Advices on how to introduce my new dog (Great Dane) to my cat.

Hello all. So in about a month I'm gonna pick up my new(and first) Great Dane bitch, who is gonna be around 10 months old at the time. What I know about her is that she lived in a small courtyard with 2 other Danes, she had her heat about 2 weeks ago, and that she is okay-ish with other dogs and humans.

Yes, I will have a zoophilic/romantic relationship with my bitch, most likely when her 2nd heat comes.
No, I don't and never will have another relationship with my cat other than pet-parent. I'm only interested in bitches and mares.

My cat is a male, a year and half old. He's a little bad tempered, like all cats. Likes to boss my GF around, and really enjoys fighting my hands to try to establish dominance daily, even tho he never succeeds and always shows obedience when he has to.
On the other hand tho, when we have guests, he is the most scared kitty ever and always hides under his 6 feet tree-tower and never comes out until that someone leaves the house.
I've lived with him in my grandparents house for about a month, and it took him the whopping 2-3 weeks to even feel remotely safe around them. And he barely let them touch him before dashing away. They were always super friendly towards him.
We have tried bringing him outside with a cat harness, but he refused to step one foot out the door. If I pick him up and place him outside, he just crawls and freezes and doesn't move/jumps on the front door, begs to go back in, so I gave up on that and decided it's best for him to not do that if he doesn't like it.

The bad thing tho, is that he never ever lived near other animals except when he was very young and among his siblings and mom. And the Dane that I'm getting has most likely never seen a cat as well. So overall I'm quite anxious to their meeting and getting along process.

I'm working from home so for the first 2-3 months after I get her there's always gonna be someone near them to avoid any unwanted scenarios.
Yes I've already red and watched a ton of stuff about getting them along, but I would appreciate if anyone that has been in a similar situation share some advices on how you approached the situation.

Id keep them in separate rooms at first. When we got my boy he was in the hall and my cat was in the living room for a few hours. They'd smell each other then. Idk if that was enough time but eh.
The cat was not having it when we opened the door 😂 he went somewhere else, but my dog was a puppy so he was so wild. After a few slaps he was done though.
Sure, they'll need some time getting used to each other but eventually they'll find out who's the boss it's the cat
Id make sure both of them have spaces where they can be alone, which is easier for the cat tbh and i believe they need it more anyway haha

oh in case you're curious, my fluffs are good friends now, they even clean each other
My cat still slaps my dog though

Its chance if they accept each other. However if any fights happen expect any acceptance to be destroyed since animals fight first over anything they call a threat. If curiosity turns to threat its over. Could be cat scratches the dog's nose or the dog prey drive activates finally theres territories/food dishes.

Pretty much solve these during their young years assuming it goes well.

We introduced our lab to our cats when he was around 3 mos old, first we kept him in a separate gated room that the cats could sniff at and access; then we just slowly let the cats acclimate to him. One still hates him because she's a crochety bitch cat, the other two are pretty chill with him unless he really gets in their space.

Back