adopting a one year old unaltered doggo

SO we've been looking for a dog for a while and we finally found a promising one. I've kinda given up hope while living w the parents of adopting or keeping an unfixed dog BUT this one is not fixed. my mothers usually supper for getting our pets fixed but has just read an article about how it's healthier to leave them unaltered and is now considering not getting him fixed. I said id look into it for her as well. Does anyone have any resources themselves?

I want to of course be discrete and keep it to being for the health of the dog, of course, lmao

thanks in advance!

Even the AKC has finally spoken out that neutering can be harmful and should only "always" be done when medically necessary.

Here's a vet who broke down crying and nearly left the profession when she learned how harmful her decades of "always neuter" practice was to her patients.

Article by the American Veterinary Medical Association outlining the negative health effects of neutering, especially at a young age, vs the few "benefits", complete with an admission that the nearly century of blanket "neuter them all" was and is the wrong approach.

And there's plenty more.
That last one has a good part explaining how and why it became "the norm" in the US.

You can also look up and show the fact that in some parts of the EU it's actually illegal to neuter unless it's medically necessary.

And my vet was still against a uterus only spaying despite all the evidence I showed, sadly. Thankfully, another clinic was all for it. I was trying to weigh the risk and gain of her health and more potentially homeless puppies. Hopefully I made the right choice. ._.

thank you everyone! watched the video and we're pretty much in the agreement to play it by ear and see how he does with our other dog. and I've trained a couple of other dogs so we should be fine w that, unless he has other issues in that area it looks like will be keeping him intact!

thank you all again for the good resources!

SO we've been looking for a dog for a while and we finally found a promising one. I've kinda given up hope while living w the parents of adopting or keeping an unfixed dog BUT this one is not fixed. my mothers usually supper for getting our pets fixed but has just read an article about how it's healthier to leave them unaltered and is now considering not getting him fixed. I said id look into it for her as well. Does anyone have any resources themselves?

I want to of course be discrete and keep it to being for the health of the dog, of course, lmao

thanks in advance!
Unfortunately if your looking to adopt from a shelter the chance of you coming across a shelter that does not alter dogs is almost impossible. It's a nation wide mandate that any dog leaving the shelter setting gets neutered pre going to a home. This includes non profit shelters no kill shelters government funded shelters.... even small scale shelters all have a nation wide mandate to fix the animals.

For Unaltered animals it's best to go with a breeder. However, if you do want to adopt find a dog who hasent been in the shelter for long and they are about a year in a half to 2 years....if neutered past the age of maturity it should not stunt the dogs growth/development and they can still mantain a sex drive.

I'd say stay away from puppies from a shelter as they are neutered at as low an age as 6 months sometimes even younger than that....which can stunt growth and development of the dog.

Let me know if you have more questions :) always willing to help where I can.

Unfortunately if your looking to adopt from a shelter the chance of you coming across a shelter that does not alter dogs is almost impossible. It's a nation wide mandate that any dog leaving the shelter setting gets neutered pre going to a home. This includes non profit shelters no kill shelters government funded shelters.... even small scale shelters all have a nation wide mandate to fix the animals.

For Unaltered animals it's best to go with a breeder. However, if you do want to adopt find a dog who hasent been in the shelter for long and they are about a year in a half to 2 years....if neutered past the age of maturity it should not stunt the dogs growth/development and they can still mantain a sex drive.

I'd say stay away from puppies from a shelter as they are neutered at as low an age as 6 months sometimes even younger than that....which can stunt growth and development of the dog.

thank you! yeah, that's why I kinda gave up ever getting an intact dog bc were very pro adopt, (and honestly that's fine. as long as I have dog I'm good) but this dog was just kind of...handed to us. it feels like fate lamo the owners can't handle him but everyone I've talked to who has met him says he's the nicest chillest dog. and he's not fixed! (or shots. but we're going to those as soon as he gets here.)

thank you! yeah, that's why I kinda gave up ever getting an intact dog bc were very pro adopt, (and honestly that's fine. as long as I have dog I'm good) but this dog was just kind of...handed to us. it feels like fate lamo the owners can't handle him but everyone I've talked to who has met him says he's the nicest chillest dog. and he's not fixed! (or shots. but we're going to those as soon as he gets here.)
That's the dog you definitely should have then.....when you feel that connection to a dog.....like it's written in the stars.....then go with that dog because you won't come across those kinda of dogs all the time. I am around dog for work and have been for well over 5 years now....I love all the dogs I've interacted with and my love grows deeper for those dogs I've been able to have a lustful and passionate bond with.... however; I've only come across a handful of dogs that I feel like they were destined to be mine....when you get that feeling just go for it :) it will be worth it.

6 months? There are plenty of shelters doing it as early as 6 weeks and calling it healthy. I've noticed for cats they don't seem to have huge issues with it but dogs, especially bigger dogs. Lots of problems come up.

6 months? There are plenty of shelters doing it as early as 6 weeks and calling it healthy. I've noticed for cats they don't seem to have huge issues with it but dogs, especially bigger dogs. Lots of problems come up.
6 months was just a general age I threw out technically animals can be adopted by the time they are 8 weeks old....and as long as they meet the weight requirement for that age ....once they reach that point they will be fixed by the shelter. Development and how early altering does not occur to them it's strictly to "control the overpopulation problem" all if which are caused by stupid ass people.....and to an extent I get it ...some morons adopt animals and would just add fuel to a already bad abandonment fire but it just sucks the animal suffers stupid people should be held to account for their stupid actions and be punished for it.....not turn it into the animal having to suffer.

Well... from what i've read across the years and heard from many. Neutering/Spaying actually benefits the health of the animal after a certain period (usually around 4-5 years old, specially on females). Buuuuuut, this is a pretty much debatable topic. If you can get an unaltered male, go for him, still, you'll have to gain his trust and he must trust on everyone first. It takes time as the dog has already moved from that time between 2-4 months where they learn and adapt to the family and the whole environment where he'll live. So, it is posible that he may have some first issues when relating to people/other pets. So, first try to get confident on that and also you gotta get his trust if you're planning on letting him if he'll be part of your sexual life or not.

But i'm glad you can have a dog, they're wonderful partners :D

Well... from what i've read across the years and heard from many. Neutering/Spaying actually benefits the health of the animal after a certain period (usually around 4-5 years old, specially on females). Buuuuuut, this is a pretty much debatable topic. If you can get an unaltered male, go for him, still, you'll have to gain his trust and he must trust on everyone first. It takes time as the dog has already moved from that time between 2-4 months where they learn and adapt to the family and the whole environment where he'll live. So, it is posible that he may have some first issues when relating to people/other pets. So, first try to get confident on that and also you gotta get his trust if you're planning on letting him if he'll be part of your sexual life or not.

I completely agree! update I guess since I've been busy w training and forgot this site existed lmao.

we did end up getting him fixed bc he's a bit too interested in out older female even tho she's fixed and 11. he was also trying to hump her non sexually so we opted to get him fixed. I can say it's been about a month of healing (we got him the day of my first post and fixed him by the end of the month) and so far there's no change in his interest toward myself. he wanted to go since day one. (were taking things slow tho. just licking and handjobs)

hes not being sexual or dominate w our older dog anymore tho so it worked out perfect!

while I'm here actually when do you guys believe it's safe to have sex after his neuter. he's got his stiches out and everything but I'm so nervous ill hurt him.

It is true that fixing when older can benefit their health. Specifically with female dogs, every time females go through a heat cycle they basically are at risk of developing cancer. It's no guarantee and dogs live full lives without ever being altered but the chance does increase the older they get.

I completely agree! update I guess since I've been busy w training and forgot this site existed lmao.

we did end up getting him fixed bc he's a bit too interested in out older female even tho she's fixed and 11. he was also trying to hump her non sexually so we opted to get him fixed. I can say it's been about a month of healing (we got him the day of my first post and fixed him by the end of the month) and so far there's no change in his interest toward myself. he wanted to go since day one. (were taking things slow tho. just licking and handjobs)

hes not being sexual or dominate w our older dog anymore tho so it worked out perfect!

How did you end up catching his interest ? using fluids? or just motion?

was jacking off one day after we got him and he sleeps in my room. my previous dog had no interest but this one was ready to go. maybe it's a pitbull thing. the only other dog I had that showed interest right away was also a pit.

he hasn't shown want to hump more then my hand yet but im not pushing anything.

It is true that fixing when older can benefit their health. Specifically with female dogs, every time females go through a heat cycle they basically are at risk of developing cancer. It's no guarantee and dogs live full lives without ever being altered but the chance does increase the older they get.
my first dog passed horribly from cervical cancer from not being fixed at age five. it's a horrid thing to watch. I honestly suggest if you have an unaltered female either get her fixed by four or have her have a litter. worst thing I've ever watched.

wait what? i have no idea what you're trying to say lmao
There are a fair amount in this community who see it as always a negative. Mutilation basically. Not sure where they are but in the US most adoption places desex the animals before they give them to you. In fact in a lot of places it's the law for shelters.

There are a fair amount in this community who see it as always a negative. Mutilation basically. Not sure where they are but in the US most adoption places desex the animals before they give them to you. In fact in a lot of places it's the law for shelters.
I figured that's what he was trying to say but ugh he butchered it. all in all, I think it's the owner's choice. I live in a state where pits are insanely over populated and id rather not cause more of that if he ever gets out then have a dog that wants to fuck. plus its been almost a month and he's still as interested as ever so :/

I figured that's what he was trying to say but ugh he butchered it. all in all, I think it's the owner's choice. I live in a state where pits are insanely over populated and id rather not cause more of that if he ever gets out then have a dog that wants to fuck. plus its been almost a month and he's still as interested as ever so :/
I wouldn't worry too much about accidental pregnancy with a pit over any other type of dog. Pits in particular... There are people who breed the ever living fuck out of them trying to get them as muscular and aggressive as popular. In some circles this is seen as desirable and people will on occasion pay through the nose for "game" bred dogs. This leads some of them to think their dogs are worth 3,4,5,10,20k and they just get dollar bills in their eyes.

Shit I remember my mother dated a lunatic for a while who bred them, he would force the bitches to give puppies until they died then line breed any female back to the father if they showed "game." He'd claim his pit bulls were 3000-5000 dollar dogs but gave away tons of them for free to friends and family. Also killed a fair amount of "unworthy" dogs. Dude was fucking bananas...

But anyways, for you preventing maybe one litter like that over 10 years there's thousands of that guy making 20-30 litters and dumping the vast majority of them. It's why the breed is oversaturated.

I wouldn't worry too much about accidental pregnancy with a pit over any other type of dog. Pits in particular... There are people who breed the ever living fuck out of them trying to get them as muscular and aggressive as popular. In some circles this is seen as desirable and people will on occasion pay through the nose for "game" bred dogs. This leads some of them to think their dogs are worth 3,4,5,10,20k and they just get dollar bills in their eyes.

Shit I remember my mother dated a lunatic for a while who bred them, he would force the bitches to give puppies until they died then line breed any female back to the father if they showed "game." He'd claim his pit bulls were 3000-5000 dollar dogs but gave away tons of them for free to friends and family. Also killed a fair amount of "unworthy" dogs. Dude was fucking bananas...

But anyways, for you preventing maybe one litter like that over 10 years there's thousands of that guy making 20-30 litters and dumping the vast majority of them. It's why the breed is oversaturated.
id still rather not add to that. there are tons of unfixed pits around here. also, there being a ton of unfixed dogs around. yeah, I'm not risking him getting out.

honestly what you said is even more reason to fix every pit unless you're a very ethical and smart breeder. at least where I live unfixed pits have been stolen for even fighting or breeding. its just safer to have gotten him fixed and he's just as happy.

id still rather not add to that. there are tons of unfixed pits around here. also, there being a ton of unfixed dogs around. yeah, I'm not risking him getting out.

honestly what you said is even more reason to fix every pit unless you're a very ethical and smart breeder. at least where I live unfixed pits have been stolen for even fighting or breeding. its just safer to have gotten him fixed and he's just as happy.
If people are stealing pits in your area for fighting i'd still be careful AF then. Dogs get stolen for training the "game" dogs on too.

Back