A question about mules

I know this is probably a stupid question, but i know that the majority of mules are infertile because of how the genes of horses and donkeys mix, but i want to know if they still go into heat and attempt to breed.
im asking because i love equines and want some for when i start a homestead, but dont want a bunch of foals. I dont believe in having them ''fixed'' as that to me is animal crueltie.

They're sterile, not infertile. Both of the "base models" share the "goes into heat" feature. They do cycle, it's just that the gene-mangling means they nearly always fail to catch preggers. If more johns were left uncut, we might see more mule x mule matings turn out to be viable. But johns are routinely cut for handling reasons. It's been seen - documented several times - and the offspring have looked mostly horse-ish. Haven't heard anything about such offspring breeding, but that only means I haven't heard about it, not that it hasn't happened.

Female mules do cycle but not all of them do so normally. Some don't cycle at all, some have inconsistent cycles, and some cycle normally. There is not a lot of good information out there but lots of anecdotes about it. They are a mix between donkey and mare sexuality showing behavior from each. Most consider them sterile however there isn't great evidence of just how sterile. Since no one out there is trying to get female mules pregnant no one knows if its 1/1000 chance or 1/100000 chance. There are several documented cases of female mules carrying foals so it is certainly not impossible.

Male mules are probably sterile too but again its not like anyone is out there studying them. In fact even finding an intact male mule is almost impossible. I have been around horses for many years and I have NEVER seen a single intact male mule. No one keeps intact mules. In fact I'm fairly certain all mule breed registries and organizations specifically don't allow intact males since there is no reason for them to exist. You would have to create your male yourself or find one young enough to still be intact. Having an intact male mule would seriously draw some attention to yourself. I'm usually not one to say "everyone will think you are a zoo" but an intact male mule is at the top of that list. It would be SUPER strange and at best everyone will think you are insane. Seriously I've never seen or heard of one.

For keeping a few equines around there are a few options. You can keep a stallion and some female mules. Very low chance of getting foals but not impossible. I might actually try this experiment if I can get a nice molly mule myself. See how infertile they really are. You could get a mare's tubes tied or get the male a vasectomy. Neither of these are anywhere near as hard to get done as people think. The vasectomy is much easier just like in humans. People will still think you are super weird but its your animal. On the list of things people do to their animals getting a vasectomy for a stallion isn't going to bother most vets. Just have to find one who knows how to do it and give them some money.

Back