Cynology tips

X3M

Tourist
I've found a pooch that enjoys human company (me at least). The problem is that she doesn't react to her name because it couldn't be her real name. Probably because her owner didn't teach her to do so. She is a pretty old doggo, 8 years. Are there some tricks to make the dog recognize her name at that age?

I've found a pooch that enjoys human company (me at least). The problem is that she doesn't react to her name because it couldn't be her real name. Probably because her owner didn't teach her to do so. She is a pretty old doggo, 8 years. Are there some tricks to make the dog recognize her name at that age?
The same you would do with a puppy. Use the name as her name, over time she will get it. Age does not restrict learning abilities that much.

The same you would do with a puppy. Use the name as her name, over time she will get it. Age does not restrict learning abilities that much.
I believe it's not a problem if other people call her by her name (i.e. it shouldn't be only me)?

Sit down with some some treats and say her name, toss a treat to her, repeat. When you say her name and she looks at you expecting a treat, she's assossciated her name with looking at you. From that point on when you call her name, give her a treat or attention.

Sit down with some some treats and say her name, toss a treat to her, repeat. When you say her name and she looks at you expecting a treat, she's assossciated her name with looking at you. From that point on when you call her name, give her a treat or attention.
Sadly it doesn't work. Could it be that dog ignoring me? Though she approaches if I make some distance, large enough. She doesn't seem to have hearing or vision issues, so I guess something with her behavior.

Sadly it doesn't work. Could it be that dog ignoring me? Though she approaches if I make some distance, large enough. She doesn't seem to have hearing or vision issues, so I guess something with her behavior.
What treats are you using? Does she like them?

I don't know what she likes so I just give her normal food.
No dog is going to consider normal food as treats. Stop doing that.
Get something that she absolutely loves, honestly you can teach a polar bear to do back flips using raisins if that is what he likes. :D
Do not use dry processed treats too much, unless she particularly likes certain dry treats they usually do not last long until they become too booring, do not use sweet treats. Sugar damages teeth. Store bought treats are full of whatever stabilizers and chemistry and you have to consider that she is going to eat kilograms of that over time.

Use meat and boil it for 20 minutes to sterilize it, it lasts several days this way. You can use cheap meat but do not use too much fat because that will cause some digestive problems.
Cooked, unsalted, plain meat is by far the best and cheapest treat you can use as it is irresistible to the point of random dogs on the street sticking their noses in your pocket while being super simple to digest for a carnivore. Make the treats small enough to be rewarding but not so big that she has to chew them. This helps to retain focus.

As the weather gets harsher and colder, and since she refuses to get inside any building (treats don't work for this), is there a way to stay in the dog's social circle? Because having an outdoor activity for too long is a bit hard when it's -10C outside.

As the weather gets harsher and colder, and since she refuses to get inside any building (treats don't work for this), is there a way to stay in the dog's social circle? Because having an outdoor activity for too long is a bit hard when it's -10C outside.
why does she refuse?
Is it she is scared of getting inside? or just wants to leave once she has been inside for a while?

What is exactly her limit point for entering?

What is hercage and fir how long have you had her?
Are you aware of anything that happened to her that could have conditioned her?

She had a quite troubled past as she was forcefully moved inside a house when there was a mass poisoning of stray dogs (long ago) and in her early years, she was pushed away by almost everyone. She also used to live outside as locals built a small shelter for her where she lives now. But since no one cared about her training, she was on her own the most of time. At least that's what I know from people who were supporting her in the past.

I managed to play with her after 1 month of 'bonding', thought, but it was hard to do since I needed to catch a moment and she never stops if asked. In total, we know each other for 3 months.

Um. That I supposed.
Untrain is way more difficult than train, but faesible. In fact, that should not be too difficult if you find the "adecuate way" for her. (I solved a symilar issue in less then an hour, but she was a pup, I was much younger, and I do not think I'd do it the same way nowadays)

For her, it is not that bad. Given a good shelter outside she will be ok, but I assume you'd *like* her to come inside, plus it is good she does not have something to fear at home.

Best option would be getting a good trainer cause he would be able to gauge her reaction and find the best way for it.

Just as ideas. Take with a truckload of salt!!

- Try first differet buildings (industrial, big door, high ceilings, porch with two or three walls... whatever she accepts better and work from there.

- My first idea would be to walk her on the leash, head to the house FAST until she stops. Hold there, chill, try to have her seat or better lie down... sit at her side, wait whatever it takes for her to calm. Then continue the walk away from the house and repeat.

- You may also leash her at the comfort zone limit, leave some food a little bit further. (I do not like that so much because you are not involved here)

- I have seen this work too, if she has some good dog friends get them and try that the "guide her in" (even leashed). In group they are usually more daring

So my first mate lived outside for the first 8 years of her life You'll have to desensitize her to the new environment give her a space she can call her own with a dog bed and food and water. Don't drag her inside cause that is a traumatizing experience instead either try to guide her or if you can pick her up and carry her in so she doesn't feel threatened. Put her in that space and when she's ready she'll start to explore the rest of the house. She'll come around on her own time as long as you're there to comfort her and keep her calm.

So my first mate lived outside for the first 8 years of her life You'll have to desensitize her to the new environment give her a space she can call her own with a dog bed and food and water. Don't drag her inside cause that is a traumatizing experience instead either try to guide her or if you can pick her up and carry her in so she doesn't feel threatened. Put her in that space and when she's ready she'll start to explore the rest of the house. She'll come around on her own time as long as you're there to comfort her and keep her calm.
Do you mean to build another shelter outside? She's quite heavy (husky-size) and will return to her default place no matter what, so I'm not sure why to make another cage outside.

Um. That I supposed.
Untrain is way more difficult than train, but faesible. In fact, that should not be too difficult if you find the "adecuate way" for her. (I solved a symilar issue in less then an hour, but she was a pup, I was much younger, and I do not think I'd do it the same way nowadays)

For her, it is not that bad. Given a good shelter outside she will be ok, but I assume you'd *like* her to come inside, plus it is good she does not have something to fear at home.

Best option would be getting a good trainer cause he would be able to gauge her reaction and find the best way for it.

Just as ideas. Take with a truckload of salt!!

- Try first differet buildings (industrial, big door, high ceilings, porch with two or three walls... whatever she accepts better and work from there.

- My first idea would be to walk her on the leash, head to the house FAST until she stops. Hold there, chill, try to have her seat or better lie down... sit at her side, wait whatever it takes for her to calm. Then continue the walk away from the house and repeat.

- You may also leash her at the comfort zone limit, leave some food a little bit further. (I do not like that so much because you are not involved here)

- I have seen this work too, if she has some good dog friends get them and try that the "guide her in" (even leashed). In group they are usually more daring
She has no friends and she's hostile to every stray dog (because it's fun?). The problem is everything in my area is apartment complexes and all of them are enclosed. Should I wait until it'll become freezing and try to lure her to a place where it's warmer? She has short fur, so I assume she won't stay where it's too cold.

Use her name over an over all the time… and make it sound happy… an with treats repeating her name. Dogs like horses respond really well to positivity!🥰

Do you mean to build another shelter outside? She's quite heavy (husky-size) and will return to her default place no matter what, so I'm not sure why to make another cage outside.
Nah, just a place she can be comfortable when it is cold and rains. If she is husky -10C is just mild weather. Just make sure her actual place is good and dry. (roof with no leaks, some wooden floor (pallet?) and a blanked if the present shelter is not isolated.
She has no friends and she's hostile to every stray dog (because it's fun?).
Ok. One idea less to worry about.
The problem is everything in my area is apartment complexes and all of them are enclosed.
Um. So if you convince her to enter the building. You still need to take her upstairs and into a closed apartment?
That will make things more difficult as neighbors won't be happy if you leave her at the entrance for hours 😓

You should find someone with a garage, or shop, or a werehouse that lets you take her there so at least she can be inside something and relax for an start.

Should I wait until it'll become freezing and try to lure her to a place where it's warmer? She has short fur, so I assume she won't stay where it's too cold.
Oh, I see. I understood she was husky, but she is short haired dog, husky *sized*. Maybe she will like to be inside, but won't come inside unless she already knows she is welcome and safe in there. So, no, I don't think that would convince her for coming in first time.

BTW... If you get her to come inside anywhere... DO NOT close a door, or do anything that she thinks you are trapping her. Door wide open, and if she tries to go out, (leashed) you calmly guide her out, try to enter again later when she has seen she can come out if she so wishes, and praising and petting while going in... or out too.

Back