Bunny and Buttons

Was wondering what the reaction to Bunny and her insanely rapidly progressing speech and thought process is. It seems that with outlets to express themselves our pals have a bunch to say, though us here have a better idea than most about that anyways.

Does anyone use buttons with their companions?

I think I would have to buy a new sex button on a weekly basis. :D
If you have a smart enough dog they could always improvise "Happy" "Play" "Pes"

I read a research paper a few years back about a dog who was being taught to press buttons on this over sized keyboard (so they could use the thing with their paws) each button when pressed said a word out loud. Now being able to use this keyboard to have basic conversations with the scientist is pretty impressive. However what happened one day completely stunned the researchers: The dog used to love going to the beach, but the button for beach had been broken ( the dog probably whacked it to hard with excitement) Any way the dog not being able to get the button to work pressed "Help" "Water" "Outside" showing that dog not only knew the words to but the context they could be used in to convey an idea. Up until that point it was believed only a select number of animals (like primates and dolphins) could grasp such concepts. So I see now the equipment has made it into home use, although some of the videos I just watched didn't seem to show as much grasp of language as some others. Then you had the human asking the dog what they wanted and when told the human was like nope you can't have that or do that now. I'm not 100% sure dogs have a good grasp on what "later" means so in some ways it felt counterproductive to ask the dog what they wanted and them seemingly ignoring what they said. Although I guess that sort of thing is done everyday with or without buttons, if your reading their body language and actions.

Edit:
Nope I was wrong, my memory failed me it seems, it was Stella here is exactly what happened in the words of the person involved:

hunger4words
It was a bit of a manic Monday morning over here! But through the chaos, came great communication from Stella. Take a look at these two videos that show one of Stella’s buttons resetting, and how she responded to this situation. •
Video 1: When Stella said “outside,” her back right paw accidentally reset her “beach” button. Stella knows what that beeping sound means because this has happened several times before. Stella commented “Mad” then “Want” but her “want” button didn’t activate either! Unfortunately Stella’s beach button broke. •
Video 2: While Jake and I were discussing options, Stella walked to her device, looked where the “beach” button should be, and said, “Help water outside.”
• We can learn several lessons from our morning! First of all, we should always have backup buttons. Secondly, Stella gets upset when she can’t say one of her favorite words! Situations like these show why AAC users should never have words removed from their devices. Lastly, it’s incredible that Stella found a different way to communicate “beach” since her button was no longer an option.

Last edited:
I suggest watching the Stella videos. She has been working with her keyboard for a long time and communicates pretty complicated thoughts with it. The owner has published a book about her research with Stella and when you are watching Stella you can literally see the dog thinking. Clever girl. :D

I remember the first time I saw videos of this kind of thing. It shows just how intelligent non-human really are. Especially when they can improvise to communicate what they want with only the buttons they have. Like the dog that wanted to go to the beach, but the button for beach was broken, so it instead said "water, outside"

Back