonhuman animals accompanied by strong sexual arousal;
(2) the individual chooses sexual interactions with nonhuman animals even when willing human partners are available;
(3) using objective measures, the individual shows greater sexual arousal to images of members of a nonhuman species than to images of humans, or shows greater sexual arousal to descriptions of sexual interactions with members of a nonhuman species than to descriptions of sexual interactions with humans.
(2002, A Case Study of Preferential Bestiality (Zoophilia), Christopher M. Earls, Martin L. Lalumiere, page 84)

"I am zoo exclusive and the very thought of having sex with a human disgusts me. Ask a homosexual if he wants to have sex with someone of the opposite gender."
(2002, Understanding Bestiality and Zoophilia, Hani Miletski, page 162)

I then add one more definition commonly used on the forum:
Fetishist: An individual interested in watching someone else having sex with an animal but having no desire to have sex with a non-human animal him/herself.

I'm going to have to disagree. I really get tired of this "zooier than thou" stuff. The term zoophile sounds like a way to signal that someone is more enlightened than people who do it just for sex. One problem is that this is unnecessarily divisive. Congratulations then - you're a sophisticated pervert and I'll be a plain old pervert :) Another problem is that the term zoophilia actually was invented by the super-prude sex researcher Krafft-Ebing as a way to say that this desire is a mental disorder. To him, every kink was an ugly perversion, except the one he liked, which is women who stand up and piss.

I'm going to have to disagree. I really get tired of this "zooier than thou" stuff. The term zoophile sounds like a way to signal that someone is more enlightened than people who do it just for sex. One problem is that this is unnecessarily divisive. Congratulations then - you're a sophisticated pervert and I'll be a plain old pervert :) Another problem is that the term zoophilia actually was invented by the super-prude sex researcher Krafft-Ebing as a way to say that this desire is a mental disorder. To him, every kink was an ugly perversion, except the one he liked, which is women who stand up and piss.

Isn't a collective working together to shift perception of derogatory terms to one that holds positive values a good thing? There is a difference in perversion and romantic or intimate attraction and I think that holier than thou attitude isn't so offensive at all. Unless it is a means to treat a relationship as inherently equal and equivalent to human partnerships without acknowledging the complexity of human and animal companions. I do think shared definitions are helpful. The kinsey scale test being in the bestiality as fetish section is interesting to me, for example.

Isn't a collective working together to shift perception of derogatory terms to one that holds positive values a good thing? There is a difference in perversion and romantic or intimate attraction and I think that holier than thou attitude isn't so offensive at all. Unless it is a means to treat a relationship as inherently equal and equivalent to human partnerships without acknowledging the complexity of human and animal companions. I do think shared definitions are helpful. The kinsey scale test being in the bestiality as fetish section is interesting to me, for example.
In general, there's already been too much redefining things to fit into agendas. We don't have to do that too.

If we redefine zoophilia as "loving animals", it loses clarity. Suppose there's a church lady who loves her cat, but the kinkiest she ever gets is riding her husband in the cowgirl position. By that definition, she's a zoophile, even though nobody else uses the term that way. Most pet owners are zoophiles by that standard, including ones who never had a sexual thought about them, but that's not what the word really means.

What I see going on here a lot is making an artificial distinction between zoophilia, considered to be something pure, and bestiality which is for horny bastards. I do love my pets, which according to the redefinition makes me a zoophile. I've never had sex with them, and I'm not inclined to do so, but I do enjoy watching adventurous women having fun with it. Here, that makes me one of those horny bastards. So do I jump onto the pedestal and claim my gold star, or do I hang my head in shame for being a dirty old man? Heck if I know. The thing is, though, that society considers all of us perverts.

I don't know why this makes me sad to read...I'm pan and to me that mean I love all that come my way and are deserving of my ❤️ love and understanding

Back