A new horse lovers guide to networking

Cowboi69

Zooville Philanthropist
BANNED USER
Here's a guide to how to get your own horse even if you currently don't have a big enough property for one.
You want to look on a local FB group/Craigslist for the type of people who cherish horses to their own determinate at times. Don't look for the well off types because they're more than likely going to be a bit snobby to someone who's not experienced with working around these animals.

When you find the person near by ask about paying for hands on horse lessons. Do that for a few months, and keep your hands to yourself. You're not experienced enough, it's not your horse, and you don't know the temperament of this strangers horse.

After a few months of this take this person out to a BBQ or family dinner. And around or after that talk about maybe being a free helpful hand at their ranch in exchange for a discount. It'll help both parties and you'll be working around whatever animal has caught your eye.

Now this next part is very important. Get a fucking job that pays well. Then after maybe a year ask the owner if you could buy the horse you have your eye on and also pay for him to board said horse. Make sure you're in a financial situation to be able to pull this off.

Finally make it a habit of taking said horse out after dark for a couple months(just make sure it doesn't spook easily). This will make the ranch owner comfortable with you handling YOUR horse in the middle of the night.

There you go. Thank you for reading an idiots guide on how to get into this dying industry.

NEVER TELL YOU'RE A ZOO

Last edited:
This is a pretty cool guide. I was half expecting a guide to safety in networking among forum users and such, but this is a much more interesting take.

Time to get some horse-riding lessons.

Here's a guide to how to get your own horse even if you currently don't have a big enough property for one.
You want to look on a local FB group/Craigslist for the type of people who cherish horses to their own determinate at times. Don't look for the well off types because they're more than likely going to be a bit snobby to someone who's not experienced with working around these animals.

When you find the person near by ask about paying for hands on horse lessons. Do that for a few months, and keep your hands to yourself. You're not experienced enough and don't the terminate of this strangers horse.

Needs some touchup in that last sentence, but so far, so good...

After a few months of this take this person out to a BBQ or family dinner. And around or after that talk about maybe being a free helpful hand at their ranch in exchange for a discount. It'll help both parties and you'll be working around whatever animal has caught your eye.
Now this next part is very important. Get a fucking that pays well. Did you mean "job" in there?

Then after maybe a year ask the owner if you could buy the horse you have your eye on and also pay for him to board said horse. Make sure you're in a financial situation to be able to pull this off.

Ehhhh... COULD work, I guess. Definitely gotta play by ear on this one - Only a dumbass is gonna ask to buy Ol' Dobbin when (s)he's heard about how precious a part of the family Dobbin is, and similar... On the other hand, if there's been hints of getting rid of him/her, perhaps a viable concept.

Finally make it a habit of taking said horse out after dark for a couple months(just make sure it doesn't spook easily). This will make the ranch owner comfortable with you handling YOUR horse in the middle of the night.

Uh... Well intended, but pretty sus, at least to me.

There you go. Thank you for reading an idiots guide on how to get into this dying industry.

NEVER TELL YOU'RE A ZOO

That last part is what too many forget about. Good way to find yourself being passed around on the horsey grapevine - and believe me from 50 years of seeing it in action at one barn or another, THAT old-school tech has Twatter beat hollow.

Needs some touchup in that last sentence, but so far, so good...

Ehhhh... COULD work, I guess. Definitely gotta play by ear on this one - Only a dumbass is gonna ask to buy Ol' Dobbin when (s)he's heard about how precious a part of the family Dobbin is, and similar... On the other hand, if there's been hints of getting rid of him/her, perhaps a viable concept.

Uh... Well intended, but pretty sus, at least to me.

That last part is what too many forget about. Good way to find yourself being passed around on the horsey grapevine - and believe me from 50 years of seeing it in action at one barn or another, THAT old-school tech has Twatter beat hollow.
Fixed it.

Unfortunately this doesn’t work with stallions because there isn’t a ranch owner or boarding facility on this fucking planet that will rent stall and pasture space to a stallion owner and it’s the bane of my whole existence

There are places that will board stallions, call around. But it's just better to get your own place.
Trust me. This isn’t my first time at the rodeo. I know what’s available. Hopefully I’ll be able to build my barn soon and not have to worry about it anymore

When you find the person near by ask about paying for hands on horse lessons. Do that for a few months, and keep your hands to yourself. You're not experienced enough, it's not your horse, and you don't know the temperament of this strangers horse.

Now this next part is very important. Get a fucking job that pays well. Then after maybe a year ask the owner if you could buy the horse you have your eye on and also pay for him to board said horse. Make sure you're in a financial situation to be able to pull this off.

NEVER TELL YOU'RE A ZOO
An interesting treatise, not certain how to 'respond' to it. UR20Z provides some valuable feedback/information. Yes, for those that are stallion focused, knowledge and experience are an absolute must and finding boarding facilities can be problematic. Miniature stallions much less so. As for night outings perhaps the best way to be less conspicuous would be to have an afternoon/evening job or at least establish a schedule that makes it appear so. Afternoon visits (before work) would help establish this. After a time then inquire if the facility/stable owner or manager would be okay with 'after hours' visits. Consistancy and establishing trust is most important. I have mentored a few selected others in the past but none of my beloved equine companions are for sale BUT I am searching for possible placements for those that survive me.

Last edited:
An interesting treatise, not certain how to 'respond' to it. UR20Z provides some valuable feedback/information. Yes, for those that are stallion focused, knowledge and experience are an absolute must and finding boarding facilities can be problematic. Miniature stallions much less so. As for night outings perhaps the best way to be less conspicuous would be to have an afternoon/evening job or at least establish a schedule that makes it appear so. Afternoon visits (before work) would help establish this. After a time then inquire if the facility/stable owner or manager would be okay with 'after hours' visits. Consistancy and establishing trust is most important. I have mentored a few selected others in the past but none of my beloved equine companions are for sale BUT I am searching for possible placements of those that survive me.
Those that survive you? That sounds ominous.

Uhhhh. Horse and pony sales is a normal daily business in the US at least. so if you really want a pony or horse stallion just google horse training and breeding in your area for whatever breed and go buy a stallion. That easy. Horse trainers for show competition will board stallions but access would be problematic at best due to the professional nature of a training facility. Other private and public facilities rarely accept stallions.
Pony’s don’t require much space if you care for them well. Feet trimming and good food imperative.

Those that survive you? That sounds ominous.
Not so much "ominous" as knowing damned well that sooner or later regardless of plans or preparations (or lack of same) you're going to get a tap on the shoulder and hear IT IS TIME. COME WITH ME. (Terry Pratchett reference there, for those who didn't catch it) and the critters in our care are going to be left behind to be dealt with by someone else from now on.

Something those of us who have been in this "game" for a while know FAR too well...

"When we are young
wandering the face of the earth
wondering what our dreams might be worth
learning that we're only immortal
for a limited time." - N. Peart

A lesson every damned one of us has to learn sooner or later, like it or don't.

Uhhhh. Horse and pony sales is a normal daily business in the US at least. so if you really want a pony or horse stallion just google horse training and breeding in your area for whatever breed and go buy a stallion. That easy. Horse trainers for show competition will board stallions but access would be problematic at best due to the professional nature of a training facility. Other private and public facilities rarely accept stallions.
Pony’s don’t require much space if you care for them well. Feet trimming and good food imperative.
Not so much "ominous" as knowing damned well that sooner or later regardless of plans or preparations (or lack of same) you're going to get a tap on the shoulder and hear IT IS TIME. COME WITH ME. (Terry Pratchett reference there, for those who didn't catch it) and the critters in our care are going to be left behind to be dealt with by someone else from now on.

Something those of us who have been in this "game" for a while know FAR too well...

"When we are young
wandering the face of the earth
wondering what our dreams might be worth
learning that we're only immortal
for a limited time." - N. Peart

A lesson every damned one of us has to learn sooner or later, like it or don't.
I guess if you are a boarding facility but not if your a private owner

I guess if you are a boarding facility but not if your a private owner
You need to use some more context - I ain't even sure WHO you're talking TO, never mind what it is you're trying to SAY.

If you were addressing me, you apparently need to be clued that "IT IS TIME. COME WITH ME." is Terry Pratchett-ese for "Congratulations - you are now dead."

(In Terry's Discworld novels, Death - yes, as in "The Grim Reaper", or "the guy with the scythe" - is an actual person, he always speaks in ALL CAPS, and frequently when someone dies, they feel a tap on their shoulder, and hear some variation of "IT IS TIME. COME WITH ME.")

My guide focuses on forming a closer bond than a souly business one. I've done most on the stuff listed and it's working out for me. If you find a less personal relationship with the original owner of said horses works for you then that's good to hear.

There's more work to it than most even know. We have a family run stables with 20 plus stalls, definitely not a easy task. Stallions add to the work but some are easier to handle than some, we prefer not to keep them for this reason. 4000 plus bale of hay every year and grain, cleaning, equipment costs, vet bills, and other expensive items add up. Don't forget the cameras that are in most barns now also. Good luck....

Back